Was Anderson Silva's rise similar to McGregor's ?

Was on a 6 fight win streak (5ufc).

Anyway one hit kos just don't look as good as multiple exchanges when the result is totally in one guys favour.

You see a one hit ko but nothing else you can always wonder what would have happened without that one strike (jds cain for example) but after the leben fight no one at all thought they belonged in a cage together ever again.

You don't question the one-strike KO when that fighter has done it in the past in the exact same scenario using the same weapon. Conor's done this, before he did it to Aldo. See the Paddy Doherty fight or even what he did in the Buchinger fight to finish him. The Doherty finish was the same as the Aldo finish, only quicker, since it came at 4 seconds.

You don't question the one-strike KO when that fighter has done it in the past in the exact same scenario using the same weapon. Conor's done this, before he did it to Aldo. See the Paddy Doherty fight or even what he did in the Buchinger fight to finish him. The Doherty finish was the same as the Aldo finish, only quicker, since it came at 4 seconds.

What you mean like when JDS KOed Werdum?

No, that doesn't change my opinion.

What you mean like when JDS KOed Werdum?

No, that doesn't change my opinion.

No. That JDS one-punch knockout was a wild swing of an overhand right. Conor's was perfectly timed and executed with unmistakable technical skill and crisp delivery. I get what you mean about how such a short fight could be viewed as luck or a fluke but again, in showing technical ability in the actual delivery of the strike, while having previous wins identical to it, you can safely cross off the luck or fluke thought. Conor knocked out a guy in identical fashion to Aldo previously. A little research into it and any doubt is removed.

No. That JDS one-punch knockout was a wild swing of an overhand right. Conor's was perfectly timed and executed with unmistakable technical skill and crisp delivery. I get what you mean about how such a short fight could be viewed as luck or a fluke but again, in showing technical ability in the actual delivery of the strike, while having previous wins identical to it, you can safely cross off the luck or fluke thought. Conor knocked out a guy in identical fashion to Aldo previously. A little research into it and any doubt is removed.

I posted the same stuff after JDS Cain 1, as did many others.

Look dude Conor did well, quick KO against a legend, but there is just no way you can convince me or many others that it created a aura like that of Anderson after he made Leben look like he was fighting in slow-mo.

Get off Conor's _ _ _ _ and come back to earth.

I posted the same stuff after JDS Cain 1, as did many others.

Look dude Conor did well, quick KO against a legend, but there is just no way you can convince me or many others that it created a aura like that of Anderson after he made Leben look like he was fighting in slow-mo.

Get off Conor's _ _ _ _ and come back to earth.

Why so defensive man? Anderson fucking up Leben > Conor KO'ing Aldo with 1 perfectly timed and placed punch? LOL. You're a moron. It's you that needs to come back to earth and get off all of these Brazilian fighters' nuts.

No.

Anderson did it in a more legit weight class, didn't need to talk shit and completely embarrassed fools before moving up to the most stacked weight class and beating its former champ.
Middleweight is better than featherweight? Lol

1.)No one thought .. Travis Lutter.. laid the blueprint.

2.) Conor also gets hit a lot. Having our hands down and not getting hit is cool. Having them down and getting tagged means you need to put your hands up

Yes and combined with BJ penn's original approach in wanting to fight everyone

It's funny, people said that Conor was protected on his way to the title, but he fought 5 people before his shot. Anderson fought exactly 1 guy before his title shot.

Anyway, they do have some similarities, in that they are both magical strikers. Therefore people will always think that a takedown is the way to beat them.

Well, lets be honest here. People say that about Conor because in his first 5 ufc fights he fought 4 strikers and 1 bjj based fighter who preferred to strike and Conor has good size and reach on all of em. They were all favorable match ups for him. Conor never fought the tougher style match ups on his way to a title shot. Anderson got his shot because he was a big name in mma and fought some pretty legit guys along the way in Pride, CR and ROTC while Conor came from a small organization and needed to build his name.

Why so defensive man? Anderson fucking up Leben > Conor KO'ing Aldo with 1 perfectly timed and placed punch? LOL. You're a moron. It's you that needs to come back to earth and get off all of these Brazilian fighters' nuts.

Just stating my opinion which with the benefit of time you will agree with.

As I'm rewatching Anderson Silva's fightography since he joined the UFC, I couldn't help but notice many similarities to McGregor's rise.

- Following his fight with Travis Lutter, in which Anderson was taken down and GnP'ed, many thought that Lutter laid the blueprint to defeat Silva. Very similar to the Chad Mendes fight with Conor.

- Silva's striking was way ahead of the rest. Standing up, no one seemed to have an answer to him. Same can be said about Conor. Just like Silva's striking was way ahead of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, and Vitor Belfort , Cono made Poirier, Mendes, and Aldo look like amateurs in the striking game.

- Silva had a hardcore fan base that was very much vilified on Sherdog, and a dedicated hater base latching on the nuts of whoever The Spider was fighting, only to forget him after he loses and swing on the nuts of his next challenger.

