Was Pirog in his prime, injury free a better fighter than GGG?

he was a rare fighter that had the combination of E. European style with also a flashy American swag to it

Not suffering a career ending injury is part of the sport. Those "What if's..." are really annoying. The most popular version probably being in relation to Mike Tyson - Don King.

What happened, happened. They were going to fight and we were about to find out. But they didn't, and we didn't either.

Before Dec 2001 the previous version of Sherdog.net was an ezboard forum. Back then MMA was still happening in midwestern barns in front of drunken crowds booing when fights went to the ground.

One of the most popular forum topics at this time was « How well would have done Bruce Lee in MMA ? », and people couldn’t get enough of it.

Ha ! I can’t wait for the Pirog threads to dominate in here. Now this is a rejuvenating prospect.

Pirog was the better boxer but GGG was the superior puncher. Back at that time, GGG was wrecking fighters but Pirog's boxing skills would have made that difficult. Still, I've got to go with the more proven entity in GGG. Either via late-round KO/stoppage or decision.

he had the potential to be. his timing was just as good, footwork was impeccable, deceptive power, hard to hit clean.

Reactions: Ruv
Lol this Piroj resurgence is awesome. One of those big what ifs.

It's one of those things where you'd want to see more. He handled Jacobs in a way GGG didn't. But Jacob's just lost a family member if I recall correctly. That probably factored into his mindset in that fight. Anyway, it's a tough call. GGG has the advantage of having tested himself more so you see more. GGG maybe on his chin, gas tank, and workrate (especially his 2013-2014 peak with his body attack). Maybe.

GGG would have been Pirog’s toughest test, outside of Jacobs, Pirog’s opposition wasnt that great except maybe Jantuah, though they were ok Pirog rarely lost rounds and adjusted, the GGG of 2013 had a granite chin and the one punch KO power, hard to tell if Pirog would have made the necessary adjustments, (it was a difficult thing to do in 2013 against GGG), and I think it was going to be Pirog’s first fight at 160 so there that also.

As others here mentioned, Pirog was the better boxer and quite crafty for a Russian fighter but GGG at that time was steamrolling guys who were a step below Pirog, I think GGG would have settled for a UD after putting Pirog on his ass a couple times.

I just checked jacobs record. For some reason I thought he was diagnosed with cancer straight after losing to pirog. He fought twice after that. Still id favour GGG due to his durability and fact he has mowed down alot of boxer/punchers.

He was prolly more complete skillwise but not a better fighter than GGG was at his best

GGG would've mugged him down the stretch and possibly stopped him after the 9th. Pirog's style was fun to watch, especially on account of the novelty, but I don't think he had anything that would suggest he could handle Golovkin in the middle of his prime. IMO it would've looked like the Proksa fight.

Back