Ward vs. Gatti trilogy or Vasquez vs. Marquez Quadrilogy?

To me the Ward Gatti trilogy is a special set of fights. One that few can come close to.

Let's be honest, Ward and Gatti are second tier fighters. Marquez and Vasquez fights were contested on a much higher level.

That said, Ward-Gatti fights were still excellent... Top trilogy of all time. It's just straight barbaric brutality.

Both, it's hard to pick one but if I had to I would probably go with Vasquez-Marquez.

Except for the last Marquez-Vasquez fight, i haven't seen a bout from either of these trilogies, i get turned off when it's just two guys brawling back and forth for twelve rounds. I like to see a little more strategy and boxing skills than that.

One thing Ward-Gatti trilogy got going with them is that RAW will and tenacity it exhibited. It has a higher state of relative-stasis for fans because there was a lot of brawling with guys who are not extraordinary fighters. First fight was 10 rounds of caveman give and take fight. These guys stand there and took the punishment. While Marquez and Vasquez took significant damage, the offense that was dealt was much more skillful.

I'd probably take the Vasquez-Marquez quadrilogy (I wish it had stayed a trilogy, though). The skill-level was higher, though the defense in both series is bad.

I'll take Barrera-Morales trilogy over both.

I have to disagree the first fight of barrera- Morales rivals these Two trilogies but the last two not so much.

I would have to take the marquez vs vasquez because of the skill and the drama that went into those fights.

I'll take Barrera-Morales trilogy over both.

I can agree with that. Let's be honest, after the first fight, Gatti got smart and started boxing Ward. The fights weren't even that close afterward.

Marquez-Vasquez fights were damn close though. Fourth fight, which was totally unnecessary, probably downgrade their fight legacy, but the first three... Pretty amazing. Consistent back and fourth, lots of drama, lots of skills, people got hurt and often...

With Barrera-Morales... Those fights were so damn close that you really can say which fighter won the trilogy. The other two you definitely can, Gatti and Vasquez.

In terms of skill Vasquez-Marquez I think was higher than Gatti-Ward.

Morales-Barrera was even better in terms of skill level but the 2nd fight didn't live up to the 1st and 3rd fights where as Vasquez-Marquez the first 3 fights were all exciting with the third being the best.

Gatti-Ward holds a special place in my heart but I understand people going with the quez's

Gatti-ward 2, 3 were entertaining fights, but they weren't really that close. Of course there were few moments similar to that of the first fight, but it's not close. First fight takes the cake, but as a trilogy with overall competitiveness with both fighters, Vasquez-Marquez and Barrera-Morales fights were much better.

Ward-Gatti 1... The fight by itself is arguably better than any of the fights in the respected trilogies.

I am going with the Marquez vs Vasquez.

And I am going to agree with McDuck on the Ward-Gatti. After the first fight Gatti was just way to smart to let himself get drawn into ward fight and just outbox him for the most part.

Also didn't Gatti break his hand in the third fight early and still won the fight by just throwing the jab. I haven't seen the 2-3 fight in awhile cause I don't find them as good as the first.

One more trio I take over both of them is the Holyfield vs Bowe. That is the best trio I ever saw.

I'm a Marquez/Vazquez Trilogy nut-hanger. It combined the blood and guts storyline of Gatti/Ward with the technical brilliance of Barrera/Morales. That third installment was my fight of the decade (yes, even over Castillo/Corrales I).

As far as the fourth fight goes, I'm just happy they both got paid.

That's rough. Castillo/Corrales had some of the best in-fighting evar. That fight is ridiculous.

Back