Social Warning labels on classic cartoons because they don't jibe with recent social engineering efforts.

This is just pathetic at this point. You seriously can't see why someone could find that portrayal offensive?
I can see someone finding anything offensive. And?
In fact, I find your avatar extremely offensive to liberals. Change it or put a warning label on it.

I don't have a problem with the warnings, it's good to give context.

I just wish they would let us watch Song of the South.... just include a warning.

I'm talking in general. I don't have Disney+.

Care to address anything I said? You kind of keep avoiding my point of westerners complaining about perceived racial stereotypes, because foreign cultures and features are apparently racist.
I think that's a bit untrue.

I think Westerners react just fine to realistic portrayals of other cultures. I think they respond negatively to caricatures of those cultures.

To use your mud huts and loin cloths example. There's a difference between portraying a culture that lives in mud huts and wears loin cloths in a fashion that demonstrates the nuances of their society and a portrayal of them as little more than ignorant and/or stupid savages

Native American culture with its pros and cons vs. the alcoholic savage mesmerized by simple beads. Westerners handle the first one fine and recoil at the second.

Yes, a warning label on a cartoon you'll likely never watch offending you is the definition of triggered. I don't give a fuck about some warning label on a product saying "this product contains a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer" you think one on a cartoon for kids is troubling?

Y'all rightwingers are the biggest victim class in existence. Forever outraged.
I’m a right leaning person and I don’t give a fuck about cartoons having a warning or not. If only for the reason arguing with the left over it is just plain silly. If warning labels are what it takes staple one to your fucking forehead for all I care.

I think that's a bit untrue.

I think Westerners react just fine to realistic portrayals of other cultures. I think they respond negatively to caricatures of those cultures.

To use your mud huts and loin cloths example. There's a difference between portraying a culture that lives in mud huts and wears loin cloths in a fashion that demonstrates the nuances of their society and a portrayal of them as little more than ignorant and/or stupid savages

Native American culture with its pros and cons vs. the alcoholic savage mesmerized by simple beads. Westerners handle the first one fine and recoil at the second.
I'm sure there are Westerners that would complain either way but there's going to be a non-zero number of people who complain about almost anything so at some point you just have to filter out the reactionary personality types and stick to addressing more well founded complaints. And when it comes to portrayals of other cultures like those of Natives just a little nuance and care goes a long way for much of the audience. Some people complained about Moana but I am sure there are others who appreciated seeing the culture of Pacific Islanders at all especially with the extra care Disney has nowadays when compared to the mid 20th century or even just the 90s.

Leave the damn cartoons alone.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/di...fjm1FxdC5UKRzzcNtwDvooQ2R5hMTqHOO4kDchc8KTaUo

How far away are we from a ban on things that don't promote the 23 year old flakey gay and/or activist interns agenda, which they crafted to make it in the corporate world as a professional victim? It's somebody's weird agenda. I think those still using their brains can see that much.

So yeah we are on the way to banning things that show normal life. The social engineering is building and gaining momentum. If the furthest social left position becomes "You cannot show a man who appears to be the head of a household" then that will require a warning, or a ban. Keep pretending things aren't getting weird really fast. I pointed out the Disney poster basically had 4/7 human characters on it that were borderline not hetero, with a minimum 3 feminist characters, and (of course) got attacked by Sherdog's resident NPCs.

So who thinks movies like Cinderella or the Little Mermaid need a warning?

FirmIdolizedBrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Considering Disney's history of just withholding what they see as problematic content, this seems like a step forward. I mean you're free to hate Disney already, I'm certainly no fan myself. But you have to be a real pansy to be afraid of this.

Don't be a pansy.

I love the Sopranos, BTW.

Lol I'm not offended in the least by Tony. But I bet if Lady and Butch went to a soul food restaurant with a black chef who served them gumbo and serenaded them with a trumpet, or an Indian restaurant with an Indian chef who served then goat curry and serenaded them with a sitar, people would be saying it was offensive.

