Elections Warren gives details of her gun control plan

Since everything is about identity politics, why not ban guns for the demographic doing all the killings with guns?

Shes a habitual liar and im not suprised she plagiarized this from somebody else.

Stolen guns do make up a portion of the crime guns in circulation, but not the majority.

The reality is that when a criminal wants a gun they're not going to wait around for one to be stolen. Stealing a gun is not some exact science, you don't know which house or car is going to have one.They want it right now and they're more commonly acquired through a "legal" proxy.

You're correct about the "want it right now", but that's why said stolen gun gets passed around criminal to criminal selling it to others. That's the underground market, and why getting a gun is as easy as buying a pack of cigarettes in Chicago. Really cool letter here written by an inmate busted for buying and selling guns in Chicago. Not even a big dog, still had a super easy time finding some whenever needed that he sold to someone who was an informant and busted him.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4066005-PickettLetter.html

Says "Some are bought from gun stores in suburbs and Indiana, some are stolen from gun stores. Some are stolen off freight trains".

And law cracking down on straw purchasers with hefty sentences I'd be all for, as a way to nip the other method you mention there.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01...sal-background-checks-an-assault-weapons-ban/

Elizabeth Warren posted this comment on Facebook and linked the above article, so this would presumably be very close to what she'd like to implement as president if elected

Our gun violence epidemic is a public health emergency—and we need to make big, structural changes if we want to end it. So today, I introduced the Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act in the Senate to confront this crisis head on.

*Require state or federal liscense to purchase firearm
*7 day waiting period on all guns
*21 years old to purchase any guns or ammo
*Ban similar to 2004 assault weapon ban would be re implemented
*bulk gun purchases (doesn't say how many is considered bulk) would be restricted
*Allow manufacturers to be sued in civil courts
*100 million a year for gun violence research
*100 million a year for gun violence intervention programs

Can we get a proper discussion on these items perhaps, instead of just re-used talking points like most threads?

All this push to 21 talk, smoking, guns, etc. Should just up to 21 for marriage and military enlistment

Has anyone seen any studies about how often a new gun is legally bought and used to kill within a week? I feel like this is a myth

Very dissapointed there's nothing about stricter sentences for people who actually use a gun in a crime, or a mandatory minimum for a felon in knowing possession of a gun. Those are two keys areas of gun violence that could actually bring the number of deaths down, not just make it a headache for a person with no criminal intent or history to buy a gun.
1) Not sure on waiting periods. Hard to argue for or against with conviction.
2) Don't agree with age restriction but recognize the necessity. 21 seems high to me.
3) Don't agree with any bans based on weapon type.
4) What's a bulk gun purchase? Depending on scale, I could see some validity there because it starts moving away from self-arming into another category.
5) Completely agree with suing manufacturers.
6-7) Okay with money for research and intervention programs.

I think raising the legal age for things to 21 is okay but it always brings me back to criminal sentencing of juveniles and that's just going to derail this thread.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01...sal-background-checks-an-assault-weapons-ban/

Elizabeth Warren posted this comment on Facebook and linked the above article, so this would presumably be very close to what she'd like to implement as president if elected

Our gun violence epidemic is a public health emergency—and we need to make big, structural changes if we want to end it. So today, I introduced the Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act in the Senate to confront this crisis head on.

*bulk gun purchases (doesn't say how many is considered bulk) would be restricted

Can we get a proper discussion on these items perhaps, instead of just re-used talking points like most threads?

All this push to 21 talk, smoking, guns, etc. Should just up to 21 for marriage and military enlistment

Has anyone seen any studies about how often a new gun is legally bought and used to kill within a week? I feel like this is a myth

Very dissapointed there's nothing about stricter sentences for people who actually use a gun in a crime, or a mandatory minimum for a felon in knowing possession of a gun. Those are two keys areas of gun violence that could actually bring the number of deaths down, not just make it a headache for a person with no criminal intent or history to buy a gun.

Nah. 18 year olds can go to the military and shoot up the middle east, but can't buy a gun until 21? Most of that doesn't even address any of the real problems, or offer real solutions, and things like "sue the manufacturer" is just absurd altogether. We already need state IDs and background checks to make a purchase, and have to wait 3 business days before we can pick up. It doesn't add up for me.

Not bad but a few big problems.
1)holding manufacturers liable is dead in the water. That like holding car companies liable for drunk drivers or McDonalds liable for heart attacks. It's an overreach and wont fly at all.
2)Assault bans. Bans in general piss me off but vague words that dont mean shit attached to bans are just....dumb. if they want to ban something (and I am absolutely not advocating for this) they should use the proper terminology. I.e. semi-auto, full-auto, etc.
Any ban in my opinion is a non starter though.

I would also add a lot of language about mental health but I can see how that's a separate issue when it comes to these things

Guns should be mandatory to level out the playing field.

Since everything is about identity politics, why not ban guns for the demographic doing all the killings with guns?
Men? They commit over 90% of the killing. I can't agree with banning guns for men. A bridge too far.

Again with the "assault weapons"... A semi auto weapon is not an assault weapon no matter how black and scary looking it is and anyone who says otherwise is a moron and should not be listened to.

“21 to buy a gun” law should be tethered to “21 to vote” as well.

Hell, let’s make it 25 for both for the next 10 years and observe the results.

Should raise the age of consent and legal drinking age to 25 as well...may as well make things consistent.

Nothing unacceptable there imo, although I think dealers rather than manufacturers are more sensible holders of liability. I've never understood the sense in suing manufacturers, whether it's Hillary Clinton or anyone else proffering the idea.

Personally, I'd like to see tracking of and quantity restrictions on ammunition.

Where do they illegally purchase guns from though?

(*hint: every crime gun was purchased legally at one point)

A straw purchaser is not a legal purchase. So no unless you are calling a wholesale buy by a FFL dealer the one legal purchase.

All stupid and have been shown to be a stupid idea.

If you want to stop gun violence you go after the criminals but no democrat is going to do that. It worked before and could work again. See project exil.

Men? They commit over 90% of the killing. I can't agree with banning guns for men. A bridge too far.

Black men specifically.

Or is that racist to point out?

A straw purchaser is not a legal purchase. So no unless you are calling a wholesale buy by a FFL dealer the one legal purchase.

No shit Sherlock, but no one knows it's straw purchase at the time of purchase. That's the point.

You don't find out till after and the damage is done.

No shit Sherlock, but no one knows it's straw purchase at the time of purchase. That's the point.

You don't find out till after and the damage is done.

So why not tighten down the laws around straw purchasing?

Rather than treating every gun purchase as a potential straw purchase and creating a future confiscation list?

None of these laws are specifically to hammer on straw purchases, which I'd before, and instead are extremely broad so that straw buys can still easily slip through cracks while creating layers of red tape for all legal gun purchases.

So why not tighten down the laws around straw purchasing?

Rather than treating every gun purchase as a potential straw purchase and creating a future confiscation list?

None of these laws are specifically to hammer on straw purchases, which I'd before, and instead are extremely broad so that straw buys can still easily slip through cracks while creating layers of red tape for all legal gun purchases.

There is no "tightening up laws around straw purchases." The whole point is that the buyer appears completely legitimate, you can only punish them after the fact in the current state. The goal would be to make doing it harder in the first place.

Alright here we go

Not opposed to this depending on implementation. Make it shall issue, tie training to it, have it work as a green light to NICS, and loosen NFA restrictions and I like it.

Don't really see the point

Already the case for handguns, but doesn't do anything to address straw purchases. Not really doing anything.

Non starter

Not well defined, but also sounds like a non starter on its face.

Depends on how it's implemented.

Like it

Like it

Back