Was Jon Jones a big draw? He averaged 525 000 buys.

Booker T was WWE champion by the way, so you are off!
Rock is also part African-American & Mark Henry was champion as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Heavyweight_Champions_(WWE)

But thats not the real belt. I mentioned Booker T having that belt in my original post. When they bought the WCW, the WCW belt became the "World Heavyweight Champion" belt a belt that both Booker T and Mark Henry have held. The WWE Heavyweight champion has never been a black wrestler (aside from partiall The Rock). The belt that Henry and Booker T won doesn't even exist anymore and was only kept for about 10 years before that did away with it as it didnt have anywhere near the same prestige it would be like todays US champion.

"His first run in WWE lasted six years and during that time he won the WCW Title again (for the 5th) plus the World Heavyweight Title in 2006. In addition to that, he went on to win nearly every championship he could win except for the WWE Title."

Interesting. I don't see any interest for might mouse vs cejudo outside of here. Jones legal trouble story line will get casuals back in. Like it or not his suspension was one of the widest mainstream covered "Mma news stories" of last year. ESPN loves to rehash athlete troubles. I'd also bet they will do another interview session. I think you might be underestimating how far stuff like that goes for casual fans

Anyhow we respectfully disagree on what the numbers will look like so let's see what sort of buys that fight gets

I'm with you that MM fights means zero to the fight card interest.

Anyhow we respectfully disagree on what the numbers will look like so let's see what sort of buys that fight gets

I hope you are right. Jones vs DC 1 was the most hyped i've ever been for a fight and I just remember being shocked that the sales didnt match my level of excitement. Going into the rematch I think the average fan doesn't think DC has much of a chance in comparison to the first time around.

But thats not the real belt. I mentioned Booker T having that belt in my original post. When they bought the WCW, the WCW belt became the "World Heavyweight Champion" belt a belt that both Booker T and Mark Henry have held. The WWE Heavyweight champion has never been a black wrestler (aside from partiall The Rock). The belt that Henry and Booker T won doesn't even exist anymore and was only kept for about 10 years before that did away with it as it didnt have anywhere near the same prestige it would be like todays US champion.

"His first run in WWE lasted six years and during that time he won the WCW Title again (for the 5th) plus the World Heavyweight Title in 2006. In addition to that, he went on to win nearly every championship he could win except for the WWE Title."

The belt that HHH was awarded is not the WCW title. The WCW title ended when Jericho unified.
As far as prestige, there were large periods of time that the title holder was the champ on RAW - WWE's flagship show.

Interesting. I don't see any interest for might mouse vs cejudo outside of here.

Oh I agree there isn't any hype for it currently BUT I think they need to find a way to get a bit of hype behind it if they want to leave the 800k range and make it into the million.

Oh I agree there isn't any hype for it currently BUT I think they need to find a way to get a bit of hype behind it if they want to leave the 800k range and make it into the million.

I don't see anybody that wouldn't already get JJ/DC buying it for the co-main though.

I hope you are right. Jones vs DC 1 was the most hyped i've ever been for a fight and I just remember being shocked that the sales didnt match my level of excitement. Going into the rematch I think the average fan doesn't think DC has much of a chance in comparison to the first time around.

By the "average fan" I think you mean the average sherdog hardcore fan. I agree that most people here believe it's already over and jones wins. I think that's why people aren't hyped here. ESPN will say stuff like "legal troubles forced JJ out of the cage for a year" "is he any good anymore" "close decision" etc.

I was super hyped about the first one as well. One thing I feel fighters should maybe complain about, it doesn't seem like anyone's promotion budget matches what the UFC spend on Connor v Aldo

By the "average fan" I think you mean the average sherdog hardcore fan. I agree that most people here believe it's already over and jones wins. I think that's why people aren't hyped here. ESPN will say stuff like "legal troubles forced JJ out of the cage for a year" "is he any good anymore" "close decision" etc.

I was super hyped about the first one as well. One thing I feel fighters should maybe complain about, it doesn't seem like anyone's promotion budget matches what the UFC spend on Connor v Aldo

They can't do that on every fight though.
That was a smart investment on Conor IMO.

Yes. Moron. 525000 is a very big draw. Silva vs Diaz did 650 k to put it in perspective. Above 500 is excellent numbers and a bunch of losers with nothing to do but ooh and aah over the BIGGEST numbers by the recent stars need to eat a giant dick.

Of course it is. Demographics always matter.

