Ward vs Rodriguez is Official

I can't believe more people aren't hyped for this fight. Ward hasn't fought in over a year and Rodriguez is no joke. I think he gives Ward more problems than any of the other elite super middleweights that Ward has faced in the past.

Too many great fights coming that's why it hasn't been talked about.
The closer the fight, the more we'll discuss it.
Rodriguez is not on Ward's level, even with the layoff, should be an easy fight for him.

Too many great fights coming that's why it hasn't been talked about.
The closer the fight, the more we'll discuss it.
Rodriguez is not on Ward's level, even with the layoff, should be an easy fight for him.

Ward will most likely win but I don't think it will be an easy match by any means. I predict there will be many close calls for Ward after such a long layoff while Rodriguez has been active.

Last edited:
ward_rodriguez.jpg

I'm content with the fight, there's really nobody left at 168 that Ward hasn't already beaten already. Rodriguez is a good fighter, he utterly destroyed Grachev who I think might've been a bit of an overachiever, but still it was very impressive nonetheless. He's got a little momentum behind him so that's good, but yeah I see it as another scalp for Ward to collect. Still not a bad name to have on his record when all is said and done, imo.

Ward- 167.8
Rodriguez- 170*

alex johnson ‏@boxingfanatic1

"@MMASupremacy Purses for HBO Boxing card 11/16/13: Ward $1.9 million and Rodriguez $1 million. #boxing"

Obviously does not include locker room bonuses.

anybody know if Rodriguez ended up making that extra weight in the hour or whatever they usually get to try and cut it? Him missing weight has to be a bad sign doesn't it? Maybe an injury or a just a bad cut, might affect his performance tomorrow. Maybe it's not a big deal and he just messed up. I don't really know what to think when guys miss weight other than bad things or just cutting the weight wrong.

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

"Confirmed: @labombaboxing will be docked $200,000 of his $1 million purse and must not weight more than 180 on Saturday."

Well that's unprofessional. I wonder how this will affect the Ward ITD odds.

^ Good point, Jay. Gonna keep my eye on that. +258 on my book atm. I was thinking the Dec line or a pts prop but this is making me think Rodriguez might not be able to make it if he's out of shape or coming in with some kind of injury that hindered the cut.

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

"Confirmed: @labombaboxing will be docked $200,000 of his $1 million purse and must not weight more than 180 on Saturday."

Damn thanks for the info, X. 20% of the purse is normal but still pretty brutal, Ward is gonna win and make another 100k on top of it. He better be hoping Dana gets him one of those $1,000,000 locker room bonuses.

anybody know if Rodriguez ended up making that extra weight in the hour or whatever they usually get to try and cut it? Him missing weight has to be a bad sign doesn't it? Maybe an injury or a just a bad cut, might affect his performance tomorrow. Maybe it's not a big deal and he just messed up. I don't really know what to think when guys miss weight other than bad things or just cutting the weight wrong.

Steve Kim ‏@stevemaxboxing

"I asked Ronnie Shields what happened with Edwin Rodriguez, he said,"He out-grew the weight." #boxing"

Looks like Rodriguez has been consistent coming in over SMW limit for a while.

Steve Kim ‏@stevemaxboxing

"I asked Ronnie Shields what happened with Edwin Rodriguez, he said,"He out-grew the weight." #boxing"

Looks like Rodriguez has been consistent coming in over SMW limit for a while.

gotcha, thanks again for the info man. True, he didn't have to make 168 against Grachev b/c of the catchweight, forgot about that.

@sweetboxing: Andre Ward wants Edwin Rodriguez to forfeit 45% of his purse per WBA rules. He also praised the WBA yesterday for following their rules...

@sweetboxing: As Rodriguez has only agreed to forfeit 20% of his purse per CSAC rules, the fight is now in jeopardy if Ward doesn't let it go...

Back