Was Jon Jones a big draw? He averaged 525 000 buys.

Interesting that the fastest growing sport in the world(LOL) ppv numbers are the same, meanwhile world population has grown with about a some hundreds of millions every year... Ppv number allwaya 200 k- 1.1 mil?

Jones is a good PPV draw and has a great chance now at being a great one.
Rampage IMO, could have been huge (if he didn't start losing).

Interesting that the fastest growing sport in the world(LOL) ppv numbers are the same, meanwhile world population has grown with about a some hundreds of millions every year... Ppv number allwaya 200 k- 1.1 mil?

That's torrenting/Pirating for ya.

white population, the demographics who buy PPV, is not exactly growing.

lol just stop.

One of the fighters you're talking about is significantly less marketable, likeable, and a criminal.

Brock had WWE fans crossing over, GSP had all of Canada supporting him, and Conor has all of Ireland supporting him.

The only thing you've said that holds some merit is that Ronda is a dominant female fighter, so she has a lot of mainstream attention because feminism is cool right now.

Rashad & Rampage did 1 million buys.
Funny how that gets ignored when people insinuate anything about UFC fans being racist.
Again, if Rampage did not start losing, he would have been up their with the biggest UFC draws.

No one ever thought Jones was a big draw. He's not a superstar compared to Ronda and Conor. UFC dropped the ball with Jones, considering how great of a fighter he is.

Jones' own faults didn't help either. He's still a pretty good draw, i'd consider Jones the top of the heap when it comes to draws when Conor/Ronda aren't there.

No one ever thought Jones was a big draw. He's not a superstar compared to Ronda and Conor. UFC dropped the ball with Jones, considering how great of a fighter he is.

Jones' own faults didn't help either. He's still a pretty good draw, i'd consider Jones the top of the heap when it comes to draws when Conor/Ronda aren't there.

I don't see how Zuffa dropped the ball with Jones.
They got him on mainstream TV shows (tonight show, etc.) & magazines.
He just wasn't likable enough to make casuals care.
No after all his negative publicity, I think he will be a bigger draw - embrace being the cocky heel with incredible talent and he can be a superstar

The guy is a self-centered, criminal. What does that have to do with race.
I am a huge fan of Jones, but he has no charisma, and the stuff he does outside the octagon all works against him.
Calling it a racial thing is silly, like Floyd, he is a criminal who happens to be black.

For the poster above, boxing has been dominated by Russians for the past couple of decades. And white people didn't get behind them like they did for many black or latin fighters.

Of course, it is easy to play the race card.

Conclusion: Jones isn't a big draw, he needs grudge matches to be a good draw unlike GSP, Ronda and Conor. Agree/disagree?

Tbh he don't need grudge matches, he need to be white

Jones is arrogant, cheats on his wife, uses drugs, flaunts the law... he is fake and makes excuses for himself, while pretending to be this Christian man.
He has no charm.
He doesn't think the rules apply to him.
I think he is great, but I understand his unpopularity.

Look who they stack on mcgregor cards and look at who they put on jones cards.

UFC 182:

Jon Jones (c) def. Daniel Cormier
Donald Cerrone def. Myles Jury Brad
Tavares
def. Nate Marquardt
Kyoji Horiguchi def. Louis Gaudinot
Hector Lombard vs. Josh Burkman

ufc 194:

Conor McGregor (ic) def. José Aldo
Luke Rockhold def. Chris Weidman
Yoel Romero def. Ronaldo Souza
Demian Maia def. Gunnar Nelson
Max Holloway def. Jeremy Stephens

Dana hates jon jones lol

Even on his next card conor gets a title fight co main event again.

UFC 182 Cormier 800k
UFC 172 Teixeira 350k
UFC 165 Gustafsson 310k
UFC 159 Sonnen 530k
UFC 152 Belfort 450k
UFC 145 Evans 700k
UFC 140 Machida 480k
UFC 135 Rampage 520K
UFC 128 Shogun 490k

Jon Jones had ppv momentum up til UFC 151. The UFC threw him under the bus for pulling out. Simultaneously fans were getting to dislike him more as he revealed his personality. Sonnen's talk help to sell UFC 159, but the backlash from the UFC and fans made fights against relative unknowns in Gustafsson and Texeira hard sells. People were buying to see Jones lose and they weren't considered threats. Cormier was a threat, plus the long buildup brought the best numbers of Jones career. I expect Jones to come back as a bigger draw. People like redemption stories, ppv sales have heated up. Jones has dropped the choir boy facade, now he is like a Bryant Gumbel version of Floyd Mayweather.

I don't think so, he has a very conservative fighting style and much like Mighty Mouse; fans probably aren't all that bothered about tuning into a fight they can predict the mundane outcome of.

Of course, it is easy to play the race card.
I'm not black (i'm italian) and still i can see it for what it is

I'm not calling out society or whatever

Simply the specific money-paying part of UFC audience (example i watch fights but never paid a cent) show a clear tendence of prefer successful white athletes

It's not hard to see

According to that chart on page 1 and the 2010 US census.
UFC has a higher minority fanbase % wise than the US census
34% to 31%

Last edited:
UFC 182 Cormier 800k
UFC 172 Teixeira 350k
UFC 165 Gustafsson 310k
UFC 159 Sonnen 530k
UFC 152 Belfort 450k
UFC 145 Evans 700k
UFC 140 Machida 480k
UFC 135 Rampage 520K
UFC 128 Shogun 490k

LOL @ the Sonnen debacle getting more viewers than legit killers like Shogun, Rampage, Gus, Vitor, Machida, and Glover.

Shows what kind of sheep buy ppv's.

Back