I can't speak for the rest of the world but there is data that does suggest there is a correlation between the demographics of MMA/Boxing and race in the U.S.
5yxabs.jpg

4lhthh.jpg

This study was done on Americans in 2013 but in general, Boxing has been dominated mostly by Blacks/Hispanics for the last couple decades. The demographics of the sport reflects that, not a lot of white American boxing fans but many black/hispanic Boxing fans. In MMA, you have a lot of diversity amongst the top fighters including many white American fighters, and surprise surprise, the demographics of the sport reflects that as well. Most of MMA's fanbase in the U.S. is white americans. There are also a lot of other interesting statistics from the age of fans, sex, income, even how educated they are.

I hope they do another study like this in a couple years, would be interesting to see how things have changed. No doubt in my mind there would be much more female MMA fans than Boxing because of Ronda. We try to pretend race is not a factor but it is, it always has been and it always will. But realizing and admitting that race is a factor is not to say we are all a bunch of racists. Sure, some of it is racism, but overall, it has more to do with the fact that at our core, humans are tribal. Our subconscious is constantly bombarded with cues that identify who is “us” and “them." If an "Insert race" guy is about to watch a fight, but he knows nothing about the two fighters involved other than he sees one is of the same race and the other is not, he is more likely to root for the guy who has something in common with him. That is the casual fanbase in a nutshell.
I don't see "White" in your chart so I did the math. 1.3 million white boxing fans. 4.4 million UFC fans and who gives a shit about WWF.

According to this chart it does makes sense why Mayweather and Pacquio seemed to only fight Mexicans. What doesn't make sense though is the majority of WWF fans are black.

Yes. Moron. 525000 is a very big draw. Silva vs Diaz did 650 k to put it in perspective. Above 500 is excellent numbers and a bunch of losers with nothing to do but ooh and aah over the BIGGEST numbers by the recent stars need to eat a giant dick.

You sound a bit over-dramatic, but 525k would have been the second biggest number of 2014 ;)

They can't do that on every fight though.
That was a smart investment on Conor IMO.

Certainly they can't do it every fight but for me, if I'm jones or rouseys camp id be on the phone right after that fight like "when will y'all promote one of my fights to that level and include live band walk out music"

Certainly they can't do it every fight but for me, if I'm jones or rouseys camp id be on the phone right after that fight like "when will y'all promote one of my fights to that level and include live band walk out music"

Rousey got the world tour treatment as well and Dana said the live music was too big of a hassle to try again.

Rousey got the world tour treatment as well and Dana said the live music was too big of a hassle to try again.

To date, the marketing budget for Aldo Mcgregor was bigger than any UFC fight by a good margin.

Think about the lack of marketing for Ronda v Bethe, Ronda v Zingano and vs McmAnn

To date, the marketing budget for Aldo Mcgregor was bigger than any UFC fight by a good margin.

Think about the lack of marketing for Ronda v Bethe, Ronda v Zingano and vs McmAnn

RR vs Bethe had the world press tour.
RR vs Holly had a huge budget behind it as well due to the Stadium and how newsworthy it was.

I think you might be the only person on SD that thinks RR was slighted in the promotion department lol.

Also, the Conor/Aldo was less about the fight and more about making Conor mainstream ... it worked!

He was better than average for sure but it depended on the opponent. Against DC and Rashad, he did great. Against Gus and Glover, not so much. Meawhile, GSP did well no matter who he fought.

It always amazed me how well GSP did because you knew you were going to get a 50-45 decision and people still bought it. Very Mayweather-esque. Meanwhile guys like Jones, Aldo, Cain, etc. were all going to have really fun fights and didn't draw in the same ballpark.

How are you basing the Conor ppv drawing ln his own ? Both his main events had Great comains and we're great events overall, one was a grudge match and one was supposed to be a grudge match but turned out to be a high level replacement at the last two weeks. of course he was a huge reason for high sales but we haven't seen him draw on ppv by himself without a banging ass card.

Conor's a big draw. There isn't any debating this. Zuffa would not be paying Conor the money that they do and spending the time on promoting him if he wasn't. They have access to every metric that tells them he's a massive money maker for them. They aren't stupid and Conor isn't either which is why his negotiating power is massive.

The reason why Zuffa makes these mega cards is more of an insurance policy for injuries. The last thing Zuffa needs is to have a UFC 196 type situation where Conor pulls out and there is basically no card to support it like we had with Cain and Werdum. Think about the nightmare if Zuffa attempted to have Hendricks vs. Thompson headline a $10 million Vegas gate if there was a Conor injury.

Back