Was something outside of boxing affecting Joshua vs Andy Ruiz ?

Metallicalabran

Don't be scared homie!
@Brown
Reaction score
I didnt visit this forum after the fight but what was the concenssus ??

I mean, Joshua looked very nervous and weird just before the fight, chewing the bucal protection on a very odd way, was his first fight in america too.

Ruiz was the better fighter for sure that night.

There was some information (i dont know if true) about Joshua having a panic attack just before the fight. Was that real? there was some problem with Joshua before the fight ??

what do you think ??

If there was nothing wrong with Joshua then Ruiz is going to destroy the dude in the rematch no question

Lots of rumours that you have covered already, the worst for me is that Joshua has recently blamed the ref for not putting his gumshield in before he waved it off

I think Joshua is done

I mean, Joshua looked very nervous and weird just before the fight, chewing the bucal protection on a very odd way, was his first fight in america too.

There was some information (i dont know if true) about Joshua having a panic attack just before the fight. Was that real? there was some problem with Joshua before the fight ??

what do you think ??

If there was nothing wrong with Joshua then Ruiz is going to destroy the dude in the rematch no question
Its said that Joshua was knocked out in sparring 9 days before

Pretty sure AJ was concussed 10 days out, from what people in the know have said.

Lots of rumours that you have covered already, the worst for me is that Joshua has recently blamed the ref for not putting his gumshield in before he waved it off

I think Joshua is done
Why do you think that is the worst out of them all? It did look to me as if Joshua said ''mouthpiece'' right before the fight was stopped

Why do you think that is the worst out of them all? It did look to me as if Joshua said ''mouthpiece'' right before the fight was stopped

Becausae he got fucking battered...he could have had a 20 minute rest, and still would have lost, and if he cant see that, then he's deluded

Last edited:
Every fighter has problems or injuries to deal with when they go in to fight. You think every fighter walking to the ring is 100% injury free with their life perfectly in order?

Ruiz was the better fighter that night.

Every fighter has problems or injuries to deal with when they go in to fight. You think every fighter walking to the ring is 100% injury free with their life perfectly in order?

I already know Ruiz was the better fighter

Of course no one is always 100% every night, but of course sometimes the fighters are so diminished in a given moment that they should not fight and everyone can tell that (not saying this is the case)

I am just asking if there is evidence Joshua had a serious problem before the fight.

I can assume that's just your opinion or do you have proof Joshua was ok.

Edit: to add on that, Joshua is such a huge name and there is so much money behind him that if there was really a problem before the fight probably everyone would know already because losing like that really hurt his brand... But again, we can only speculate and by your responses I guess the are no such thing as proof about Joshua having problems before the fight

Last edited:
Becausae he got fucking battered...he could have had a 20 minute rest, and still would have lost, and if he cant see that, then he's deluded
Oh I see. I thought you didn't believe that mouthpiece thing. He did truly get fucking battered in that fight

Oh I see. I thought you didn't believe that mouthpiece thing. He did truly get fucking battered in that fight

Nah, if he thinks that was the reason he lost that fight, then he is in for another ass whooping when they meet again

Cuz he's not as good a boxer as his image portrays and i believe he knows it now. He cannot afford to underestimate opponents like he did. (For comparison: a guy like prime Roy Jones could)

He underestimated Ruiz and if indeed he was concussed by his sparring opponent he probably felt too good for that as well.

He is a good sport's man and boxer, but not an all time great.

what do you think ??

Rumours of him being knocked out a week before the fight, which explains why Joshuas old man was rowing with Eddie in the ring after the fight.

However, Joshua has used no excuse, so fair play to him. He may not have been fully fit, but lots of fighters aren't come fight night. In reality he was winning the fight up to the first knock down, got caught thinking he could finish Ruiz, and paid the price.

Cuz he's not as good a boxer as his image portrays and i believe he knows it now. He cannot afford to underestimate opponents like he did. (For comparison: a guy like prime Roy Jones could)

He underestimated Ruiz and if indeed he was concussed by his sparring opponent he probably felt too good for that as well.

He is a good sport's man and boxer, but not an all time great.

If the rumours are true regards the concussion, he probably fought so as to not cancel the card. Loads of brits would've already booked their flights and tickets by then. That's why I assume it wasn't cancelled

I don't think he underestimated him. Or if he did he won't do it again. He'll be safety first for the whole of their rematch

I think Joshua is done

Why because he lost 1 fight? Lets at least see what he looks like in the return first.

If the rumours are true regards the concussion, he probably fought so as to not cancel the card. Loads of brits would've already booked their flights and tickets by then. That's why I assume it wasn't cancelled

I don't think he underestimated him. Or if he did he won't do it again. He'll be safety first for the whole of their rematch

Yeah probably

I know it's boxing and accidents happen, but my take on this is if u are world champ and you get concussed by your sparring partner.. you weren't fully present mentally.

The 2 rumors that I heard were that Joshua was concussed in training less than 2 weeks before the fight and the other one was he didn't look the same mentally cause he wasn't on PEDs and didn't feel the same.

He's lost a lot of muscle mass recently based on his pictures but that might or might not be due to no longer using PEDs. Roach has been saying that Joshua was lifting weights too much and needed to lose some muscle mass so that he's more mobile and has better cardio like when he was an amateur and his early pro fights.

That's an excessively simplistic way to look at things. I'm gonna explain why in details, please bear with me.

While it's true that fighters don't step in the ring injury-free 100% of the time, not every injury is equally serious. Some small injuries like a black eye only have minimal impact on the result of a fight while other injuries can be way more severe and significantly lower a fighter's odds of winning (e.g. broken ribs, torn ACL, cerebral hemorrhage, gunshot wounds to vital organs).

As for Joshua's injury. It's a well-known fact that surfering a concussion within 2 months leading up to a fight considerably weakens one's ability to take more shots. It's like every punch you take to the head will have twice as much power as it should have. That means once you get knocked out in sparring, the likelihood of you getting knocked down or out on fight night skyrockets. If Ruiz was concussed prior to getting in the ring, the uppercut-left hook Joshua landed on him in round 3 would have ended the fight. Since Ruiz recovered quickly and completely, it's safe to say he wasn't concussed.

At this point, I've probably lost you already so here's an example to help you understand. Let's consider the following discussion between person A and person B:

- A: Next time I visit the zoo, I'm gonna jump into the lions' enclosure and pet them.
- B: Don't do it man, it's dangerous.
- A: Oh, so when you drive your car to work, it's 100% safe? People die in car crashes every year dude.

The problem here is, even though A's statement of fact is objectively correct (driving is indeed not 100% safe) the conclusion he drew from said fact is very dumb ("if people can drive to work, why can't I pet lions?"). In fact, the chances of dying from petting lions (or other apex predators such as tigers or hippos) are significantly higher than those of dying behind the wheel. A failed to understand not every activity involving a risk is equally dangerous, just like you failed to get that not every injury is equally serious.

I hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
Why because he lost 1 fight? Lets at least see what he looks like in the return first.

No, because he is blaming the ref for not replacing his mouthguard as the reason he lost, totally ignoring the fact he looked completely lost in there and was taking a beating.

This wasnt some flash KO, he was beaten over a number of rounds, and knocked down several times, he was beaten in every area of the fight, for him to suggest the ref was to blame, is uttterly ridiculous and unless that is just a public excuse, he is in for a rude awakening if they fight again

Back