Was Dana White Right To Criticize Herb Dean on Jones vs. Cormier?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Blackjack, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

In the post fight press conference Dana White said Herb Dean did an awful job refereeing in the fifth round by letting them just stall against the cage for 5 minutes. This is one of the times when I agree with Dana White. They weren't being active enough and Dean should have broken them up and re-started the fight in the middle of The Octagon.

I don't know who is to blame for inventing "wall 'n stall" but that thing that Jones likes to do where he pressed Cormier up against the fence and then they just hugged each other for five minutes is boring as hell!

Did Cormier stay there because he was legitimately trapped against the cage or was he being just as lazy as Jones? I didn't see too much of an attempt on Cormier's part to break free and get back to the middle of the Octagon or if not the middle at least closer to the middle so that there could actually be the possibility of some interesting things happening like shooting in for a double leg takedown or at least trying to suplex Jones. In 25 minutes Cormier didn't even attempt one suplex did he? Why does Cormier spend so much of the time trying to be a boxer when his specialty is wrestling? He's a former Olympic wrestler and he spent most of the time trying to box instead of going for a takedown, a throw, or a slam and then applying...an actual wrestling hold! Is that too much to ask? To expect a former Olympic wrestler to use some technical wrestling holds and maneuvers as at least part of his strategy?

2. FIMN

FIMN Brown Belt

Watched that fight twice, didn't notice it. People will complain either way. Jon was beating DC in the standup so wouldn't have made a massive difference. Masterful performance from JJ.

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Black Belt

You didn't notice that thing Jones does when Cormier has his back to the cage so close that it's pressed against the cage and Jones stands in front of Cormier and then leans downward at an odd looking angle and the two of them just literally hug each other while not just seconds but minutes go by? Most of my memory of that fight unfortunately is seeing Joneses back bent forward at a strange angle and seeing that weird skirt that he wears over his trunks. WTF?

Did you notice at the press conference after the 25 minute fight that neither Cormier nor Jones had a scratch on him? Amazing.

4. DGT4NOW

DGT4NOW Red Belt Platinum Member

I didn't feel anything went on there that we haven't seen in other fights

5. BVG

BVG Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I definitely think there should have a been a few separations for sure.

6. PanikAnikPanik

PanikAnikPanik Purple Belt

Round 5 there should have been a separation IMO, at least once, if not twice. I was fine with the criticism. I didn't even here him give the "work" warning.

7. ChangeIsComing

ChangeIsComing Brown Belt

There was a lot of stalling, herb is known for not seperating wall n stalls and LNP's. The 4th and 5th rounds Herb definitely allowed the fighters to stall in the clinch way too much.

It would not have made a difference in the outcome though, after the 3rd DC was done.

8. leatherneck

leatherneck if not 4 disappointments, id have no appointments

all points here are spot on.

9. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Agreed that DC was done. It was a close fight through three active rounds, with Jones edging Cormier 2-1. Then it was a close fight through three inactive shroud, with Jones winning both (especially the fifth) mainly by position.

It is not to help either fighter that the ref restarts the fight. It is to help the fans.

10. 5crew

5crew Black Belt

And yet he insist on doing Hendrick Vs Lawler 3 after the first 50mins?

More like Bahboobooho.

11. Thanos

Thanos Courting Death

Dana did an awful job with Cocaine Gate

12. Lovetap

Lovetap Brown Belt

I used to think like you but increasingly I just see it as part of the sport. Also a problem with ref breakups is that it often ends up arbitrary with no real consistency.

Basically a fighter should be able to handle these situations and impose their will on the other fighter. This also mirrors real life street fights. There is no ref to break things up.

13. JsinLegacy

JsinLegacy Brown Belt

The comments were warranted. Jones did a lot of just holding against the cage for about a round and half. They should have been separated a couple of times honestly

14. Phronimos

Phronimos The truth don't have to be validated by ignorance.

Calling Jones 'lazy' is a bit nuts...

As for Daniel not using his wrestling to your satisfaction, is called strategy. However, I'm sure he would have if he felt he would have been successful with it.

Dean probably should have separated the fighters a few times, but it is easy to criticise. I don't think Jones was resting on his laurels and stalling out a victory, he was just dog tired, in my opinion.

15. ChangeIsComing

ChangeIsComing Brown Belt

There also is no cage in a street fight, making it easier to get out of situations like that. I as well see it as part of the sport, the most frustrating aspect.

16. Phronimos

Phronimos The truth don't have to be validated by ignorance.

I don't understand Jones's skirt either. I think DC should be responsible for getting Jones off of him, though, not the ref's. Jones is tiring the guy out, that is a good tactic.

17. crlkllr

crlkllr Black Belt

18. Post Crisis

Post Crisis Professional Shit-poster

Yeah, it was abit much.

19. Shammon

Shammon Brown Belt

What if both fighters just stood in front of each other and did nothing? Are you going to tell them to work and then put them against each other on the cage?

"Wall and stall" actually serves a purpose. It puts weight on the guy on the bottom which makes him gas faster and it gives the dude on top a chance to breathe. These are tactics that should be at a fighter's disposal. The onus is on the guy on bottom TO GET OUT. If he can't manage to, then he lost the round via control. I hate it when a guy puts a body triangle on a dude and just hugs him from guard to get a standup.

20. Zeroinnes

Zeroinnes White Belt

The fight didn't live up to the hype at all so Dana needs to find someone to shit on.