- There's an aura that was very particular to Anderson Silva's fights during his peak. Watching him enter the ring gave fans goose bumps, eyes were glued to screens, and his fights felt like larger than life events. That "don't blink" kind of aura is present when Conor fights too.

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of more ancient Sherdoggers, who witnessed Silva's rise fully.

The journey is probably most similar. Early sub losses. Both blossomed inside the octagon. Cage Rage/Warriors connection. Elite strikers with a TD weakness. Both are relatively quiet off their backs but minimise a lot of damage/tie up really well. Both patient. Both highly confident.

Anderson moved up in weight twice however, so until Conor goes to 170lb, Anderson has that as his biggest point of difference.

As I'm rewatching Anderson Silva's fightography since he joined the UFC, I couldn't help but notice many similarities to McGregor's rise.

- Following his fight with Travis Lutter, in which Anderson was taken down and GnP'ed, many thought that Lutter laid the blueprint to defeat Silva. Very similar to the Chad Mendes fight with Conor.

- Silva's striking was way ahead of the rest. Standing up, no one seemed to have an answer to him. Same can be said about Conor. Just like Silva's striking was way ahead of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, and Vitor Belfort , Cono made Poirier, Mendes, and Aldo look like amateurs in the striking game.

- Silva had a hardcore fan base that was very much vilified on Sherdog, and a dedicated hater base latching on the nuts of whoever The Spider was fighting, only to forget him after he loses and swing on the nuts of his next challenger.

- There's an aura that was very particular to Anderson Silva's fights during his peak. Watching him enter the ring gave fans goose bumps, eyes were glued to screens, and his fights felt like larger than life events. That "don't blink" kind of aura is present when Conor fights too.

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of more ancient Sherdoggers, who witnessed Silva's rise fully.

Silva didn't shit talk until Vitor.

Just stating my opinion which with the benefit of time you will agree with.

The benefit of time? Conor will almost surely lose before Anderson because his strength of schedule >>> Anderson's. That's how we know. Conor is moving up to Lightweight to fight their champion and in his last two fights he fought elite fighters, Aldo was #1 P4P. Silva's never fought a #1 P4P guy and ran through him in seconds or moved up. He stayed in the Middleweight division which was the weakest ever at the time.

The benefit of time? Conor will almost surely lose before Anderson because his strength of schedule >>> Anderson's. That's how we know. Conor is moving up to Lightweight to fight their champion and in his last two fights he fought elite fighters, Aldo was #1 P4P. Silva's never fought a #1 P4P guy and ran through him in seconds or moved up. He stayed in the Middleweight division which was the weakest ever at the time.

Nothing new here.

No.

Anderson did it in a more legit weight class, didn't need to talk shit and completely embarrassed fools before moving up to the most stacked weight class and beating its former champ.
Lol mw was weak as shit back then

I don't think Conor has ever looked as good as Silva did in his Leben fight.

Actually I don't think anyone has ever looked as good as Silva did in his Leben fight.
Connor vs brimage was basically the same thing

Connor vs brimage was basically the same thing

Yep. He doesn't understand this. Anderson's strength of schedule leading to the title was just 1 fight in the UFC, Chris fuckin Leben. Conor had to fight 6 guys just to face Aldo for the undisputed title. He had to get through a monster of a #1 contender and another Top 10 guy in Poirier before he could even fight the champ, who was ranked #1 P4P. Anderson went from Leben straight to Rich Franklin. There's no comparison in Strength of Schedule.

Yep. He doesn't understand this. Anderson's strength of schedule leading to the title was just 1 fight in the UFC, Chris fuckin Leben. Conor had to fight 6 guys just to face Aldo for the undisputed title. He had to get through a monster of a #1 contender and another Top 10 guy in Poirier before he could even fight the champ, who was ranked #1 P4P. Anderson went from Leben straight to Rich Franklin. There's no comparison in Strength of Schedule.
You are a grade A wanker but you sir are right

#conorbless

No. I don't think Conor's rise was similar to Anderson Silva. And even less so the reaction from the fans towards him.

Anderson was thirty years old already by the time he got a title and he had lost that fight to Chonan kind of recently up to that point and also had a loss to Takase, also via sub, a few fights before that. So he wasn't unbeaten, he wasn't very young and was coming to the UFC, got two wins and then beat Franklin for the title.

So people questioned him for good reasons.

I don't remember the fans reaction on this message board in particular, because I was not a member, but I think after his fight with Demian Maia that he got a lot of haters, but before that people just doubted him because he still had not built his aura of invencibility.

After he beat Vitor with that straight kick to the face, Hendo, who many thought was a nightmare matchup for him and then Griffin, which was a LHW fight that was one of his most impressive wins.
That's when he become THE Anderson Silva.

Conor McGregor is different. People treat him like he's Anderson Silva AFTER he had beaten Vitor, Hendo and Franklin twice, but the reality is that he has zero title defenses.

Back