Was it a first fight where Cruz fought dumb?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by scrubadiver, Dec 31, 2016.

1. scrubadiver

scrubadiver Feel it

Cody was just standing in the middle, waiting for like 90% of the fight. While Cruz was trying to force in way too much.

Shit i'v been on Dom's wagon since WEC days and I never saw him fight as stupid as he did that night. Must be them neck tats magicks.

Very puzzling performance to be honest, was he gotten to or something? Good for Garbrandt though, he was fast and didn't overplay his hand.

orwamdaka likes this.
  2. RudimarChute

RudimarChute Black Belt

He thought he could point box all night, he didn't utilize his skill set at all. The Dillashaw we saw vs. Lineker would dismantle Cody.

scrubadiver likes this.
  3. NILLI

NILLI Brown Belt

Almost every time Cruz got hit he tried to initiate a slug fest. Where he just ate more unnecessary punches. This started to happen more in the third round. He didn't move like he used to.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    scrubadiver and Thepaintbucket like this.
  4. Bendo MMA Hero

Bendo MMA Hero Green Belt

He didn't fight dumb he just got his ass kicked.

5. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

he didnt fight dumb at all. He faced someone who was better than him.

6. ralphus1

ralphus1 Extremely stable genius

I'm not going to say Dom fought dumb, he just realized that Cody controlled the distance and made Dom pay any time he tried to get inside. I was shocked that Dom was not able to get any takedowns, considering guys Faber and TJ were off balance and couldn't stop it.

7. mungos

mungos Purple Belt

What makes you think Garbrandt would have fought the same way vs TJ?

Fight Professor likes this.
  8. CJohnny

CJohnny Black Belt

He was pissed. People said that he was winning the talk shit and all of that, but come on the fight and he looked pissed in there. Fought like he was the one who had power in his hands, and was trying to finish the fight with those slow combinations.

Fact is, Conor haters can say someone is better than shit talk than him and all of that. No one gives a shit. But it's a fact, that only haters don't get - Conor has the best mind games ever. He talks shit, has crazy build up to the fight, much more than Dominick last fight, but don't get caught by the moment like Dominick and others has been. On the fight, Conor looks like nothing did happen, while his opponents are nervous as fuck.

I'm not trying to make this about Conor, but since you said Dominick fought wrong, it's good to compare. And that's why I think Dominick fought like that.

I also think Dominick didn't want to make the fight boring, and was surprised that his opponent was the one trying to counter. So Dominick said, fuck it, I will pressure him and that's it, he got wrecked by the fighter with much better power and speed, and that made all the difference.

orwamdaka and scrubadiver like this.
  9. 20falarVerdades

20falarVerdades Silver Belt

Not really, Cruz is a counter puncher and he usually has the size and reach advantage, so smaller fighters have to chase him. I thought Cruz's best gameplan would be to stay on the outside and shoot for takedowns, he did do that but Cody has very good takedown defense and overall wrestling

scrubadiver likes this.
  10. cooljay1622

cooljay1622 Gold Belt

Ah yea forgot about that. Cruz is usually able to use his wrestling to make the other guy think and it opens up his striking as well. Cody was able to shut that down easily.

11. RudimarChute

RudimarChute Black Belt

I never said he would, but it's irrelevent because he can't stop those takedowns either way.

12. scrubadiver

scrubadiver Feel it

Yeah I know how Cruz usually fights, but he pretty much abandoned it in the first minute. He was flat-footed in a second round for fucks sake (before even getting hit by any of the bombs), what the fuck is this shit? Cruz and flatfooted don't belong in one sentence.

13. helltoupee

helltoupee Black Belt

Cruz was slow as fuck last night - he looked really off to me, like he instantly got old, or had an injury or something.

Everytime there was an exchange, Cody was patient and beat him to the punch, not to mention that Cody's defense looked really good as well.

Personally, I was really impressed with Cody, but something about Cruz seemed wrong. Maybe it was the fact Cody made him look that way - like what Roy Jones said 'they say I fight nobodies, I just make 'em look like nobodies'.

scrubadiver likes this.
  14. mungos

mungos Purple Belt

He'll be ready for LnP.

15. scrubadiver

scrubadiver Feel it

True that, I felt like something was off in the first minute of the fight, before they even exchanged properly.

Cruz himself said that he was 100%, no excuses and all that. But from the outside it looked weird as hell.

helltoupee likes this.
  16. RiskiestCookie

RiskiestCookie Orange Belt

When you throw stupid looping punches against someone who isn't a midget and can box, you gonna have a bad night.

Ikuza and Fight Professor like this.
  17. RudimarChute

RudimarChute Black Belt

Cody has good boxing and lots of power, that's about it. He out boxed Cruz, not that unexpected really.

18. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

yea, even his corner was mentioning how dom was getting owned on the distance control by cody

19. scrubadiver

scrubadiver Feel it

Well if he realized that, why the hell he tried to bumrush (by Dom's standards obviously) his way in since the 2nd round.

It even got more ridiculous when Cody started to point towards the center and Cruz followed, every single time. If that isn't dumb idk what is.

20. HHJ

HHJ Fedor Supremacist

you gotta admire cruz tho
    anytime he got knocked down he was like OH NO YOU DIDNT,and rage got back to his feet in the tradition of evander the commander,and juan maunel