was Rampage vs Abidi considered an upset at the time?

Y'all kickboxing nuthuggers make me sick! You'll do anything to protect the cherished images of kickboxers as indomitable super strikers, even if it means trashing the career of a wonderful kickboxer like Cyril Abidi. Anytime an MMA fighter gets a win over an elite kickboxer it's "oh, they got lucky", or "he was old", or "oh, he was never any good to begin with"; anything to discredit them. Bunch of butthurt losers, the lot of you!

Muay thai fans NEVER do this obviously :cool:

Muay thai fans NEVER do this obviously :cool:
I was tacitly replying to some posts that tony and nose had made a while ago chastising me for saying that Ross and Bolanos 'sucked' and how this was untrue and disrespectful etc. etc. But when nose said that Abidi 'sucked' it didn't seem like anyone was going to call him on it, so I took it upon myself.

I'm not disagreeing of course. Abidi absolutely does suck, but what does that say about kickboxing as a whole?

I was tacitly replying to some posts that tony and nose had made a while ago chastising me for saying that Ross and Bolanos 'sucked' and how this was untrue and disrespectful etc. etc. But when nose said that Abidi 'sucked' it didn't seem like anyone was going to call him on it, so I took it upon myself.

I'm not disagreeing of course. Abidi absolutely does suck, but what does that say about kickboxing as a whole?
My problem was that you all came in to complain when Muay Thai was actually getting some shine. I have no disillusions of either of those guys levels. Say they suck all you want, I don't care. You completely missed the point of my stance in that thread...

Yugi, explain to me how Kato v Shilling would have been any different in k-1.

Cryil fought stupidly, as usual, and used his face to deflect most of Rampage's shots. Was fun watching that the first time. Each subsequent time, it just gets more embarrassing.

He was a brawler that had a couple of big wins but ultimately didn't really accomplish much in the sport. I'm not sure what your point is? Upsets happen in every sport.

I'm not sure what your point is? Upsets happen in every sport.
I'm not sure I know of any fighters of Aerts' status (or Hoost's for that matter) from other combat sports who lost to a fighter of Abidi's level (or Sapp's level), while they were at their peak. It seems like this kind of stuff only happens in kickboxing.

Anderson lost to Daiju Takase and Ryo Chonan but you could say those were before his peak. Randy Couture lost to Valentine Overeem, again it was kinda early in his career. He lost to Brock which was Brock's 3rd fight I think. Gomi lost to that random russian muay thai guy. Aoki lost to Jientosu. Sakuraba lost to Nino Schembri. Those are the ones that come to mind. The matchmaking and fight schedule was different in k1 to american mma too.

Edit: Forgot Sylvia losing to Ray Mercer. I know most people say Sylvia is terrible but he was the UFC champ and he defended his title a few times.

Anderson lost to Daiju Takase and Ryo Chonan but you could say those were before his peak. Randy Couture lost to Valentine Overeem, again it was kinda early in his career. He lost to Brock which was Brock's 3rd fight I think. Gomi lost to that random russian muay thai guy. Aoki lost to Jientosu. Sakuraba lost to Nino Schembri. Those are the ones that come to mind. The matchmaking and fight schedule was different in k1 to american mma too.

Edit: Forgot Sylvia losing to Ray Mercer. I know most people say Sylvia is terrible but he was the UFC champ and he defended his title a few times.
The best example I can think of is GSP losing to Serra. But at least you can kind of write that off as a fluke, due to the way the rematch went done. In the case of Aerts, and especially Hoost, it's harder to do that because they lost twice to the same lousy fighter.

Hughes vs Hallman? Aerts and co. also had a lot more fights than Anderson, GSP, Jones, Fedor etc. It's different to the UFC where the fight is announced months before and fighters are able to do long training camps specifically designed for an opponent. I don't believe it was like that in K1 (correct me if im wrong on this, i'm not 100% sure). Many of their fights took place in tournaments too.

Abidi has wins where he was supposed to lose and losses where he was supposed to win. He was a tough and wild brawler who threw shots from weird angles and had a bad defense to. That basically explains his carreer with upsets boith in positive and negative way.

The loss vs Rampage can be considered as an upset given the fact that Ralmpage came from mma, but the guy was a freak athlete and a natural gifted fighter. Nice win for Rampage.

was greg wooton vs pakorn considered an upset at the time?

Look at the fights I posted, you'll find lots of lighter weight fights.

A few of them didn't make sense. Watanabe was a boxer who tried his hand at kickboxing and lost most of his fights. Ludwig was a kickboxer before going into mma. Same with remigijus.

abidi was on his way to becoming the K-1 GOAT but some no-namer MMA guy beat him up twice. huge upset.
What goat? He previously lost to Sefo and some Thomson by KO, also clearly to Aerts.

Back