Was roy nelson scared of Kimbo Slice?

Xyiencemma

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just remember Kimbo coming out to throw hands and Roy was ducking his head in a very non technical way. I'm not saying taking him down meant he was scared, that's just exposing a weakness. But during the actual stand up I remember Roy looking scared while Kimbo was throwing punches. Its strange when you look at how he stood there and threw back with Werdum, Dos Santos and Miocic. Was he just not developed enough or actually scared of Kimbo. My vote is scared!!!

I remember the episode in which they thought on TUF and before the fight Roy said he was not scared to stand and bang with Kimbo but he was not going to be a derp and keep it standing if he was losing.

Also Roy was not really aware of his knock out power at the time which came along later in his UFC career. He talked about it with Joe Rogan at the end of one of his fights although I do not remember which one it was.

Roy went about that tournament like a veteran fighter honestly.

I'm sure Roy knew he had some big power and overall had the best skillset of anyone on that show. He made a good point during taping (or maybe it was his blog) is that one of the most common things that eliminates people in that tournament are injuries (whether it forces a fighter to withdraw or hinder their ability in a fight). It makes sense when you fight as many times as you do in that tournament. Roy approached that whole show as a fighter who was fighting conservatively to get the win but not hurt himself in doing so.

That's probably why he didn't really bother taking on Kimbo on the feet. Don't think he'd want to risk a broken hand, especially as a grappler.

If you are a BJJ black belt fighting a guy allergic to the ground game with no take down defense, you do not Andy Wang it and try to bang with him.

IE if your opponents only chance of beating you is on the feet... Why bother? That's not being scared that's being smart. That being said, Kimbo hit's pretty hard. You wouldn't want to get hit by him either :icon_chee

If you are a BJJ black belt fighting a guy allergic to the ground game with no take down defense, you do not Andy Wang it and try to bang with him.

I already stated that in my post. Obviously he took the smart route. My question was if he was scared while he was getting punched at because by the looks of how he was ducking his head he looked scared to me

Roy went about that tournament like a veteran fighter honestly.

I'm sure Roy knew he had some big power and overall had the best skillset of anyone on that show. He made a good point during taping (or maybe it was his blog) is that one of the most common things that eliminates people in that tournament are injuries (whether it forces a fighter to withdraw or hinder their ability in a fight). It makes sense when you fight as many times as you do in that tournament. Roy approached that whole show as a fighter who was fighting conservatively to get the win but not hurt himself in doing so.

That's probably why he didn't really bother taking on Kimbo on the feet. Don't think he'd want to risk a broken hand, especially as a grappler.

This right here, also Roy was forced to stand with JDS, Werdum, and Miocic because his takedowns suck and unlike JDS, Werdum and Miocic, Kimbo has shitty TDD so he wasn't forced to stand with Kimbo.

It's been four years, who cares anymore?

I don't Roy is scared of anyone though.

I just remember Kimbo coming out to throw hands and Roy was ducking his head in a very non technical way. I'm not saying taking him down meant he was scared, that's just exposing a weakness. But during the actual stand up I remember Roy looking scared while Kimbo was throwing punches. Its strange when you look at how he stood there and threw back with Werdum, Dos Santos and Miocic. Was he just not developed enough or actually scared of Kimbo. My vote is scared!!!

That answers the question.

IE if your opponents only chance of beating you is on the feet... Why bother? That's not being scared that's being smart. That being said, Kimbo hit's pretty hard. You wouldn't want to get hit by him either :icon_chee

Everyone seems to be reading this wrong. I'm not saying you should bother to give a guy his only chance to win. I'm asking if others felt like Roy looked scared when Kimbo was striking towards him but apparently people cant see the question out of a paragraph in the tuf forum.

Roy had barely started training any stand up at that point, and as Nelson pointed out, in that format, fighting that often, he wanted to conserve energy.

I already stated that in my post. Obviously he took the smart route. My question was if he was scared while he was getting punched at because by the looks of how he was ducking his head he looked scared to me

Scared takes a back seat to not being a damn retard. He defended well enough to implement a game plan that Kimbo had zero chance of beating.

Scared takes a back seat to not being a damn retard. He defended well enough to implement a game plan that Kimbo had zero chance of beating.

I didn't know my question was about roys game plan? That's like someone starting a thread on Jon Jones wrestling and you start talking about his elbows

I guess I will just forget this thread since all anyone can talk about is that Roy was a smart fighter. My question is not being answered because people apparently cant read so I will go elsewhere. I guess I should just start talking about bj penn in jose aldo threads, and talking about cardio in ko power threads. Was my question about roys plan or how effective he was or was my question if people thought he looked scared

I didn't know my question was about roys game plan? That's like someone starting a thread on Jon Jones wrestling and you start talking about his elbows

Your question seems to be about how little you comprehend anything. I'm saying scared or not scared didn't come into play, he did exactly what he planed to do and was never going to engage on his feet even if he was the better striker because of the total lack of a ground game by his opponent. He even told everyone around the campfire the night before the fight that he would ground and pond while counting and they would have to stop the fight.

I guess I will just forget this thread since all anyone can talk about is that Roy was a smart fighter. My question is not being answered because people apparently cant read so I will go elsewhere. I guess I should just start talking about bj penn in jose aldo threads, and talking about cardio in ko power threads. Was my question about roys plan or how effective he was or was my question if people thought he looked scared

WTF does it matter what the millions of shertard losers think, if you want to know if Roy was scared then just freakin ask him and only him, cause as you so adeptly point out, all we will give you is an opinion as to why Roy went for the TD. And mine is NO, he wasn't scared of Kimbo, he was just being very sure to not run into the only weapon Kimbo had that could possibly hurt him.....

WTF does it matter what the millions of shertard losers think, if you want to know if Roy was scared then just freakin ask him and only him, cause as you so adeptly point out, all we will give you is an opinion as to why Roy went for the TD. And mine is NO, he wasn't scared of Kimbo, he was just being very sure to not run into the only weapon Kimbo had that could possibly hurt him.....

Well I don't hang out with roy nelson. Just like the people that ask if jones wins fights because of his reach probably don't hang out with shogun, Machida, vera, rampage, rashad, bonnar, chael etc to ask jones.

I don't think he was scared... and I also think you're a moronic fanboy... happy now? The way you close out your opening post leaves little to debate on where you stand on what you think of Roy and your current bout with jungle fever.

Back