Was Cerrone vs RDA 2 a bad stoppage?

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
It was Cerrone's body that was hurt and he had somewhat recovered before RDA took him down. RDA landed a couple shots to Cerrone's glove and looked to Herb Dean to stop it and he did. Consideding how long Herb let Rockhold tee off on Weidman this seemed like a horrible stoppage.

I just rewatched it the other day and Herb didn't even give Cerrone a warning. He stood up immediatley, wasn't even remotley hurt and looked like he was trying to stand up when Herb decided to stop it.

It's a very unfortunate position to be in. His body was hurt, but he was recovering. He was blocking everything RDA threw, on the ground...however, he couldn't improve his position. To do so, would've given RDA a ton of opportunities. As long as RDA was still swinging, there wasn't anything Cerrone could do without getting clocked. I didn't like the stoppage, but i'm a Cerrone fan.

As I recall, and I haven't watched it since it happened, Cerrone wasn't fighting back and was just covering up. Plus he definitely looked like he was done and made no protest. Herb undoubtedly could have let it go on, but I didn't have a problem with it.

Don't compare stoppages though. Every fight and fighter is different. If the ref (the closest person besides the opponent) thinks they're done, they need to call it before someone gets seriously hurt.

It is arguable that the Weidman stoppage was very late, but Herb felt he could continue.

Cerrone was done and just waiting for the ref to stop it

Unfortunately, Herb's reputation for being inconsistent hurts him when he makes a good call. That was a good stoppage IMO, but I am not entirely convinced herb isn't doing crooked shit from time to time, so idk.

I definitely wouldn't have minded seeing it continue, but it's one of those ones where you can't really blame the ref too much either.

Faber-Barao II was a way worse version of a similar-ish stoppage imo

Cerrone had 30 inches of intestines removed, and half of a spleen. There is major concern for it rupturing, so they will always call it for him. He really shouldn't be fighting, but I'm glad he does.
donald-cerrone-30.jpg

Cowboy wasn't complaining and neither was I

It wasn't bad. Cowboy wasn't moving and Rda was throwing the whole time. If you are just blocking And not trying to improve position the ref is justified for stopping it

I'm sure his liver thinks it was a good stoppage

Good stoppage. Cerrone has said since he was done and got hit hard.

Cerrone had 30 inches of intestines removed, and half of a spleen. There is major concern for it rupturing, so they will always call it for him. He really shouldn't be fighting, but I'm glad he does.
donald-cerrone-30.jpg

what has his guts to do with his head?

I thought it could have gone another few seconds, but didn’t think it was terrible. He wasn’t on the brink of getting knocked out, but it was highly unlikely he was getting out of there either. TBH, I wish more fighters would act like that when a fight is stopped. He could have certainly made the argument that he was still fighting, but he knew he was fucked and didn’t pretend he was about to “make his move”.

What's his head got to do with this particular fight?

I didn't watch it, but I guess that RDA was throwing strikes at this head to finish him. So it has nothing with his belly where he had the surgery.

Back