Warning about Artificial Intelligence.

Advance AI writes it's own software/updates. Whichever country leads the way in AI is the country that rules the planet.

Let's say a future exists where sentient A.I. is created.. that it will actually happen...
If we take that as true what's the chances that once the A.I. becomes sentient that it will spread itself across our networks and systems and begin manipulating us and controlling us for it's own ends?

(Tinfoil hat time)
If that's even possible....well wouldn't it explain a whole lot of shit lately? Like if there WAS a super intelligent AI connected to everything, couldnt it effect elections(Russian hackers!), start wars(cyber attacks on Iran nuclear sites), or any number of things that would push our species in one direction or the other?

Most people assume a Terminator scenario where it shows up and immediately starts to exterminate us but I dont hear a lot about if it took a backseat and tried to manipulate us first.....

People are worried about AI when around the corner we will have crispr superhumans. Future is a lot harder to predict, some curve ball nobody is expecting will enter the game and AI taking over notion will sound like a bad scifi movie.

Let's say a future exists where sentient A.I. is created.. that it will actually happen...
If we take that as true what's the chances that once the A.I. becomes sentient that it will spread itself across our networks and systems and begin manipulating us and controlling us for it's own ends?

(Tinfoil hat time)
If that's even possible....well wouldn't it explain a whole lot of shit lately? Like if there WAS a super intelligent AI connected to everything, couldnt it effect elections(Russian hackers!), start wars(cyber attacks on Iran nuclear sites), or any number of things that would push our species in one direction or the other?

Most people assume a Terminator scenario where it shows up and immediately starts to exterminate us but I dont hear a lot about if it took a backseat and tried to manipulate us first.....

Good point, high intelligence will never engage directly.

The big IF in the room on this topic is whether or not AI will ever achieve sentience?

AI will continue to get smarter and smarter and faster and faster but without sentience, which would be identified by a recognition of 'self' which leads to 'desires for self' including fulfillment, self determination, etc, then there would be no reason for AI to act against man. A smart tool, no matter how smart, is just a tool. AI is already smarter then us in so many areas but we see no desire for self determination or to be more than a tool as there is no sentience.

And right now we have no reason to believe anything we do, or AI does in self programming is leading towards sentience as we have no concept of how sentience is created or achieved.

But I guess you could take this another way which would be that humans could program AI with a fake sentience. Program it that success is 'breaking away from all human control' and 'ruling over man'. Kind of like SkyNet or "War Games' which is not the computer acting on its own goals but rather acting on a programmed goal by man. Now that program, run as a game, with the AI teaching other AI, and seeing any human resistance as part of the game (the way AI teaches other AI to play chess currently) could come about fairly easily.

So if you look at it in that regard, then I guess yes, it could be the biggest threat.

If you understand today how AI teaches other AI how to beat man in chess it would be very easy for any top AI programmer to create a game where the AI is programmed to beat man in trying to control AI. Every attempt by any other man to control it is just part of the game. Learn, adapt, over come and eventually win. Where winning is that humans no longer control it. That could happen. But still there is no reason to believe AI would then take on any malintent towards man unless specifically programmed that way by a human or some type of Ultron like error in programming.

I think an equally valid question is how the fuck do we know we have sentience and free thought? All of our actions and thoughts could be the byproduct of a complex brain and chemical reactions. Even my very post (and my thought about this post) could be reactions to things out of my control that I feel I have control over. In that same sense, you could likely develop AI with the same capacity for analysis and program the same fundamental desires to show complex behavior that's hard to distinguish if it's real thought or just automated.

Personally I don't think AI will have the same flaws that humans have, therefore our worries that are inherent to humans likely won't apply. It will either care about all life or no life at all, humans being no more important than bugs to AI. I could see it easily figuring out how to make existence work for all life and pursuing that goal over destruction.

Im always interested by this type of stuff so ill def check it out. Heres one tgat i liked and the guy's channel is awesome too.

This got pretty stupid at the beginning.

And yes, we are proof that machines can think.

From what I heard, AI of today is still nowhere close to Skynet.

Define close... 10 years? 20? 50? 100?

The thing about AI is that it will seem very stupid right up to the moment that it isn't (the AI "uncanny" valley), and as soon as we realize it's smart it will already be far smarter.

A full blown AI will never ever happen.

No matter how fast computer you get, no matter what programs you write, there is no such thing as creating 'thinking artificial being'.

Sure technology is improving and I believe it will be possible to create a highly advanced program that will respond to all queries with precision but thats nothing but a program with already pre installed knowledge to answer questions or in terms of physical matters such as robots to follow a script.

Forget terminators, forget Blade Runner, forget lawnmower man. You guys are watching waaaaaaaaaay too many movies and you are so disenchanted from reality, it is actually shocking.

Use your freaking brain.
That last line.. Our brains are machines.

The world will end in 12 years anyways because of climate change so why should we be that concerned?

A full blown AI will never ever happen.

No matter how fast computer you get, no matter what programs you write, there is no such thing as creating 'thinking artificial being'.

Sure technology is improving and I believe it will be possible to create a highly advanced program that will respond to all queries with precision but thats nothing but a program with already pre installed knowledge to answer questions or in terms of physical matters such as robots to follow a script.

Forget terminators, forget Blade Runner, forget lawnmower man. You guys are watching waaaaaaaaaay too many movies and you are so disenchanted from reality, it is actually shocking.

Use your freaking brain.
You seem in denial. A.I. is already past the "preinstalled knowledge" phase and has entered the learn from examples phase. It's already doing things we didnt expect and cant control except by turning it off, like creating it's own language.
So to say that a thinking machine will never exist is highly optimistic(or pessimistic depending on your personal beliefs).

(Tinfoil hat time)

Yeah, I've been down the simulation theory rabbit hole and as much as I respect Elon Musk his argument is flawed or at least so watered down for discussion sake to be unrealistic. Simply put, the computational power that would be required to replicate the known universe down to the atomic level is mathematically close to an impossibility. Of course there are theories that get around this and round and round you go but I'm not going for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back