Was Nick Diaz to blame for that last Silva fight being so dull?

I liked the fight, it wasn't a classic but it wasn't bad, I think people expected too much.

Drc5YvS.gif

o7Zzkjg.gif

I also don't remember Silva being as tentative as some suggest, Anderson was trying to make a HL out of Diaz for sure but thats not easy to do.

Last edited:
I think Silva was not too interested in GSP, and definitely did not want to fight GSP near 170. GSP was not interested in Silva unless it was 170 or very close to it. Back then they were talking about Silva fighting him at 170, where Silva used to fight.

GSP was there with the rumor being he would accept a fight with Silva if he won. After Silva clowned Dana specifically said the super fight talks were off, saying Silva did not deserve it.

I remember the superfight thing being off, but I didn't remember the weight issue (specific to the 170 marker). Thanks. All kinds of possible implications at this point in time if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole on that one!

Bottles1.jpg

Anderson has never been so afraid to lose a fight. I think it would have been very different if he weren't coming off of 2 losses.

I remember the superfight thing being off, but I didn't remember the weight issue (specific to the 170 marker). Thanks. All kinds of possible implications at this point in time if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole on that one!

Bottles1.jpg
Yeah we will never know the full truth. But it's safe to say GSP did not want to fight above 170 and Silva did not want to fight GSP without the weight advantage .. and maybe neither one cared to fight the other at any weight.

For all his bravado, I thought he fought scared and didn't risk getting knocked the fuck out.

considering nick usually fights at 170 and came up to fight anderson in what people thought would be a nice gimme fight for him after the weidman loss, and considering Anderson, a big MW who has also fought and defeated big LHWs couldnt stop this natural WW not known for his wrestling, who was happy to keep the fight on the feet......it looks far, far worse on anderson. Props to Nick for taking a fight and going the distance against the g.o.a.t in match even George wouldnt take all those years.

You act like Nick is an easy guy to finish especially when he's backing up the whole time.

Yeah we will never know the full truth. But it's safe to say GSP did not want to fight above 170 and Silva did not want to fight GSP without the weight advantage .. and maybe neither one cared to fight the other at any weight.

False. Anderson offered to meet GSP half way.

Honestly i think for the first time anderson got mind fucked by nick, like rogan pointed out nick was respectful all the way leading up into the fight and then as soon as it starts he lays down, backs into the cage, called him bitch, and turned his back against him lol. Showed no fear of silva and idk if silva knew how to handle that. Even when silva landed a clinch and punched nick people would usually try to break free but nicks crazy ass started throwing right hands over and over and over to break it lol.
You cant mind fuck someone if you lose the match. Anderson was extremely low on confidence and Nick fucked himself by playing a fool. He lost the fight and did what he always does, cried about it

That was sort of the vibe I got - stalemate. Each guy seemed pretty content being weight division GOATS. I'm under the impression that besides NHB'rs and Crumlin McPikey, champs (especially dominant ones) generally don't like superfights until they aren't gonna be champs anymore.

You cant mind fuck someone if you lose the match. Anderson was extremely low on confidence and Nick fucked himself by playing a fool. He lost the fight and did what he always does, cried about it

***It's part of the act. That's why he "always does it"; it's in the script.

That was sort of the vibe I got - stalemate. Each guy seemed pretty content being weight division GOATS. I'm under the impression that besides NHB'rs and Crumlin McPikey, champs (especially dominant ones) generally don't like superfights until they aren't gonna be champs anymore.
I think it depends on other factors too. For instance GSP was already as big as he could get and still fight effectively. If he fought at MW he would have been the exact same size as he was at WW ... which was already smaller than almost every other WW.

Silva did fight at WW, but did seem to have gotten bigger, and was eventually popped for steroids, it's possible he got too big to drop down again.

A lot of top LW fighters, like Benson, could have fought at WW and been the same size as GSP. I think GSP could have fought at LW too. Those would make sense.

I am really not for super fights where one guy has a huge size advantage, it tells us nothing. I think it was hard to pick a weight where GSP and Silva would be similar in size, and both were happy to fight at that weight. I think that was a huge sticking point, they just had massive size differences.

False. Anderson offered to meet GSP half way.
No he didn't. They both talked about it. Neither really wanted that option either. Even if they met at halfway Silva would have dwarfed GSP ... who would not have put on a single pound. He would have been 185 in camp like always as he can't put on any more weight and fight, he tried it, it failed, he fought worse, he went back to 185.

Silva would have had 20+ pounds on him. Anything other than 170 made no sense. If you are not similar weight, wtf cares?

As its a sport I don't think anyone was "to blame".

No one has an obligation to fight a tactically dumb fight and get knocked out.

It wasn't Kalib Starnes out there.

It's just a fact of MMA that sometimes not everything can coalesce to produce an exciting fight.

No he didn't. They both talked about it. Neither really wanted that option either.

"At the end of the day, GSP is the greatest welterweight of all time," Soares said. "People argue back and forth who the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in the world is. Some people say it's Anderson, some people say it's Georges St-Pierre. So I think the way to settle it is to do a catch weight at 177 1/2, right down the middle, and see what happens.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lva-georges-st-pierre-ufc-superfight/1653497/

I think it depends on other factors too. For instance GSP was already as big as he could get and still fight effectively. If he fought at MW he would have been the exact same size as he was at WW ... which was already smaller than almost every other WW.

Silva did fight at WW, but did seem to have gotten bigger, and was eventually popped for steroids, it's possible he got too big to drop down again.

A lot of top LW fighters, like Benson, could have fought at WW and been the same size as GSP. I think GSP could have fought at LW too. Those would make sense.

I am really not for super fights where one guy has a huge size advantage, it tells us nothing. I think it was hard to pick a weight where GSP and Silva would be similar in size, and both were happy to fight at that weight. I think that was a huge sticking point, they just had massive size differences.

No qualms here; I felt it was also part of the stalemate. A real sticking point for GSP, and not taking anything away from him because I agreed w/ his view as easily as I'd watch a superfight. Superfights make more sense career wise when the golden (MMA) years approach a fighter AND he's got some losses. With this in mind it'll be interesting to see what GSP's modus operandi will be if he returns.

You make a good point. GSP could have just shown up like MW BJ, out of camp Hendricks, Welter-Middle catchweight version of Roy Nelson (picture a really fat Clay Guida on stilts), Prime Scott Ferrozzo, etc.

Georges could have put the extra weight on at La Banquise.

The claim was made that Silva would only fight GSP at 185 with a weight advantage.

That claim was false.

Diaz didn't want to engage, which is fine. Why play to Anderson's strengths? But still, he talks about Condit's gameplan and unwillingness to engage. He did the same thing.

Back