Was BJ Penn taking on GSP the most ambitious step up in competition ever?

Ice Cold Igor fighting Mark Kerr.

The Smashing Machine was the most feared man on the planet. 300 lbs, undefeated at 10-0.

Igor was 5ft8 kickboxer, 230 lbs soaking wet.

In a time where grappling was thought to be far superior to striking

And he beat that ass.

So you and I agree Georges lost the 1st round. You didn't contradict anything I said in my post. You argue that at the time the fight took place BJ had better boxing. Baby Jay clearly lost that fight anyway. Soon as Georges didn't wilt and started to impose his game plan the cuckold folded.

I take issue with the idea that he was “imposing his will” like he had it all under the control.

Prior to the fight there wasn’t one MMA expert who said George didn’t have the advantage on the feet against Penn who had shown good boxing but hadn’t really encountered a diverse attack.

Likewise the consensus was Penn would have had the advantage on the ground whether on top or on the bottom.

This was early in the era of well rounded fighters, fighting on top wasn’t seen as the advantage that it is now.

I give George props for recognising his strength and weaknesses and coming up with a great game plan by the time of the second fight as opposed to Penn who was more arrogant.

No doubt he was severely rattled in the first fight and went to the ground with some trepidation. He also would have probably lost via Pride scoring.

Same could be said for Silva if you want to play that game. Avoided Jones like the plague when he had already fought at 205, now spends the remainder of his career calling out someone 6 inches shorter who weighs 168lbs.

And Anderoid thinks a fair catch-weight for that fight is 180 lbs....da fuck lol? Clearly the roids have addled Andy's brain, Conor clearly can't get even get that heavy

Which other mma fighter makes it to round ten?

And before you answer, explain why Floyd would want to carry him? Isn't it a better look for a GOAT candidate to make an absolute fool out him and KO him in the first couple of rounds? Wouldn't you want to smash the "outsider" from another sport?

If you think Conor made it to round 10 on his own merits, you're kidding yourself.

Floyd gave the punters a show in case he ever wants to make another easy hundred million.

No. Jesus, he had already fought him .Dont get me wrong- especially 2nd fight- , it was a step up but op title is just ridiculous. There have been "open weight" fights in our sports history, FFS. In fact Penn fought a chunky and young 205 machida many moons ago.

Ya it was a pretty bold and ambitious move, but BJ ruined it by quitting on the stool after all that “to the death talk”.
<GSPWoah>

But Conor taking on Tyron Woodley would be laughable. People would actually have been laughing.
Conor's performances were so fucking impressive back then that a lot of people, including me, really did want to see that fight. He looked superhuman in the octagon for a good stretch of time before he got knocked down a few pegs.

Same could be said for Silva if you want to play that game. Avoided Jones like the plague when he had already fought at 205, now spends the remainder of his career calling out someone 6 inches shorter who weighs 168lbs.

Silva at least moved up to 205 many times to fight. GSP ducked for years and years until the "right opportunity " came up lol

Are you accusing him of doing steroids without having any proof ? When people cant handle the facts they resort to illusional made-up narratives and thars the last resort of somehow degrading GSP greatness by his haters . Too bad his legacy is already cemented as the greatest to ever do it.

Costa hasn't popped either. So they're both obviously clean bro!!!

That's actually the standard.

Until someone pops, calling them dirty is just slander.

It isn't a mystery why so many people calling clean fighters dirty are fans of guys who have tested positive.

I didnt mention Costa once in this thread lol Stop doing mental gymnastics in order to "downplay" GSP greatness .
GSP was one of the first advocates for stricter drug-testing and has raised his vocie against PED use in MMA for years , not to mention him voluntarily joining the VADA program out of his own pocket.
GSP is the greatest and none of your false hate-filled narratives can change that , get over it boy.

Lol at the basement dwellers crying about GSP in this thread. He’s the GOAT, get over it. Don’t worry Andy will always have his double digit losses & failed PED tests as testament he could accomplish things Georges couldn’t.
If this is an outlet for your depression then I can understand that.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Haha no..

Back