Was Cruz really ever that good??

He schooled dilly WTF do u think!

he was and is one of the greats but posts to that effect are definitely going to be popping up from now on, for sure.

with the exception of gsp, everyone loses at the end of their career - should not nullify the accomplishments that came before.
One minute, you're on top of the world. One loss later, and you're "out of your prime", "overrated", "never that good" for a few posters on here, anyway.

One minute, you're on top of the world. One loss later, and you're "out of your prime", "overrated", "never that good" for a few posters on here, anyway.
or the other way - one big win and you're invincible. like the geniuses throwing around phrases like 'precision striking' when describing alvarez after he KOed RDA.

Absolutely. One of the clear greats.

Haven't watched his post-fight comments but in the first round I thought he looked too aggressive with his combination and his movements looked a bit stunted. Though, he won the first round, my intuition told me this wasn't going to be a good fight as a Cruz fan. Therefore, I broke up way more weed than initially planned and broke out the wax. Same deal with the Weidman/Rockhold fight in the first (even before him sitting in the guillotine) and fucking Edgar/Aldo 2.
I had him winning the first and second, with the fifth being close. Even still, Cody gave him the business in 3 and especially 4, and he deserved the win.

Hopefully, Cruz can make the adjustments and get back on the winning track.

or the other way - one big win and you're invincible. like the geniuses throwing around phrases like 'precision striking' when describing alvarez after he KOed RDA.
Yeah, it was an exciting win, but Alvarez was always going to get crushed by McGregor, no two-wats about that. I think anyone that said otherwise, was just trying to big him up for when McGregor beats him.

I had him winning the first and second, with the fifth being close. Even still, Cody gave him the business in 3 and especially 4, and he deserved the win.

Hopefully, Cruz can make the adjustments and get back on the winning track.

Yeah I saw the fight the same. I think Cruz can get this win back, for sure. I think it's pretty clear what was going wrong. He was attempting too many combinations throughout the fight. Cruz could have won the fight with his jab and footwork. He seemed to side with less than expected footwork and way more in-combinations than i've ever seen from him.

I think the hardest thing to take from this was Cruz was acting out. I hated seeing that. Instead of noticing the pocket presence and better speed in combinations from Cody and adjusting, Cruz seemed to want to showcase something he didn't really have or that wasn't at all presenting itself. Tough fight to watch, regardless of how close it was. It didn't have to be. No shade meant towards Cody, great fan of his.

Yeah I saw the fight the same. I think Cruz can get this win back, for sure. I think it's pretty clear what was going wrong. He was attempting too many combinations throughout the fight. Cruz could have won the fight with his jab and footwork. He seemed to side with less than expected footwork and way more in-combinations than i've ever seen from him.

I think the hardest thing to take from this was Cruz was acting out. I hated seeing that. Instead of noticing the pocket presence and better speed in combinations from Cody and adjusting, Cruz seemed to want to showcase something he didn't really have or that wasn't at all presenting itself. Tough fight to watch, regardless of how close it was. It didn't have to be. No shade meant towards Cody, great fan of his.
This wasn't one of Cruz' smartest performances, for sure. He tried to bang with a hard banger, and while landed some nice shots on Cody, he kept getting clipped with big shots in the pocket.

He was clearly trying to prove a point, rather than fighting smart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back