Was Matt Brown really the "underdog"?

Solving Fever

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Just re-watched last nights main event and noticed that Brown came out 2nd and also wore the red gloves?
I always thought the favourite was the one to come out 2nd and ware the red gloves.
Was this because the odds changed come fight time or just because he was in his home town?

No he was never the underdog. The line was just skewed by idiots

You'll probably see the same thing with Rhonda vs Cyborg even tho anyone with a brain knows that Cyborg would crush her

Matt Brown was the higher ranked according to the UFC, Silva was the Vegas favourite. They are not always the same thing.

Just re-watched last nights main event and noticed that Brown came out 2nd and also wore the red gloves?
I always thought the favourite was the one to come out 2nd and ware the red gloves.
Was this because the odds changed come fight time or just because he was in his home town?

Going into the fight, Brown was ranked higher (7th) than Silva (14th) according to the UFC.
But, the Vegas betting line had Silva as the favorite.
UFC puts the higher ranked fighter in the Red corner no matter who is the odds on favorite according to Vegas.

This event had some stupid lines.

as soon as the fight was announced, i thought brown was gonna win

you see the UFC tells people Silva is a high level guy despite never beating anyone who is considered high level

and because he's Brazilian MMA fans will believe it

i dont know what they were thinking, but im happy that i made some good money with those odds

No. That's why I bet a lot of money on him. Some people are just still hyped on Silva even though he has been trading wins for loses. Brown had a good streak coming in and fought better competition than Silva.

It was a tough fight to call because both fighters' strengths play in to the weaknesses of the other. Silva has trouble with guys pressuring him and Brown has had trouble with his submission defense in the past. It was a fairly even match-up on paper.

Who comes out first or second has nothing to do with who is favored in the bout. I'm not sure why Silva was favored in Vegas but I was? I put 3 different bets on Brown, and for those who wonder? He almost lost. He was in trouble after the few body punches. Anyway the odds actually changed to favor Silva even more as the fight drew closer. Which is why I had multiple bets for a Brown win.

No he was never the underdog. The line was just skewed by idiots

You'll probably see the same thing with Rhonda vs Cyborg even tho anyone with a brain knows that Cyborg would crush her

Funny, that's exactly what Joe Rogan and Brenden Schaub were saying last night during the live podcast. They were watching the event live while doing a podcast, and everyone was saying the odds were pretty funny considering who Matt had beat vs who Silva had beat. I personally thought the fight was going to go exactly the way it did. If you feel like checking my post history you'll see I mentioned how Brown would have to get through a short difficult period at the start of the fight, grind through it, and end up demolishing Silva more and more as the fight went on. Lo and behold, exactly how it happened...

It's going to take a guy with superior cardio, and an intelligent game plan to take out Matt Brown at this stage in his career. There are guys ranked above him that have the ability to take him out... but I won't be counting Matt Brown out in any fight. You tools who think he's just beating nobody's are fools. Erick Silva, Swick, Mein, Thompson, Pyle... these are some REALLY tough dudes. In the most stacked division in the UFC, these fringe top 10 guys are still absolute killers... people are acting like he's never fought a serious threat.

7 fights in a row? Who else has 7 wins in a row in any division of the UFC? My god these could be all complete nobody's and that alone would still be pretty impressive.

I would agree if it the fight happened at 145, but at 135...cyborg would have to kill her body just to get down there.

Who comes out first or second has nothing to do with who is favored in the bout. I'm not sure why Silva was favored in Vegas but I was? I put 3 different bets on Brown, and for those who wonder? He almost lost. He was in trouble after the few body punches. Anyway the odds actually changed to favor Silva even more as the fight drew closer. Which is why I had multiple bets for a Brown win.

That's because Erick Silva is an excellent fighter. Just because he lost the way he did, doesn't mean he wouldn't lop most guys heads off into the first row. He's lost to upper tier fighters only... he is still a very dangerous guy who gets altogether too little credit for what he brings. He's a power hitter... when he hits somebody they are going to feel it... he's just not the most intelligent fighter(in the cage). Brown, IMO, was the worst possible match up for a guy like Silva... just too tough to quit and is a pressure fighter who forces his pace.

you see the UFC tells people Silva is a high level guy despite never beating anyone who is considered high level

and because he's Brazilian MMA fans will believe it

The UFC rankings actually said the opposite. They have nothing to do with the betting lines.

Erick Silva is wayyyyyyyy overrated... especially on sherdog..
To this point who has he beat ? He came short against each quality opponent he faced in the UFC this far
I thought Brown would beat him

Brown being the underdog just goes to show how many clueless buffoons have swallowed the Silva hype. He made me a bit of vcash, let's see how long before I'm reset to 500 again.

Back