was Rampage vs Abidi considered an upset at the time?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I recently watched it. rampage had such sloppy form for KB. A buddy of mine said abidi wasnt a good KBer anyway. Any truth to this?

Abidi had some lucky big wins but otherwise sucked and has been completely forgotten outside of MMA fans bringing up this Rampage fight from time to time.

Lets make a thread about "your favorite French killers"

first fight was an upset, 2nd one, not so much.

Abidi was never a good kickboxer. He was a tough as nails brawler. His mentality got him where he got more than his skills did help him get there. But to be honest, Almost every kickboxing enthusiastic (Including me) expected Abidi to win. so it should be considered an upset.
Hoost vs Sapp. Now that was an upset.

Abidi had some lucky big wins but otherwise sucked

people here are way too quick on the trigger of saying fighters "suck", if they're not the top of the top of their sport.

The disrespect pro competitors get here is amazing.

Y'all kickboxing nuthuggers make me sick! You'll do anything to protect the cherished images of kickboxers as indomitable super strikers, even if it means trashing the career of a wonderful kickboxer like Cyril Abidi. Anytime an MMA fighter gets a win over an elite kickboxer it's "oh, they got lucky", or "he was old", or "oh, he was never any good to begin with"; anything to discredit them. Bunch of butthurt losers, the lot of you!

Edit: And of course the other excuse that kickboxing nuthuggers love to make is "oh, that MMA guy was really a kickboxer" so apparently this isn't supposed to reflect badly on kickboxing. Just leave aside the fact that MMA guys almost never have any pro kickboxing experience, and whatever experience they do have will pale in comparison with that of a K1 great.

Last edited:
Lets make a thread about "your favorite French killers"

I'd rather make a list comparing the relative accomplishments of the best MMA fighters and the best kickboxers. Can we agree that there wouldn't more than 5 kickboxers in the top 100? Can we agree that Takeru wouldn't even be top 1000?

Abidi had some lucky big wins but otherwise sucked and has been completely forgotten

Too bad Cyril Abidi never trained at "world renowned CSA gym", then maybe he'd have apologists to go to bat for him, even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

"K1 level striking":

ADCC Black Belt Level Grappling. Jones was a White or Blue Belt
jones-belfort-514.jpg

"K1 level striking" part 2:

Ludwig was a kickboxer before mma you dummbass

Shilt is a kickboxing all time great, more kickboxer then mma fighter

Goodridge was a full blown full time kickboxer and mma fighter, he had like 30 k1 fights and that´s his only top win he lost to like 20 other top guys but in any case he was a k1 fighter

Kato Shilling is Bellator kickboxing not k1. Dumbass

Jacoby turned kickboxer full time, it´s like a mma fighter winning bjj competitions which happens.

Overeem and Gegard are from the #1 nation of kickboxing in the universe, the netherlands and have been doing kickboxing since they were little, and Overeem competed 4 times in pro kickboxing before he became a top mma fighter and he fought the majority of his career ,until a few years back, out of a kickboxing gym out of the #1 kickboxing gym worldwide golden glory which also is the follow up organization to k1 and currently world wide biggest kickboxing organization, he is a kickboxer.

Back