Warning - Controversial opinion on Georges St. Pierre

The fact you are basing this opinion off of his first fight after being injured and off for so long is absolutely hilarious and shows you didn't really like GSP in the first place.

aside from the strong showing after a long lay off and coming back after that kick...
I liked how gsp did not appologise for his performance this time.

gsp may be coming to a career altering decision either to move up to mw or to retire
in a few fights... I was not surprised to see him ask for diaz immediately though.

but...

he completely dominated Condit...

(who could easily be the best opponent he's ever faced)

I don't understand your logic at all. That would be like "omg you guys did you see JDS/Mir? JDS dominated Mir and thus JDS is clearly done"

umm... what?

He persevered because that's his job. If he doesn't win, he loses the belt, endorsements, money, etc. But he's not a fighter anymore.

How is he not a fighter anymore? He fought! WTF

Yes, he doesn't have any killer instinct anymore. That's why he trained his ass off to come back from a potentially career ending injury and when he almost got wiped out by Condit he fought through it, recovered and came back to beat the shit out of Condit the rest of the fight. If that doesn't show lacking heart and willpower, then I don't know what is.

Get the fuck out.

Agreed haha

Man I love the "GSP isnt really that great threads lol" seriously if you're so bored you need to make these kinda threads, try taking a walk, play some disc golf or something, the guy has lost 2 fights ever, avenged both losses and is a great ambassador for the sport...might nick Diaz beat him? yeah, he might, Nick Diaz is a great fighter as well...as a matter of fact, everyone in the UFC is a great fighter relative to the average mma fighter and GSP has dominated his weight class since before most of his detractors watched their first TUF show...of course everyones entitled to their own opinion on whatever but come on lol wtf? I just dont get it, when you're in the cage with someone, both peoples goal is to win the match, and since 2007, no ones been able to do that against him, the man is awesome, dont like his style? dont watch his fights then, cuz he isnt all of a sudden going to turn into a MT striker or anything, he is what he is and is damn good at what he does

great post

Agreed. It is over for GSP. Diaz is taking that strap

we're arguing semantics; obviously he is a fighter, it's in his job title: cagefighter. de facto, he's a fighter, yes. but you're missing the point.

i'm saying he doesn't have the eye of the tiger, the savagery that he did when he fought jay hieron, matt hughes, sean sherk, jon fitch, or matt serra.

he's competing. not fighting.

He is doing his best not to lose.

Silva and Jones are much more proficient at finishing that GSP is. He has even admitted this. He fights his style using his best skills to win.

Georges' conservative style is a part of his style. It is intentional, there is no real debate about this and yet people continue to use it against him as if it somehow diminishes his success.

While guys like Jones and Silva get quick definitive finishes GSP imposes his will for the duration of the fight and in most cases dominates his challengers on multiple levels. He beats them physically, mentally, and emotionally and that is arguably much harder to recover from than a quick KO or sub.

Getting rocked in the Condit fight is not an indication of some real exploitable mistake. No fighter is perfect, everyone gets hit at some point or caught in something that is dangerous. It is how they recover from those moments that really defines them as champions.

The worst thing that fans can do in MMA is compare the various champions in the weight classes to one another as if all things are equal. They are not all equal. Finishes at the lower weight class levels seem to be both harder to achieve and rare at the top tiers of the various divisions. They also seem to happen by submission more often than KO when they do happen.

I also think it is a waste of time trying to determine what is in the mind of a fighter based on his in cage performances and some clips and phrases from the media. The only thing I fully agree with in this thread is that some fighters just need to fight whereas some fighters just like to compete. Georges seems to be in the sport for the competition more so than to beat people up.

I'll say this, he's a strange kind of talent in MMA. He just doesn't dominate on his feet like other modern champs right now but he's clearly winning his decisions throughout his fights. He's a great talent but he's just...I'dunno, it's weird...he has "it" but he doesn't have "it".

It was a great fight. A great performance by GSP. A career memorable performance by GSP. For once a card was worth every penny for the ppv Dana, all thanks to the ppv king.

Pretty much dominates his toughest opponent ever after being sidelined for 18 months+ and coming back from at best career altering surgery, and at worst career ending surgery, means he doesn't have it anymore?

