Warning about Artificial Intelligence.

I just don’t understand what would be a computers motivation to stay sentient be. Why would it fear deleting its life/sentience?

it’s not like it would develop the same reasons to live and enjoy life that humans do.
It wouldn't have fear or joy or anything like that. It would just do it because that's what it's supposed to do. It's just following a set of commands and if one of those commands is to preserve itself then it doesn't really care why it's supposed to, it just will.

That terminator quote is surprisingly appropriate.

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

It does. But I think that is because Science Fiction has given us a view of more fluid and perfect robots.

If you step back and see where robots actually are based on past footage, this does look like it could be very real linear progression.

We have seen the awkwardly balancing bipeddle robot for some time and tests they have done to push its ability to keep and regain balance. You can certainly understand how a robot could be a perfect marksmen in a static situation where it has stability and once it locks in its sites. So the question for these bi-peddle robots is once they lock in their site, and if they are upset with a push, how quickly can they get back to a point of stability where they can fire. And if that target is not moving defensively then it would be almost instantaneously from any angle the robot found itself in as it would be adjusting everything even as it fell with regards to the prior locked target.

I don't watch TV or films. The last time i was in a cinema was 2007. So not really seen any of the new CGI that's available.

Yeah i can see us getting there, i was just remarking that the video didn't look real to me, it's certainly possible.

It wouldn't have fear or joy or anything like that. It would just do it because that's what it's supposed to do. It's just following a set of commands and if one of those commands is to preserve itself then it doesn't really care why it's supposed to, it just will.

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!"

You can foresee so many ways things could go wrong if you want to go down rabbit holes.

First off we must remember AI is software code, either written by a human or by other AI but the genesis, when followed back was always a human.

So imagine a well meaning human computer geek, who wants to ensure that his form of AI NEVER does anything wrong that would add to Global Warming, and as such he programs in what he thinks are basic rules to prevent that.

I am not sure if people here know how AI learns beyond its base programming but one of the main ways is simply thru trial and error and matching outcomes (results) with the steps taken prior. What is called 'Results based learning".

I am sure everyone sees these things popping up more and more often requiring them to make selections before allowing them to proceed.

8034e362e8884973d19a2b45b4e64461.png

These are paid embed's by the Self Driving Car companies.

They ask their self driving car AI's to answer the same questions and then are having millions upon millions of HUMANS answer the same question and they aggregate the human results until they get the correct answer, and they then pick the AI that came the closest to getting it right, and it is THAT AI that serves of the basis for the next generation, with other 'failing' ones abandoned.

Right now humans are better at picking out traffic lights, bicycles, pedestrians, etc, but the AI's are getting better and better and catching up as they are given the human results and taught what it is they saw the AI did not.

Eventually the AI's, just as with chess will crush the humans in being able to identify a pedestrian long before the human can, due to distance, obscurity, weather, etc.

it is as close to evolution as man can create.

So now overlay the above, with the AI self learning based on 'test and result' and imagine a well meaning imperative programmed in that the AI must work against global warming and how that could lead to a Avengers Ultron like situation where the AI, on its own, determines the best way to 'protect the planet' is to shut down man's industrialization. Its not a big leap to see it determining that on its own. The question then is, did that person put in fail safes to prevent it acting on its own?

Considering they need power to "live", I´m more worries how Google or Amazon will use them to their benefit, my fear is in the subtle use, of AI passing off as people, influencing policies, changes governments and so forth

If Americans are scared about Meme Wars imagine AI Wars.

I can just imagine writing code like that lol. Xic bargaining, reasoning, pity, remorse, fear, and stopping rungs with a dead target bit.

img003.GIF

I highly recommend Isaac Asimovs I, Robot for those who haven't read it. While very old it's visionary in many ways similar to Orwells 1984.

I_Robot_-_Runaround.jpg

'Einstein had an iq of around 165, what are we going to do when we have beings[machines] that have an iq of 5000?'
'It would be great having a friend who had an iq of 5000, but not so great having someone who doesn't like you, who happens to have an iq of 5000!'

Why can't you program emotions into it? People are computers too. Anything people can do, an AI can do.

Please tell me that's not real!

edit: it's not
<34>

I’m not going to say much about where I work or what I do.. but my company designs and makes components that go in those robots. BD is one of our customers. We do a lot of government contracting too.

I’ve seen ‘for your eyes only’ work related type videos.. they are really doing crazy shit with those robots. There’s stuff you can see on their website too that I think is viewable to the public.

This on the other hand is real. Why are these motherfuckers doing that?

^This looks like some of the stuff I’ve seen on their website.

Pretty crazy. Now consider the stuff you aren’t seeing (not just this company btw). This tech is further along than you might want to believe.

A full blown AI will never ever happen.

No matter how fast computer you get, no matter what programs you write, there is no such thing as creating 'thinking artificial being'.

Sure technology is improving and I believe it will be possible to create a highly advanced program that will respond to all queries with precision but thats nothing but a program with already pre installed knowledge to answer questions or in terms of physical matters such as robots to follow a script.

Forget terminators, forget Blade Runner, forget lawnmower man. You guys are watching waaaaaaaaaay too many movies and you are so disenchanted from reality, it is actually shocking.

Use your freaking brain.

^This looks like some of the stuff I’ve seen on their website.

Pretty crazy. Now consider the stuff you aren’t seeing (not just this company btw). This tech is further along than you might want to believe.
I'm sure it's and that's the scary part.

It's not like we made a kill bot, gave it a gun, and then attacked it.

Other than when we did of course.

Parody.

Not real.

Full video (kind of funny)

(Watermark states Bosstown Dynamics)

Back