Warm up before lifting= run?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by vincent80, Oct 26, 2010.

1. vincent80

vincent80 Blue Belt

I usually run 1-2 miles before lifting....with the pace getting faster and faster as I get closer to the end of the run. I feel it gives me a boost of energy and helps get my mind in the right place to lift. What's your guys opinions about this and also what are some routines you do to warm up.

2. facedancer

facedancer Warning: ***hole

I've always read it's far better to run after a workout bc you're going to peak and come down before you begin lifting. The idea before a workout is to warmup to the point of sweating, usually around 5 minutes.

I usually do 5 on the eliptical or row bc I can concentrate warming both upper and lower body muscles.

3. Morganation

Morganation Brown Belt

My warm up is the walk to the gym.

4. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

Contrary to popular belief, cardio isn't the best kind of warm up for weightlifting. Let's say for example that you are going to have a bench day, how is running going to prepare you for benching? Running is a good way to increase blood flow, but you need to prepare your muscles and joints for the movements they will be going through. I leave my cardio on separate days. When I lift I just do dynamic stretching, then warmup with lightweights, then move on to my working sets.

5. ssdd

ssdd Purple Belt

1-2 miles is too much. I do some mobility and activation stuff at home and when I get to the gym I might jog for 3-5minute but usually no more then half a mile.

6. Masakatsu Funaki #1

Masakatsu Funaki #1 Black Belt

Ditto. Maybe a few rounds of burpees if I'm feeling lively.

7. FBlue

FBlue Brown Belt

Not sure if you are stretching before you run or lift but I would do that. No need to get a injury lifting that could have been prevented by proper stretching.

8. Masakatsu Funaki #1

Masakatsu Funaki #1 Black Belt

Slowly warming up with lightweight and going full range of motion > Stretching. Well, at least static stretching.

9. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

static stretching is not your friend

10. Seriously-Dead

Seriously-Dead wubbalubbadubdub

Except that static stretching has been shown to raise injury rates if done before physical activity. Bad idea. Stretch after your workout.

I just do dynamic movements as a warm-up. Make sure I activate all the muscles - psoas, hams, glutes, quads, traps, delts, etc - and then move onto my workout.

11. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Here's what I do.

A 1 mile run is okay but 2 miles is a bit excessive.

12. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Thats what I do also.

13. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

To warm-up I do hip swings, Bw lunges, and Bw single leg deadlifts. If necessary, I'll do stretches for the hipflexors and/or piriformis as well. In addition I start at very light weights for lower body lifts.

It's more of an aloof roommate.

14. h7jb7sg1e

h7jb7sg1e Blue Belt

I do warm-up set(s) before work sets and joint rotations and dynamic stretching in-between sets. I do cardio afterwards.

15. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

I do walking lunge stretches, X-band walks, hip circles, leg swings, band pull aparts, RDLs bar only and then start with the really light workout stuff. Sometimes I'll thrown in some more hip mobility, ankle mobility and thoracic mobility depending on how I'm feeling.

16. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

Haha. Definitely going to save this gem for personal use.

17. InFunkWeTrust

InFunkWeTrust Banned Banned

I jog a ten minute mile, do some of the dynamic stretches from BJJ class, then Starting Strength. I train at probably the best park district gym on the planet. 16 bucks a month for a 200m indoor track w/ a full weight room adjacent. If i get there at like 6am, it's all seniors and no one is hardly in the weight room.

18. InFunkWeTrust

InFunkWeTrust Banned Banned

What do you do for this? I ask because I tweaked something between my armpit and my chest on the right side. It feels real loose in there, like crunching of the muscles in the lat/chest. I'm worried it's gonna rip right from the bone if I over exert myself.

19. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

Lately I've been doing 5-10 minutes of jump rope and light heavy bag work to get warmed up. This does not replace warmup sets though.

I know people have commented in my log that I'm able to jump through weights without having to do too many warmup sets. I attribute this to the 5-10 minutes of warmup ahead of time. I normally feel good to go after 1-2 warmup sets on each lift and I have no issue ramping up quick.

20. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 Blue Belt

I like foam rolling and doing a lot of light sets of 3.