Was prime Teddy Atlas the best boxing commentator ever?

Typical Atlas, doing his best to belittle a great fighters' achievements. He said similar things about Manny. And how many times have we heard "he's fighting in spots", "not fighting at the right distance", etc. in his commentary? The question I have : is he more over-rated as a trainer or as a commentator? He comes across as bitter, and that's perhaps understandable--he never made it as a top trainer (Moorer? Grant?), and he got passed over in favor of Max K. for the HBO job.

And he was and is completely correct

Yep, Atlas was absolutely correct. Hopkins is taking advantage of guys like Pascal who aren't well schooled.

Yep, Atlas was absolutely correct. Hopkins is taking advantage of guys like Pascal who aren't well schooled.

That's SOP when you want to take away from a fighter's win: claim that his opponent was a bum. Not that Atlas meant to take away ANYTHING from Hopkins win with those remarks, of course :rolleyes:

When Merchant took issue with Bernard's quality of opposition, he wasnt a weasel about it, remember the "Arent you ashamed of yourself, Bernard?" post fight interview?

You dont know much, do you. Do you remember the Grant fight? What was bullshit was at the post fight interview when LeDoux at least tried to give Grant the slightest possible smidgen of positive input on which to salvage something from the night to build on and Fucking Atlas felt he had to cut him off and shoot even that little concession down. It was painful watching Grant taking crap from Teddy Atlas. The impression that Teddy left is that he only knows how to train through berating his fighters.

Which Grant fight are you talking about? Grant-Gilbert Martinez back in 2003?

Yep. There is no need for Atlas to 'undress' his fighter in front of the camera.
Atlas is one of the last people I would ever hire to build a fighter's
confidence. Any fighter who chooses to have as his main cornerman Teddy
Atlas is choosing a fool. Atlas might know boxing, but he knows squat about
motivation and confidence building.

I'd like to have seen Moorer smack him one.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm used to didactic being used as a form of criticism for certain writers who include too much information or knowledge in an attempt to illuminate the reader which ends up detracting from the reader's enjoyment. You have shown me that this word has a different root definition. Cheers.

How much can ya bench?

Ur mom.

But it's all good man.

" he walks around like those body builders at venison beach"

Which Grant fight are you talking about? Grant-Gilbert Martinez back in 2003?

Yep. There is no need for Atlas to 'undress' his fighter in front of the camera.
Atlas is one of the last people I would ever hire to build a fighter's
confidence. Any fighter who chooses to have as his main cornerman Teddy
Atlas is choosing a fool. Atlas might know boxing, but he knows squat about
motivation and confidence building.

I'd like to have seen Moorer smack him one.

1:15. Oh he mad. Moorer looks like hes straight up about to cry

Back