Was Silva that physically gifted?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by sheepdogexpress, May 11, 2014.

1. sheepdogexpress

sheepdogexpress White Belt

There is all this talk about Silva being physically gifted even with all the losses recently.

Isn't it possible that the guy just has zero fight IQ and just plans for a 1 round fight and this exaggerates his physical abilities.

E.g Someone sprinting as fast as possible in the first 200m of an 800m race and giving the perception that he's faster than anyone else. When dialed back to actually complete the race, this runner would show that he isn't really faster than anyone else. Just someone who's dumb.

If Silva were to remove his half a round blitz and plan for a 15-25 minute fight, we might just see a regular, perhaps below average physical abilities.

Johnny Hendricks isn't known for Cardio, but his pace he put on against Condit in their fight was a similarly high pace as Silva's and he maintained that for the most part for 15minutes. Similarly, GSP, particularly during his prime was able to maintain a crazy pace for 25 minute. The point is, these guys can match silvas physical abilities for entire fights and I would consider these guys gifted athletes.

Someone like Silva I think looks more physically talented than he is because he blows his energy in a round. If GSP and Johnny Hendricks did that, they would look like super heroes when they do it. Silva's can take out cans using such a method, but people that can handle that pace because they fight at a high level of competition and are used to it, are likely to survive the blitz and take him out.

2. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

He is physically gifted imo, except for his cardio. He is fast, strong, explosive, has KO power, but seems to burn his gas too quick trying to get a sub.
    I think he lets the adrenaline get to him too.

3. doomy200

doomy200 Brown Belt

He doesn't seem to have a gameplan, or at least doesn't seem to execute it

4. surgeyou1

surgeyou1 Welcome to the Machida Era...Part Deux

Very athletic and talented but seems like a glass cannon

5. Corleone187

Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

TBH nothing wrong with his cardio.

I'm pretty sure I can make the best marathon runner in the world gas by softening him up with some body work

6. sheepdogexpress

sheepdogexpress White Belt

Particularly fighters, people that are physically gifted have cardio while maintaining a high pace.

The first round(or half a round) of an Erick Silva fight was him at 100% and when you consider that, you have to consider what would other fighters in the top 10 would look like from an athletic stand point if they planned for only 1 round? Not only would they win, but the guys in the top 5 probably have a good chance of smashing the guys in the upper fringe of the top 10.

7. BrazilianDude

BrazilianDude Gold Belt

Oh, come on... He took like 150 shots from Brown.

8. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

He just wilts when the fight doesn't go his way. He starts off like a rocket in the first round but his will breaks if his opponent survives the onslought

9. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

He was super gassed when they got back up from back mount, before Brown had even touched him. I don't know what the matter is here, if I had to guess I'd say he's pushing it with his weight cut.

10. itz reggie

itz reggie Green Belt

very talented he is still young, he needs the right camp.

11. Corleone187

Corleone187 ㄥ8ƖǝuoǝlɹoƆ

TBH a lot of cardio has to do with mental, not just physical.

If you demoralize a dude you'll cut his cardio. If a dude unloads on you and you dont fold he's gonna feel like sh*t cause he thinks he's so close to the finish line just to realize he's just at the start

12. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

I don't know man, he got back up after almost finishing Brown with strikes then a sub and he was literally dragging his feet and having trouble keeping his hands up. I don't think it was psychological.

13. EJRMAN513

EJRMAN513 Black Belt

Kind of reminds me of Vitor.

14. BenjaminDuffy

BenjaminDuffy Sansabelt Staff Member Sherdog.com Staff

He has a baby face, but he's going to be 30 in a couple of weeks, he's been fighting for nine years, and he has 20+ fights under his belt. He's no longer a young prospect. He could still get better (hell, look how much Matt Brown has improved in the past three years), but it's also very possible that this is just as good as Erick Silva is going to get.

15. Adipaddy

Adipaddy White Belt

It looked like a massive adrenaline dump he went for it and when he had to get back to his feet and looked completely Bolloxed! He's one of those guys who seems to have all the skills but just can't and maybe never will put it all together to be a real contender. But his fights are usually entertaining.

16. SP1D3R KN33S**

SP1D3R KN33S** Banned Banned

Well put ts. im a huge silva fan and i completely agree with this. i think he will get better with age but not have a long career b,c he eats to many shots

17. Metallicalabran

Metallicalabran Don't be scared homie!

he is explosive, fast and strong

that 200m sprinting comparison is ridiculous

the speed of your punches just cant be increased beyond a limit. Doesnt matter Jake Shields is into a 30 seconds fight, his punches never gonna be Silva's fast

18. a guy

a guy Black Belt

He's clearly very physically gifted. Very strong and powerful, he hurts people bad when he lands. Look at his posture and everything, he's a very strong athlete. He lacks cardio, the ability to manage his pace and the ability to make good decisions in a fight. He needs to build his game around his best moves, slow it down and stop trying to get fancy. Guys with similar athletic attributes who have success are Lombard, Woodley and probably manuwa.

19. Brlckt0p

Brlckt0p Green Belt

he looks like a normal sized WW though. maybe his body can't handle any type of weight cut very well?

it was pretty weird seeing him get up gassed, dragging his feet after Matt escaped. something I might expect from a HW making their debut. also didn't help that Matt is the last guy you want to gas against because of his constant output.

20. DLX

DLX thpinal

Enjoying my athleticism and explosiveness
    Probably the most explosive non black guy in the UFC.