Books, movies, etc. were a product of their time. I'd much prefer to see a simple warning label than to ban or outright censor them. I never saw the Fantasia Centaur before now, but holy fuck is that racist. I could see why they'd give a warning or simply remove that. I could never get through that movie as a kid due to it being boring AF so I don't even remember if they had scrubbed it already in the 80s/90s.

I wouldn't even mind if they had the option to see either the original release or a cleaned up version. Fucking outrage culture man, like this is your hill? Warning labels about racist stereotypes? So damn petty.

Lol I'm not offended in the least by Tony. But I bet if Lady and Butch went to a soul food restaurant with a black chef who served them gumbo and serenaded them with a trumpet, or an Indian restaurant with an Indian chef who served then goat curry and serenaded them with a sitar, people would be saying it was offensive.

The accents would have to be terribly thick, as well.

Books, movies, etc. were a product of their time. I'd much prefer to see a simple warning label than to ban or outright censor them. I never saw the Fantasia Centaur before now, but holy fuck is that racist. I could see why they'd give a warning or simply remove that. I could never get through that movie as a kid due to it being boring AF so I don't even remember if they had scrubbed it already in the 80s/90s.

I wouldn't even mind if they had the option to see either the original release or a cleaned up version. Fucking outrage culture man, like this is your hill? Warning labels about racist stereotypes? So damn petty.
Is it racist? Maybe. Do all portrayals of AAs have to be beautiful and not goofy? No nappy hair etc...?

I would say it looks unflattering. I wouldn't want it redone the same today. I don't think it needs a warning.

I wouldn't mind warning labels if I could be assured it wouldn't go beyond that but I suspect its just the first step towards censorship. Kind of like how I didn't have a problem with Gay marriage but the alphabet people took that victory as a stepping stone towards pumping kids full of puberty blockers.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/di...fjm1FxdC5UKRzzcNtwDvooQ2R5hMTqHOO4kDchc8KTaUo

How far away are we from a ban on things that don't promote the 23 year old flakey gay and/or activist interns agenda, which they crafted to make it in the corporate world as a professional victim? It's somebody's weird agenda. I think those still using their brains can see that much.

So yeah we are on the way to banning things that show normal life. The social engineering is building and gaining momentum. If the furthest social left position becomes "You cannot show a man who appears to be the head of a household" then that will require a warning, or a ban. Keep pretending things aren't getting weird really fast. I pointed out the Disney poster basically had 4/7 human characters on it that were borderline not hetero, with a minimum 3 feminist characters, and (of course) got attacked by Sherdog's resident NPCs.

So who thinks movies like Cinderella or the Little Mermaid need a warning?

What's the issue here? Some of those old cartoons have very obvious racist caricatures, similar to Blackface and various racist posters/imagery that was not uncommon in America decades ago. So Disney is letting viewers know what to expect and they do not want to be seen as promoting old racist attitudes. I think Disney stopped showing many of these cartoons ages ago, but some might still be promoted and or featured.

Now in practice, some instances of warning text application may be felt to be taking things too far. If / When that happens, the criticism should be for that particular instance, not the whole concept of warning labels.

What's the issue here? Some of those old cartoons have very obvious racist caricatures, similar to Blackface and various racist posters/imagery that was not uncommon in America decades ago. So Disney is letting viewers know what to expect and they do not want to be seen as promoting old racist attitudes. I think Disney stopped showing many of these cartoons ages ago, but some might still be promoted and or featured.

Now in practice, some instances of warning text application may be felt to be taking things too far. If / When that happens, the criticism should be for that particular instance, not the whole concept of warning labels.
Black-face as in the skin is black? If Elmer Fudd had black skin everybody would say it's racist.

I've heard 'The Little Mermaid' has a warning. I'm not sure if it's true.

I’m a right leaning person and I don’t give a fuck about cartoons having a warning or not. If only for the reason arguing with the left over it is just plain silly. If warning labels are what it takes staple one to your fucking forehead for all I care.

Solid Take.

Back