Warm-up injury...

S

S3Project

Folks,

I was warming up for the squat (work sets at 260 pounds) about a week ago. I did about 5 minutes on the rower, some BW squats, the squat stretch, etc. I then did two sets of 5 with just the bar, then a set of 5 at 95 pounds, then a set of 4 at 135 pounds. I loaded the bar up to 175 and attempted a warm-up set of three reps.

Coming out of the hole on the second squat, I felt a distinct "pull" or "tear" feeling on the right side of my lower back. I could not complete the set, or my workout. I was quite stiff and pained the rest of the night (most of the pain coming whenever I attempted back flexion), but the pain dulled quite quickly, most of it being relieved in a day or two, and I wrote it off as just a minor quibble. Would this injury be consistent with excessive butt winking / lack of tightness at the bottom of the squat?

(I did a trail run the next day, and then sprints two days after, without issue. Yet, yesterday, I attempted a "Murph", and the bodyweight squats pulled quite harshly on my lower back, indicating that following the Bill Starr rehab protocol, perhaps with back extensions, will be necessary. I hope to be able to deadlift heavy during rehab)

Regards,
Derek

You pulled/strained/slightly tore your quadratus lumborum (spelling?). Its the main muscle of the erector spinae in your back. Your going to want to rehab it with isometrics and controlled back extensions.

*I did the same thing, what I found works good is to stretch it in the shower while the hot water beats down on your back to relxa the muscles a bit.

No worries bro, also if you have a chiropractor who does ART in town hit him up to speed up healing and prevent the formation of scar tissue.

Back