Was Michael Chandler right about Justin Gaethje?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Peli Black Belt

As @Ackmed pointed out, Firas zahabi pointed out Justin's disregard for BJJ wasn't because he didn't think it was useful, but rather because he was uncomfortable being on the ground.

Well, a few years ago, chandler said the real reason gaethje likes to go to wars is because he's uncomfortable winning in another ways. He feels like that's the only way he can win and Chandler mentions he's speaking from experience(before eventually getting over that)

2. BonesWinckleJones Yellow Card Yellow Card

You consider his last fights as wars?

phillysmoker likes this.
  3. Peli Black Belt

No, I think the fight with tony was the exception to the rule. I think the fights prior he didn't really come in with the same level of fear he had when he was just getting into wars.

His last fight with khabib he was very uncomfortable

4. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Not E for Everyone.

I mean yeah he battered Tony, and got 3 First Round KO's but before that the majority of his Carree yeah Justin's been in wars. From WSOF, all the way until the Dustin loss.

Those Miles didn't disappear because he started fighting smart.

5. Peli Black Belt

I think beating tony that way gave him confidence. He said he didn't even know that was possible, thought he had good two rounds to try to win against tony. That's why I said its the exception to the rule. Where as khabib didn't allow him to bang, smother him and he really had no answers. Khabib did beat him, but I wonder if that loss makes him go back to what he knows. Because that has landed him the most success.

6. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Not E for Everyone.

I think he goes back to his approach that brought him to the Championship fight. If Khabib is eyeing the GSP Fight and will TRULY retire at 30 - 0 than Justin only has to consider that he doesn't have a ground game and work on his Jiu Jitsu.

Trevor Wittman is a smart guy, and I think if Justin does have doubts Trevor will Exercise them. Nobody in the Top 10 besides Oliveira can do what Khabib did on the ground so there's no real need to doubt what he was doing before. Tony's good on the ground but doesn't shoot for offensive takedowns and it's not likely he sees Gaethje again.

Just like how Conor is chomping to get back in it, he knows nobody in the Top 5 is gonna shoot in on Conor with that level of grappling and have success.

7. Kb7 Yellow Card Yellow Card

Justin ground game has never been proven to work or even showed throughout his career. People who claimed his ground game is dangerous against Khabib are either delusional or flat out haters. We had no data non whatsoever to gauge Justin’s ground game.

8. Peli Black Belt

Maybe. I think a loss like that fucks with a fighter's head. Gaethje who's literally said he doesn't care if he loses or wins after losing goes back to regular life. Now he's laying low all of a sudden. I don't know if it did. I don't know if he's just going through family stuff(he's rich now, so I'm guessing he's going to do some major life changes for him and his family)

9. Arkham's Notorious Geyser Sherdog's Shane Walsh. Not E for Everyone.

It didn't affect Dustin outside of him being EXTREMELY emotional after the loss but he talked about how that loss motivated him going into the Hooker fight. Everyone's different but I don't see how Gaethje would be beating himself up over losing to an Undefeated and dominant force.

It's not like he got beat by some Bum. I also wouldn't look much into him being quiet on Social Media, he was never really known for his Tweets other than occasional one about Fighter's he doesn't like. For Gaethje he doesn't need Twitter to get hype, nor does he strike me as someone that wants to fill you in on his weekly activities.

10. kingghidrah Green Belt

He was right at the time, but Justin changed a lot after his 2 losses.

He totally rejected the idea of winning only through brawling. Did you not watch his fights since his 2 losses? The Tony fight, where his coach reminded him to focus on the gameplan?

He's a totally different fighter now. A loss to Khabib doesn't suggest anything.

I have no idea what you think Chandler's comments have to do with his use/non-use of BJJ because that's a totally different issue.

11. Zelig Blue Belt

Idk but I have a hot take. Israel Adesanya doesn't takedown his opponents bc he's uncomfortable grappling.

Also, who is Michael Chandler?