Was Moroz/Taylor the worst fight of the year?

Anderson v Maia

still to this day.

Anderson vs Maia wasn't that bad. The first couple rounds Anderson was dominating, then somewhere in the 3rd Anderson starts playing around a lot, the last two rounds Maia started attacking and was pretty aggressive.

Anderson vs. Leites was FAR more boring than Anderson vs Maia, Leites was falling to his back every 20 seconds and Anderson's most significant strikes were punches to Leites' thighs.

Yeah it was the worst IMO, followed by McMann/Eye and Kimbo/Dada.

Even on a lackluster card, this fight stood out as one of the most boring, uneventful, frustrating match ups I've seen in a long time.

Moroz had a massive reach advantage, and some apparent ground skills, but seemed more than content to stand on the outside and land the jab and the one-two, without appearing to be trying to do any real damage. Taylor had a more difficult task, and I'm more sympathetic to her plight in this one, but she didn't cut the cage off, didn't do enough to get inside, and didn't go for broke when it was obvious that the fight was lost otherwise. There was little to no grappling that I can remember, no unpredictability in the slightest.

Neither fighter seemed to have any sense of urgency. It looked like a heavily attended light sparring session. I'm sure someone can think of a few more fights that were close to being as bad, but I'm thinking that Moroz/Taylor was the worst fight of the year to date.

I'm going to tell you, Taylor is an exciting monster of a fighter.

She had 10 days to take and get ready for her first UFC fight. Give her another chance and watch. She was sent in there to lose via submission and lost via spilt.

Moroz was engaging. Don't act like this isn't Taylor's fault. She's small and moves like Mighty Mouse in a way. If anything, Taylor should be cut for her lack of performance.

his fight with leites seems worse to me.

Ya I had someone else say the exact same thing. Maybe I should rewatch it - my brain might be fucking with me a bit.

Ya I had someone else say the exact same thing. Maybe I should rewatch it - my brain might be fucking with me a bit.

Maia actually got so frustrated he tried to take it to silva. The leites fight was just a snooze fest with him trying to beg silva to enter his guard and silva just standing there looking at him. They were both to blame for such an awful fight.

I'm going to tell you, Taylor is an exciting monster of a fighter.

She had 10 days to take and get ready for her first UFC fight. Give her another chance and watch. She was sent in there to lose via submission and lost via spilt.
I watched some of her previous fights. She has talent.

Carvalho vs. Manhoef was basically the same exact fight, but it went 5 rounds, and then ended in a complete bullshit decision. I'd say that one was worse.

But yes, Moroz vs. Taylor sucked. Bad.

That was bad, and easily the worst decision I've seen in some time. I was pulling hard for Melvin, and I think he should have won. But at least that fight had some aggression, some risk taking, and some dynamic action.

It wasn't bad at all.

It was strategic and technical. Taylor can't just dive into that reach like an idiot.

She was just too inactive and needed to engage more. By no means was it a bad fight if you look at it from the perspective of the fighter and her opposition. I guess from a spoiled fans POV it wasn't an idiotic brawl like they want. Fans boo everything expect wild brawling so i wouldn't take much from the crowds awful booing.

This wasn't Cruz/Dillashaw. Asking for purposeful fighting isn't the same as wanting everything to be Frye/Takayama or Griffin/Bonnar. I enjoy a good technical exchange, but there was nothing technical about landing 6% of one's significant strikes, or never getting inside to impose your game.

I can understand round one with Taylor avoiding Moroz's punching range, but when you get to round three, and you're clearly losing badly on the cards, you need to make something happen. Cutting angles, shooting for the legs, clinching up in an exchange, slipping a jab, there's many ways to attempt to negate a reach disadvantage. There's plenty of potentially effective options, but they all entail some serious risk. I just hate seeing a fighter go down without exhausting their options first.

Maia actually got so frustrated he tried to take it to silva. The leites fight was just a snooze fest with him trying to beg silva to enter his guard and silva just standing there looking at him. They were both to blame for such an awful fight.

I just remember being so pissed after Anderson v Maia. I stand corrected then - will rewatch.

Back