Was Jon Jones a big draw? He averaged 525 000 buys.

Jones being a draw or not isn't my businnes.
he's a great fighter (more great if he quit to poke people in the eyeballs) and the rest is executives' businnes.

True but you can't argue with 1.2M, that's an insane number regardless of the context.
There is always an argument against Brock's 1.6 million in UFC 100. So a smaller number than that will also have its fare share of arguments.

his fans like to spin it that way, but still, 500k is good, but big draw, no

his comeback from prison will do big numbers, though

When did Jon go to prison?

Not the biggest, but big compared to anyone but the biggest stars. How many active fighters can draw more than him aside from Conor and Ronda?

I think he is one of the biggest draws for people who want to see actual FIGHTING.

What we all agree on is that Jones is a better fighter than all of the names you mentioned.
That is still the most important thing right? Not who cuts the best promos or sells the most ppvs. It's still about who is better at fighting, right?

Jones has big fights and has/had enough appeal for a Nike sponsorship.

But his name alone isn't enough to guarantee buys.

Of course it is. Demographics always matter.

I can't speak for the rest of the world but there is data that does suggest there is a correlation between the demographics of MMA/Boxing and race in the U.S.
5yxabs.jpg

4lhthh.jpg

This study was done on Americans in 2013 but in general, Boxing has been dominated mostly by Blacks/Hispanics for the last couple decades. The demographics of the sport reflects that, not a lot of white American boxing fans but many black/hispanic Boxing fans. In MMA, you have a lot of diversity amongst the top fighters including many white American fighters, and surprise surprise, the demographics of the sport reflects that as well. Most of MMA's fanbase in the U.S. is white americans. There are also a lot of other interesting statistics from the age of fans, sex, income, even how educated they are.

I hope they do another study like this in a couple years, would be interesting to see how things have changed. No doubt in my mind there would be much more female MMA fans than Boxing because of Ronda. We try to pretend race is not a factor but it is, it always has been and it always will. But realizing and admitting that race is a factor is not to say we are all a bunch of racists. Sure, some of it is racism, but overall, it has more to do with the fact that at our core, humans are tribal. Our subconscious is constantly bombarded with cues that identify who is “us” and “them." If an "Insert race" guy is about to watch a fight, but he knows nothing about the two fighters involved other than he sees one is of the same race and the other is not, he is more likely to root for the guy who has something in common with him. That is the casual fanbase in a nutshell.
Bonus ZUFFA in regards to Demos that make money. Their audience skews waaaay more white and also younger, but not too young. And they have have all that growth in the Hispanic markets left to achieve, we're boxing is somewhat maxed out there.

This was also 3 years ago. It would be interesting to see what has happened since Rousey and Connor hit the market. Rousey would have made a big impact on the female market. Whenever I went out to see her fight at the local Millers Ale House there were groups of women out together to see her fight. Not just out with there boyfriends...

I could careless about draw power. I just want to see the most talented compete against each other and it dont have to be UFC either.

Those numbers are sad. If you want to talk about big draws, R3, GSP, Brock, Weidman and Conor are big draws.

It's hard to be accepted as a big draw when your boss comes out and publicly slanders you labeling you as a 'sport killer' and 'event murderer' and tries to assassinate your character.

His complexion doesn't make the same connection that GSP, Brock and Conor have working for them.
Ronda has that soccer mom fanbase working for her and similar complexion advantage also.

lol just stop.

One of the fighters you're talking about is significantly less marketable, likeable, and a criminal.

Brock had WWE fans crossing over, GSP had all of Canada supporting him, and Conor has all of Ireland supporting him.

The only thing you've said that holds some merit is that Ronda is a dominant female fighter, so she has a lot of mainstream attention because feminism is cool right now.

His complexion doesn't make the same connection that GSP, Brock and Conor have working for them.
Ronda has that soccer mom fanbase working for her and similar complexion advantage also.
Careful, I made a thread about this the other day just for discussion purposes, and the forum racists wanted to crucify me for it.

His biggest push was through what was considered some pretty lean years in PPV sales...not sure if had anything to do with fighters, or just the economy at the time.

The UFC still wasnt putting a tenth the effort into "over promoting" fighters at the time either. That facet of the UFC promo game only started when they realized just how easy it was to market Rousey to casual fans. Once that worked they ran with it.

Hopefully they start supporting their more established fighters with the same kind of push as they do the flashy or trashy ones.

Back