Ward vs Brand Thread

Nah, fights like this- yet ANOTHER tune up fight for Ward- is why no one gives a shit about him right now. Make no mistake the people most excited about the Ward/Kovalev fight are Kovalev fans who are going to be let down when Ward shuts him down.

Boxing doesn't need multiple Andre Ward showcase fights. It needs Andre Ward against guys who actually have some slim chance at beating him or at the very least being competitive with him.

Part of what makes boxing great is that drama, that "anything can happen" feeling when two top guys fight each other.

Andre Ward getting almost a million dollars for a gimme fight is another reason why its so hard to make big fights today.
And yet we're to believe that Garcia-Berto is anything more than a waste of time.

And yet we're to believe that Garcia-Berto is anything more than a waste of time.
I don't mind that fight as I think its a good stylistic matchup but yeah, its not a fight that fans are going to be excited for.

I don't mind that fight as I think its a good stylistic matchup but yeah, its not a fight that fans are going to be excited for.
The point is, it's the third "tune-up" in a row for Garcia, who hasn't had the long layoffs that Ward had. Ward is signed for Kovalev in November, while we MIGHT get Garcia-Thurman next year, maybe. This dude turned down Pac for what will obviously be Berto.

The point is, it's the third "tune-up" in a row for Garcia, who hasn't had the long layoffs that Ward had. Ward is signed for Kovalev in November, while we MIGHT get Garcia-Thurman next year, maybe. This dude turned down Pac for what will obviously be Berto.
Well, he got sort of a shit offer compared to what Pac would make. Thats what I was saying about everyone getting these huge paydays. Why is Garcia going to fight Pac, a much tougher opponent, for a few hundred thousand more than he'll get to beat Berto, a guy he almost surely will beat?

An undefeated champion isn't going to fight for 10 % of what his opponent is going to make.

Guerrero(vacant title)
Paulie
Lamont

2 of those weren't tune ups, they were good match ups.
And Paulie was a good WW debut.

Well, he got sort of a shit offer compared to what Pac would make. Thats what I was saying about everyone getting these huge paydays. Why is Garcia going to fight Pac, a much tougher opponent, for a few hundred thousand more than he'll get to beat Berto, a guy he almost surely will beat?

An undefeated champion isn't going to fight for 10 % of what his opponent is going to make.
It's more like he got offered double, but oh well.

Guerrero(vacant title)
Paulie
Lamont

2 of those weren't tune ups, they were good match ups.
And Paulie was a good WW debut.
Your joking, right? Paulie was shot completely, Guerrero almost got put to sleep by a guy with no power. Peterson was a good fight, but then you take two guys with nothing left after? Time for Danny to step to the big leagues again.

30k? Man that seems a bit low.
HBO only picked up less than half of what both fighters are making, which is why Ward is stuck fighting Brand in the first place.

UFC wouldve made Ward/Kova fight tomorrow instead of these waste fights
Lol @ this dog shit.

You need to just stay out of this forum.

A few hundred k more? Garcia ain't sniffing anything near 4 mil plus ppv share for Berto. He probably get 1-1.5 mil max. At least be truthful.

I know Ward is shaking off the rust but this is a rod salka level fight for Andre who many think is #1 p4p.

At least Sergei is next after.

I know Ward is shaking off the rust but this is a rod salka level fight for Andre who many think is #1 p4p.

At least Sergei is next after.
Wasn't the first, or even second choice. HBO's budget pretty much ensured Ward would have a crap fight this weekend.

No fucks given. Barrera to Kovalev within 8 months is cool with me.

No fucks given. Barrera to Kovalev within 8 months is cool with me.
This is where these kind of fights can be tolerable. As long as he doesn't get hurt, he will have fought three times in 8 months, which is a good thing. Barrera wasn't a bad fight either, given he was Kovalev's mandatory.

@Seano, just to be clear here on Garcia's money. Here are his last 5 fights.

$1.5 million vs Lucas
$700 thousand vs Salka
$1.5 milion vs Peterson
$1.25 million vs Malignaggi
$1.5 million vs Guerrero

The Herrera purse is not online, but it's safe to say it's around $1 million, based on what we know.

Offering this guy $4 million is not "a few hundred thousand more" than what he has been making. It is almost tripling what he has ever made in his life, and it would change his career from a notoriety standpoint.

He would not be making "10%" of what Pacquiao makes. He'd be making 20% of what Pacquiao makes. That does not even take into account how much extra money he will be worth after a highly publicized fight like that. He has never had that kind of opportunity in his career.

20% and 4 mil is a lowball offer. 10mil is a FAIR offer. anything else is a non-offer and stunt to try and use Danny's name.

GGG would never be expected to take 4mil amd let Saul make 20-30 and set all the demands gor when and where the fight takes place like Pac does when he fights.

20% and 4 mil is a lowball offer. 10mil is a FAIR offer. anything else is a non-offer and stunt to try and use Danny's name.

GGG would never be expected to take 4mil amd let Saul make 20-30 and set all the demands gor when and where the fight takes place like Pac does when he fights.
Use a guy's name who has never headlined a ppv? Doh okay

Where do these people come from?

Danny Garcia is the one that announced he received an offer and turned it down. