warm up before competition

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
What's the correct way to warm up before competition? I've noticed some guys do very light warm-ups (lots of stretching and very light exercise). Whilst other warm-ups I've seen, to me resemble a full workout, heh (see Jacare warming up before his super-fight with Robert Drysdale).

Youll need to play around with it but getting your heart rate up to 160 bpm for a couple of minutes will get you ready and really wont use much energy. Just get your pulse for 10 seconds and keep track from there.

^^^Yeah need to get your pulse up

Just warm up as you would for practise more or less. do some slow drills to get into the mood and so that proper escapes are in your short term memory.

you actually open up your blood vessels by warming up thus reducing your heart rate (doesn't have to beat as fast to pump the same amount of blood), you muscles will be stronger, faster and more agile. you start up the sweating which is good for cooling you down and you'd get a little bit more slippery. you get more energy because you start to burn some fat
you gotta get your heartrate up to max when warming up. really excercise your heart and lugns so they will be more prepared. it loosens you and your limbs up aswell. makes yuou more limber so you might try to go for more stuff because you will feel you may get it

Good question.

What about when you're doing a tournament which lasts many hours and you can be called to the mat anytime with 2 mn to prepare ??

Good question.

What about when you're doing a tournament which lasts many hours and you can be called to the mat anytime with 2 mn to prepare ??

I always put on rashguard + sweatpants/shirt

try to walk around, stand up not sit down, help other when warming up staying busy by threading(clinching you know) some reps of armbars/kimuras/sweeps and a couple of throws

I wouldn't do any static stretching before any sort of physical competition. Unless, it's a stretching competition. It's been shown to decrease strength.

Dynamic Stretching Vs. Static Stretching

I'd stick to dynamic stretching drills.

seems like that debate goes in cycles, sometimes the other one is good sometimes the other

do what you feel is best for you. I never stretch much even after practise and never feel sore but I like to do it before

burpee's.

i never lost a match when i properly warmed up

I'll jog a bit and then I'll light and drill for 5 or 10 minutes before my matches if I can. Then I focus on my breathing for a few minutes, slowing it down.

Watching all my competiton stretch and do stupid body weight excercises, while I sit on my ass running a highlight in my head of me whipping all there asses to a soundtrack of TOOl, Disturbed and Metallica.

I really don't do much honestly. Before the competition starts I lightly roll with a teammate, just flowing. Then I stretch.

In the bullpen/waiting area, I'll do some jumping jacks while on deck. The more you compete, the less you worry about these sorts of things.

I never really focused too much on warming up until today. I used a training partner on the warm-up mat to drill/roll until I was sweaty. I basically just rolled at a low percentage with spider guard drills and flowing with that. I ended up getting more sweaty doing that than after each of my matches. It helped a lot.

I'm a big believer in a good hard warm up. I want to be dripping sweat by the time my first match starts. When I've gone in cold it takes me at least 2 mins to feel loose in the match. On the other hand when I already have a good sweat going I'm ready right off the bat.
I always put on a sweatshirt with a hood, sweat pants, socks and shoes between matches and keep stretching to stay warm and loose.

Back