Was BJ Penn taking on GSP the most ambitious step up in competition ever?

I can’t say I can think of anyone taking on a greater challenge than the greatest WW of all time, twice. He did it before to Hughes.

I don’t even like BJ Penn that much.

But Conor taking on Tyron Woodley would be laughable. People would actually have been laughing.

Conor taking on GSP at WW would be a slaughter. Khabib taking on GSP at WW would not be taken seriously.

I call that the biggest step up in competition in MMA history. We all knew what it was.

conor took on fucking floyd mayweather in boxing you cockstain

sure he didn't win, but it wasn't an embarrassment

"Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death."

- Ikuhisa Minowa

badass quote but that sounds like the actions of a fucking moron

He doesnt lose anything but the rewards are bigger.he has a sh'tty record and he doesnt care anymore.imagine him beating a bigger guy people around here would praise him like a god.he knows this.this is obvious

More like looking to his corner for ideas.

If it is revisionist, you are trying to revise it.

Penn jabbed GSP about 50 times in the first round for no reason other than GSP engaged in a lot of boxing exchanges against a far superior boxer.

GSP was also knocked out on the feet against Matt Serra soon after this and Penn was winning all his fights as a striker at this point (unlike Serra).

He bypassed boxing range for a lot of his other fights until he started working with Freddie Roach.

So you and I agree Georges lost the 1st round. You didn't contradict anything I said in my post. You argue that at the time the fight took place BJ had better boxing. Baby Jay clearly lost that fight anyway. Soon as Georges didn't wilt and started to impose his game plan the cuckold folded.

"Revisionist" > very true.

1st: that was not an eye poke, see above ITT

View attachment 587953

2nd:this is what ya call "imposin´ his will":

View attachment 587961

= a natural WW reduced to L&P against a natural LW.
In other words: a WW workin´hard for the TD, landin´on top of the BJJ practionner, and sudenly rememberin´ that this was no guard for him.

View attachment 587955

Now, No Rush technically "won" the last 2 Rds, coz...well.. this is/was the UFC´s Scoring Ideology.

Yup, GSP did what he wanted to do and Baby Cuckold Jay was unable to do what he wanted to do. And GSP rightfully defeated him. Glad we're in agreement.

<mma4>Prime BJ had the biggest balls in the UFC
He had balls for sure. But it was more of a delusional arrogance. And he’s my favorite fighter ever, so I’m not bashing him. He just legit thought he could beat anyone back then.

I can’t say I can think of anyone taking on a greater challenge than the greatest WW of all time, twice. He did it before to Hughes.

I don’t even like BJ Penn that much.

But Conor taking on Tyron Woodley would be laughable. People would actually have been laughing.

Conor taking on GSP at WW would be a slaughter. Khabib taking on GSP at WW would not be taken seriously.

I call that the biggest step up in competition in MMA history. We all knew what it was.
but Khabib would beat GSP at WW, not sure why you included him in your OP.

conor took on fucking floyd mayweather in boxing you cockstain

sure he didn't win, but it wasn't an embarrassment

It looked exactly like people expected. It looked like a professional sparring with an amateur until he felt like finishing the fight. It wasn't embarrassing for the fighters because they walked away with a lot of money.

It was embarrassing for anyone who paid for the it, and ten times as embarrassing for anyone expecting it to be or describing it as competitive.

Stipe stepping up against Cormier was pretty ambitious too, did he really think DC would lose to Stefan Struve's leftovers? and as we saw in the fight, complete mismatch. Stipe running around on bambi legs claiming he's the greatest hw champ of all time lol.

It looked exactly like people expected. It looked like a professional sparring with an amateur until he felt like finishing the fight. It wasn't embarrassing for the fighters because they walked away with a lot of money.

It was embarrassing for anyone who paid for the it, and ten times as embarrassing for anyone expecting it to be or describing it as competitive.

the topic of the thread is most ambitious step up in competition and colin went from competing in mma to fighting in a different sport against one of the greatest boxers ever

it's like joe schmo the olympic water polo player taking on michael phelps

certainly more impressive than tippy toes penn going up a weightclass and getting his shit pushed in twice

"Revisionist" > very true.

1st: that was not an eye poke, see above ITT

View attachment 587953

2nd:this is what ya call "imposin´ his will":

View attachment 587961

= a natural WW reduced to L&P against a natural LW.
In other words: a WW workin´hard for the TD, landin´on top of the BJJ practionner, and sudenly rememberin´ that this was no guard for him.

View attachment 587955

Now, No Rush technically "won" the last 2 Rds, coz...well.. this is/was the UFC´s Scoring Ideology.

I can't believe people are still arguing about this fight.

BJ landed one strike that gave him the momentum not by virtue or being powerful or accurate, but because it happened to scratch GSP's eye. While GSP's vision was blurred BJ enjoyed some success, and won the round.

The other two rounds were 100% GSP by every relevant metric.

I'm a huge fan of both these guys but I see the things people say about this fight and shake my head. The fight couldn't be a more clear 29-28.

the topic of the thread is most ambitious step up in competition and colin went from competing in mma to fighting in a different sport against one of the greatest boxers ever

it's like joe schmo the olympic water polo player taking on michael phelps

certainly more impressive than tippy toes penn going up a weightclass and getting his shit pushed in twice

Fighting Mayweather wasn't ambitious, there was never any chance Conor was going to win. It was a freak show money fight. Any fighter in the world would have stepped up for that kind of money. Bethe Correia would have taken that fight.

Fighting Mayweather wasn't ambitious, there was never any chance Conor was going to win. It was a freak show money fight. Any fighter in the world would have stepped up for that kind of money. Bethe Correia would have taken that fight.

Which other mma fighter makes it to round ten?

And before you answer, explain why Floyd would want to carry him? Isn't it a better look for a GOAT candidate to make an absolute fool out him and KO him in the first couple of rounds? Wouldn't you want to smash the "outsider" from another sport?

The 2nd time? Without question.

While I can understand those arguing for Machida, the fact is Machida was very green, and a good style not to fuck BJ off of his face....

Being an intense follower of MMA at the time this was taking place......I'm still pissed off at the stupidity of the people who thought going 5 boring rounds with Diego Sanchez, and 4.5 rounds with K Flo (a fight BJ was highly arguably losing) somehow convinced anyone outside BJ's minon of fans that he stood a chance against GSP outside of a miracle.

Like the rematch with Matt Hughes, I told everyone at the time GSP would run over him like a truck because it was beyond obvious he would.

Mate, those fights with Sanchez and Florian were after he fought GSP.

Yeah. I mean the first time he fought him GSP was never a champ but definitely upcoming as a prospect- just like BJ. There was obviously a size advantage both times. BJ pieced him the fuck up the first time so people like me had reason to believe he would win the rematch... And the rematch was one sided and sad
Only idiots thought he would win the rematch. The only reason own even win the first round of the first fight was because gsp couldn't see from the eye poke.

Cm punk fighting Mickey Gall was bigger step up

lol

Technically, this.

Phil Brooks being a complete amateur with basically NO fighting pedigree, versus an actual professional fighter.

BJ was a world class professional when he took on GSP.

But I think we can all agree that giving Punk any sort of credit for accomplishment in mma is a joke and makes you gag.

So stick to non freak shows.

You dont even believe this trash. Would have been massive if GSP had the balls to fight Silva, but sadly he was petrified of that fight.
Same could be said for Silva if you want to play that game. Avoided Jones like the plague when he had already fought at 205, now spends the remainder of his career calling out someone 6 inches shorter who weighs 168lbs.

Back