Was Max Holloway only good because he fought smaller fighters?

No. I think Holloway just met a Dustin Poirier that is clearly on the ascendancy in terms of his abilities.
Not sure what Poirier is doing but he looked stellar. Powerful, crisp muay thai, etc.

he looked nothing less than in the Gaethje fight, i still cannot see the surprise... as i cannot understand how he was the underdog coming in this fight.

What a world of difference 10 lbs sometimes makes. I don’t think Max looked terrible, but I agree he didn’t have that snap on his punches. He did the same thing he does to 145ers. And that 10lbs might have made the difference. I like Max a lot. His fighting style is obviously fun to watch but eventually you gotta start feeling bad for guys like that. They just eat way to many fucking shots to the dome, just to get there own offence going.
Yep ,10lb does make the difference so one cannot allow himself to eat that many punches due to increase in power.
He fought as 145lb-er in 155lb class, if that makes sense.

Yep ,10lb does make the difference so one cannot allow himself to eat that many punches due to increase in power.
He fought as 145lb-er in 155lb class, if that makes sense.
Yep makes perfect sense to me my dude !

Holloway was a good 15 pounds lighter than Dustin. At lightweight Holloway needs to fill out a little more.

'
He lost a shit ton of his legacy last night. Looked pretty bad. Dustin countered him and did so much damage..

Not really. He won two round and arguably three round after how badly the first round went for him the way he fought in general was impressive. I feel he was definitely lot more capable of mixing up techniques than he showed that night didn't switch stances and barely did any low kicks.

Even so more than once he had Dustin shelled up not able to fire if he didn't go for that flying knee to the head in the third we could be talking about how awesome Holloway was to come back into the fight and get a TKO. Dustin is peaking really good right now and no many guys at Lightweight are beating Max even when he isn't committing to the weightclass.

Last edited:
I think the damage he took in the first round affected Max for the rest of the fight. Dustin’s boxing was simply better than Holloway’s and Max has nothing else in him to win.

Nah, I just think Dustin Porier is peaking the fuck out and hitting his prime right now, and his prime is better than a lot of people foresaw. Also, Max is fighting at lightweight, with intentions of going back to defend at featherweight, if he committed to a full time jump and to stay there at 155, he might make adjustments to bulk up a little bit more than just staying the same, but cutting less weight.

Some real D-bag posts in this thread, amongst a few logical ones.

Despite how crisp Dustin looked and the power advantage, Max almost stopped Poirier and Dustin had to chain wrestle his way out of two rounds.

Last edited:
I am still stunned that Ortega lost to Holloway the way he did.

I was always afraid of Max Holloway moving up in weight class. I'm a HUGE Max Holloway fan but it's a fact that he needs a lot of volume even in FW to beat some of the smaller guys, so how much volume output would he need to fight a legit 155er in Dustin?

He has 1 loss in his last 10 fights

I know and I love Dustin. I like both these guys. But Dustin had a bad TKO loss to Conor and a very bad KO loss to Johnson. Johnson is a terribly mediocre fighter. Max from a talent standpoint. He was supposed to win this fight..

I know and I love Dustin. I like both these guys. But Dustin had a bad TKO loss to Conor and a very bad KO loss to Johnson. Johnson is a terribly mediocre fighter. Max from a talent standpoint. He was supposed to win this fight..
losing to a former champ and a guy that beat Ferguson and Edson aren’t bad losses

losing to a former champ and a guy that beat Ferguson and Edson aren’t bad losses

Losing to Johnson is a very bad loss. He had lost 2 fights in a row at the time. Currently has a record of 19-14.. But credit to Dustin for coming all the way back. He is a stud.. Max still was supposed to be the more talented and better man..

No Max lost to the better man that night is all. Best Poirier I've seen to date. Really measured in there even when throwing a flurry.

Honestly.. define bad loss.. johnson is one of the fastest lightweights to grace this earth and conor is an asshole and an atg when he shows up..

Styles makes fights and not everyone can be khabib..

Respect to both guys! The 145 champ versus a contender at 155 should play out this way.. anything else is an anomaly.. respect to both guys and a great fight!

Think he was just distracted by poiriers wife's titties

Holy shit, you guys really turned on max fast.

10 losses in the UFC in 21 fights...

And then devide it through ferguson, barboza, tibau and castillo.. he's been through the meat grinder..

I'm not saying he's a great lw.. i'm saying he's a dangerous lw.. his record is accurate but it's not a reason to shit on him..

He did well, he just got rocked several times, further evidence of the efficacy of pressure, he had Poirier dog tired by the end.

Back