Was Khabib 'Just Another Loss' For McGregor at UFC 229?

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

I had this discussion with Jason from MMA on Point (a very good YouTube channel about MMA), and would love to hear how people are feeling about this.

Many people have pointed out that the McGregor after the Diaz loss and the McGregor after the Khabib loss are two very different people. After the Diaz fight, he was subdued and seemed pretty devastated by the whole situation. Since the Khabib fight he's looked in great spirits.

Do you read anything from this in terms of where he's at from a competitive stand-point? He has had three massive paydays since that loss, as well as the launch of his whiskey. That could certainly change a man. Remember that famous Marvin Hagler quote?

Or do you feel this is more of a public front while he's on this promotional run with his whiskey?

He's promoting his bull shit whiskey.. he probably doesn't care as much
Is normal

I think he's realized he has holes in his game that he can never adequately address to make himself an all-time great as a fighter alone. So now he has transitioned fully into salesman/showman mode and the Khabib loss does not bother him one bit.

Big fan of both, but it’s not just another loss, the fight determined who was the top dog.

He's made his money and overall is a winner in life in every way possible. Why does it matter aside from ego losing to Khabib? I cant stand the guy but I cant deny he is a winner in life while here I am sitting in a cube 8-5 every day like a slave and barely live pay check to pay check

You win or you learn

Unless you fight Khabib, then you just lose

Diaz 1: destroyed
Diaz 2: narrow win
Alvarez: big win
Mayweather: destroyed
Khabib: destroyed

Tens of millions of people have watched him get paid a ton of money to get his ass absolutely kicked in 3 of his last 5 fights.

Getting wrecked for money is nothing new at this point, just business as usual.

I'm not knocking the guy, this is just objectively true. He has experience getting paid a lot of money to get beaten.

I think some people enjoy seeing Conor lose, probably more than others enjoy seeing him win.

So he will continue to be a draw.

I was cheering for the dude against khabib, but part of my soul smiled when he tapped as well.

I think some people enjoy seeing Conor lose, probably more than others enjoy seeing him win.

So he will continue to be a draw.

I was cheering for the dude against khabib, but part of my soul smiled when he tapped as well.

Same exact reason someone like Ric Flair was such a huge star. The guy almost never wins and he even joked when was the last time he actually submitted someone with the figure 4? But people loved to pay to watch him lose.

Crow is an unflavorful dish that no one gets used to.

McGregor is eating another share now.

A pile of cash helps, but it's like ketchup on a shit sandwich.

He didn't get destroyed in the Diaz fight. He was winning and busting Nate up before he got caught. Not to mention the jump in weight class.

He was carried in the Mayweather fight.

Khabib is the only one who put a systematic beat down on him. Made him tired in round 1. Mauled him round 2. Stood right in the pocket with him round 3. Tapped him in round 4.

conors alright. you can call him a quitter but he clearly enjoys getting in there & fighting. he likes doing the pressers. i think he enjoys the whole process. i think he'll have many more fights win or lose

The answer is yes as far as he, his fans and casuals are concerned. Losses will eventually catch up with him, but not yet.

Crow is an unflavorful dish that no one gets used to.

McGregor is eating another share now.

A pile of cash helps, but it's like ketchup on a shit sandwich.
upload_2018-10-19_9-50-10.jpeg

It can still look eloquent.....
Poor Conor fanboys.....

Well when a girl has a "broken heart" after a failed relationship they usually go out with the girls, post a lot of pictures of how happy she is in order to show the opposite. Real man acts humble, accept he's hurt, continue with life and gradually recover.

Last edited:
He didn't get destroyed in the Diaz fight. He was winning and busting Nate up before he got caught. Not to mention the jump in weight class.

He was carried in the Mayweather fight.

Khabib is the only one who put a systematic beat down on him. Made him tired in round 1. Mauled him round 2. Stood right in the pocket with him round 3. Tapped him in round 4.
How is panic wrestling then giving up your back so your opponent will choke you out getting caught?

He's made his money and overall is a winner in life in every way possible. Why does it matter aside from ego losing to Khabib? I cant stand the guy but I cant deny he is a winner in life while here I am sitting in a cube 8-5 every day like a slave and barely live pay check to pay check

Well not in every way possible....he gets easily beat up.

Back