Was Luger the worst wrestler to get consistent push?

saugeye killah

No need rope hold up pants.
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't get it. I can't find much evidence that he was ever REALLY over as either a face or heel, but they guy remained a middle-upper carder his whole career basically.

What gives?

He's a weird case, I don't get that he was ever truly loved or hated, but he did carry himself as a star. I think Sid was a similar guy, great look, mediocre performer, always hovered near the top of the card but was never the main attraction, even when he was in the main event.

97 was probably his most over year, but yeah he was pretty bad

I don't think Luger was a bad wrestler. I can think of dozens of guys less over than him that got huge pushes.

While I don't think any are bad wrestlers Swagger, Seamus or Del Rio(US only) might be the best examples of what you're looking for though.

I cant remember any good Luger matches

But he had the look and a decent promo which is apparently all you need.

The Torture Rack and Bionic Forearm were sick finishes though. Especially when WWF built up the forearm that had a steel plate in it, lol gold

And dat pop after beating Hogan in 97 is one of WCW's greatest moments ever.

I don't think Luger was a bad wrestler. I can think of dozens of guys less over than him that got huge pushes.

While I don't think any are bad wrestlers Swagger, Seamus or Del Rio(US only) might be the best examples of what you're looking for though.

Yeah but this is a different day and age.

For Luger to get that push over guys like Razor, Bret Hart, and Mr Perfect sucks. It was too early for Razor but Bret definitely shouldve been the guy in 1993, not Luger.

Yeah but this is a different day and age.

For Luger to get that push over guys like Razor, Bret Hart, and Mr Perfect sucks. It was too early for Razor but Bret definitely shouldve been the guy in 1993, not Luger.
I mean I don't disagree with this but being less popular than bret hart doesn't put you in this category for me.

It's like the Jannety of the tag team moniker sticking when there have been so many worse than him since.

The Torture Rack and Bionic Forearm were sick finishes though. Especially when WWF built up the forearm that had a steel plate in it, lol gold

I think the torture rack was part of the problem. It was cool to see him rag doll jobbers with it, but it never really looked right against bigger guys and it wasn't any good for a finisher in big matches because of how weak it made the opponent look. If he had ditched it when he transferred to wwf and done a big slam finisher, or even just set up the forearm better, he might have been able to get the crowd behind a title run.

Luger was over huge in the late 80's in Crockett and I'm guessing youre only talking about WWE since the territories are full of guys worse than Luger that were pushed
Go read up on George Gulas lol

I'd say 86-88 was when he was something due to his potential. After that? All downhill.

He's still better even today than those flip flop clods some of you guys think are great "workers."

Way better than people realize

That's a good point. It speaks to his potential at least. I guess I can understand where some promoters would have been in love with his possibilities.

I had honestly forgot about that Hogan vs Luger match, that was a pretty awesome pop for sure.

Last edited:
Worst wrestler...I DON'T KNOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Greatest seller of all time...yes.

He survived solely off his look and his body.

He had no charisma, no mic skills, and was a boring worker.

Same goes for Sid. Who was an even worse in ring worker.

I fucking loved Sid when I was a kid. Giant strong crazy dude? Right up my alley in those days lol

As per 'Ol Uncle Corny, Lex never really cared much for the business outside of the business side of it and was a pretty sharp guy. He knew that most of his appeal was his look so he took care of that. And he knew that, if he did what the office wanted (which was to take care of his look,) they would take care of him.

Last edited:
He survived solely off his look and his body.

He had no charisma, no mic skills, and was a boring worker.

Same goes for Sid. Who was an even worse in ring worker.

Sid's character/promo was enough for me to be a fan. All he needed was one move

Maybe in the WWF but he was ridiculously over in 97 WCW.

Back