Was Dan Henderson a draw?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
When the MW division was at it's peak with beasts like Rockhold, Weidman, Romero, Mousasi, Whittaker and Jacare in the top 10, Hendo skipped em all and got the titleshot vs Bisping. Was it to get Bisping an "easy" titledefense or was it because Hendo was popular?

I'm curious too, bc when I first got into mma in like 2014 he was one of the first names I memorized bc of how much I heard about him, and one if the first whos appearance I'd recognize

I think his numbers at Strikeforce are the best we have to go on and based on those I would say he was a reasonable draw, yes.

I think his numbers at Strikeforce are the best we have to go on and based on those I would say he was a reasonable draw, yes.
I'll look up the numbers. Makes sense though as he became a free agent at the perfect time. Getting that viral KO on Bisping at a marquee event like UFC 100. Hendo knew his worth after that. Not sure what happened exactly but he left the UFC immediately after UFC 100

When the MW division was at it's peak with beasts like Rockhold, Weidman, Romero, Mousasi, Whittaker and Jacare in the top 10, Hendo skipped em all and got the titleshot vs Bisping. Was it to get Bisping an "easy" titledefense or was it because Hendo was popular?

It's they had history so they had a good narrative to sell.

Bisping wanted that fight back so he got it. I wouldn’t want to lose to Mousasi either I don’t blame him.

He really wasn't when he was Decision Dan back in the day. Hendo was a part of that initial crew who took advantage of the trt early on. Took all that experience and turned the clock back 15 years and raped a few fools along the way.

It wasn't about Hendo being popular on his own, UFC knew Bisping vs Hendo 2 would sell decent numbers.

Are you fucking high right now? Because even if you are, that's no excuse.

I'm going to assume you're young or haven't been around MMA long. Hendo was a goddamn beast and there isn't a guy who fought him that didn't respect his abilities. In his prime, Hendo would have destroyed Rockhold, Weidman, Whitaker, and Jacare. He DID destroy Mousasi(one of my favorites) in about 1 minute.

Your post was really disrespectful of a Hall of Famer. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but damn dude you gotta do your research.

Bisping tried his best to avoid losing the belt and picked a 46 year old Dan H and retired Welterweight GSP when there were absolute beasts at the top of the division. Still one of the biggest joke reigns in UFC history

Are you fucking high right now? Because even if you are, that's no excuse.

I'm going to assume you're young or haven't been around MMA long. Hendo was a goddamn beast and there isn't a guy who fought him that didn't respect his abilities. In his prime, Hendo would have destroyed Rockhold, Weidman, Whitaker, and Jacare. He DID destroy Mousasi(one of my favorites) in about 1 minute.

Your post was really disrespectful of a Hall of Famer. Not sure if it was intentional or not, but damn dude you gotta do your research.
You sound emotional. What's so disrespectful about my post? It's not like im factually wrong. All those guys were in the top 10 and Hendo did skipped them. Im simply discussing the reason for it.

Meanwhile you're just reminiscing and don't come with facts at all. "Hendo would destroy them in his prime" well that's just like your opinion dude. Fact is he wasn't in his prime when he got his titleshot. He was old and had no top wins in years.

He was always popular with hardcores but not as much with casuals. Coming off a good run in Pride as double champ, hardcores were psyched to see him in back to back title fights with Rampage and then Anderson. The Rampage fight was competitive and at the time I thought he was the man to dethrone Anderson early in his UFC run. But he was already old AF at that point and made his UFC debut at 37.

His Bisping KO and the two Shogun fights are what casuals may have seen and know him for.

Reactions: G10
tenor (12).gifhe is

Hendo H bomb bless

From his team, Team Quest, Randy was the draw. Sonnen later. From LHW div of then Wand, Sakuraba, Tito, Chuck and Rampage (later) were the draws. Hendo spent most of his run overseas. Bisping was more known in the UFC. Answer is they gave Bisping a chance for redemption against a 46-year-old Hendo.

Back