Was Conor's second belt 'lucky'?

stipeszn

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
- and RDA's and Eddie Alvarez's, Not in the sense that they won their title fights luckily, but in the sense that Khabib's stretch of injuries and inactivity throughout his early UFC career prevented him from reaching the title sooner. In a different universe, he never gets those injuries, and firmly places himself as champion before Mcgregor even gets the opportunity to go up and challenge.

also we wouldn't have to listen to bj fans pretend he's lw goat bc he has one more title defense, as if beating sherk, florian, and diego sanchez is more impressive than conor and dustin

No, he fought the champ and outclassed him as bad as a champ has ever been outclassed

He was fortunate to be handed the title shot by the Goof but Khabib's issues were on him.

And don't disrespect Baby Jay playboy.

Was it luck he won? No
He was lucky to get a title shot though

The way you put it, yes he was. If Khabib hadn't of had those issues, he would have been champ long before Conor got a crack at the title and he would have defended it successfully against McGregor much earlier than he did

He fought a far superior wrestler who decided to strike with him, then proceeded to beat the hell out of him. Poor tactics by your opponent is not luck, but a chance to capitalize.

Lucky? Looked alot like an absolute ass beating to me resulting in him KOing the then 155 pound champion.

Was Conor’s second belt lucky?.......no......Eddie thought he could Stand with Conor which was a big mistake. By the time he decided to employ his wrestling, Conor saw he’s shots from a mile away. He played Conor’s game and Conor won.

He fought a far superior wrestler who decided to strike with him, then proceeded to beat the hell out of him. Poor tactics by your opponent is not luck, but a chance to capitalize.
The Undergroung King is a legend but Conor was in the zone in that fight. It was his best performance by far IMO. Yep Cormier you are wrong Conor vs. Holloway was not his best performance. He clearly has less in the bag , than Anderson silva in terms of variety of strikes. But that was his peak fight. Since then he hasn't been an active MMA fighter. We won't see another performance from Conor that well executed for a belt ever again IMO. (More impressive to me than his win against Aldo; Still epic but he won early. In the Eddie fight we saw one fighter in the zone calmly destroying his opponent)

Eddie had nothing for him. Eddie is a legend but when he took the belt off of RDA. I thought that was a great moment but I never thought he would be able to hold onto it for long. I see that fight as Conor at the peak of his powers. Still not trying to undermine Eddie but he was a great stylistic matchup for a still young, hungry, driven Conor. If he takes another fight for Instance against Gaethje. I would have Gaethje winning.

He should have cherrypicked Cerrone when he was still on his streak and had name value if he wanted to get a high ranked win at LW with less risk. Still Conor vs Holloway/Aldo/Diaz(Now Masvidal if he wins the against Diaz) will always be there for him and all those fights would sell but at LW.... I don't see Khabib losing to Conor. Ferguson and Gaethje both win unless Conor can just revert back to his prior form and then still he would need to get an early finish. Poirier rematch he might be able to get the W. who knows? Problem is if he loses to Dustin in a glorified kickboxing fight with 4 ounce gloves he may finally actually see a real dip in his cult following.
<Fedor23>

Last edited:
It wasn’t lucky. He beat a damn good fighter and looked good doing so. It was strategic though. Eddie shouldn’t have fought RDA for the belt in the first place.

Lucky? Looked alot like an absolute ass beating to me resulting in him KOing the then 155 pound champion.

Eddie’s foot was broken so that fight doesn’t count. Eddie would 100% win the rematch.

YES , he was lucky that Alvarez was the current champ

but at the same time he beat the shit out of the current champ Alvarez

He won the fight for the championship fair and square in dominant fashion, but he was lucky to get the opportunity. He was not deserving of a LW title fight at the time, IMO. He hadn't defended the FW belt and went 1-1 with Nate Diaz, a longtime LW gatekeeper. Other champs in the past had to be much more dominant before any talk of moving up to challenge for a belt was entertained.

wasn't lucky he won, he was lucky he fought eddie alvarez...

Back