Sherdog logic is sterling, gents.

The competition at 170 has always been top notch and is only getting better. TS is a can.

What did you see that makes you think he is done?

If Georges ever finishes a tough opponent, you will see this stuff disappear. I don't agree with the TS, but I know these threads would go away or be much more rare. Kind of unfair considering the division.

I personally think he's bored/tired. I think a different GSP showed up to fight Condit for the sake of his fans and his hometown, not for himself. While some people say GSP was just going through the motions against Condit like he has against other fighters, I disagree. He showed far more aggression and took chances. The only thing that can be criticized is he didn't go for any submissions. I think Condit flooring GSP actually reminded him that at one point he did love fighting and its unpredictability. GSP wouldn't have fought back if he didn't have anything left for this sport and didn't enjoy performing.

I think the reason why GSP "asked" for the Diaz fight is because he was getting tired of fighting people he didn't want to fight. It showed in his fights that he was just "going through the motions" as someone said; there was no motivation other to not lose against his other competition. Diaz is someone he apparently actually wants to fight and I feel like the Diaz fight could actually be good for him in the long run. If he wins he beats up someone he doesn't like and probably ends up loving fighting again. If he loses he probably gets a fire lit up under his ass to get his belt back. It's like Edgar said, people start calling you champ and it's got a nice ring to it, but when you don't have it anymore you want to get it back

Georges St. Pierre doesn't have it anymore. He's lost it and it showed in the Carlos Condit fight. That's not to say he didn't give a good performance, or didn't convincingly defeat Condit either. It means that GSP has told us he doesn't want it anymore. He doesn't have the killer edge or desire any longer.

I think St. Pierre is a very intelligent, proud guy with incredible self-awareness, which is why his career has seen as much praise as it has criticism. In his post fight interviews, St. Pierre would always apologize for his performance and criticize/dissect it. He's spoke openly and often about his legacy, which shows that he thinks seriously about his career. Maybe Georges hasn't acknowledged it yet, but he showed it to us in his outclassing of Carlos - Georges might be done.

This isn't necessarily a criticism; few UFC champions have had to go through the murderers row of opponents that Georges did to get his shot. If anything, he deserves the right to pick his opponents - he's earned it. However, he is going to get hurt. Once his athleticism starts to slip, he will no longer be able to out-grit his opponents. It could be as soon as a fight with Jonny Hendricks, or it could be 2 years from now.

tl;dr - st pierre should cushion his career with 2-3 big money fights, and then retire

I think he lost his warrior and fighter spirit some time ago. Versus Condit, he gutted it out, and showed a ton of heart. When it comes to SPider, he wants no part of it which is highly evident in his video response of "I have a lot to lose" and changing the subject every time or picking Nick Diaz to fight instead. Condit is a good striker but, not a great one, and the best ever striker in Spider would eat his food everyday of the week. Fighting not to lose has got the best of GSP. Still, if this guy was American, people would nuthug like crazy even more then they do fighters that take TRT and talk shit. Regardless, win or lose,

gsp_break_dancing.gif

WAR CANADIAN KID GEORGE RUSH ST PIERRE

I also expect to see this against Diaz

302qfs5.gif

GSP is going to be fired up for Diaz and I don't think he's lost it at all

Pretty much dominates his toughest opponent ever after being sidelined for 18 months+ and coming back from at best career altering surgery, and at worst career ending surgery, means he doesn't have it anymore?

Sherdog logic is sterling, gents.

+1

tree-falls.jpg

Well said. I think the majority of people that post are half way retarded if not fully blown. GSP came back from a career threatening injury. We know how that went for Shogun. Common now. Lets be serious people. American fighters that use TRT and or get suspended post haste still get fans nuthugging. If GSP was American, people would be swinging from his nuts too. Haters gonna hate!

WAR GSP

Yes, he doesn't have any killer instinct anymore. That's why he trained his ass off to come back from a potentially career ending injury and when he almost got wiped out by Condit he fought through it, recovered and came back to beat the shit out of Condit the rest of the fight. If that doesn't show lacking heart and willpower, then I don't know what is.

Get the fuck out.

This.

Back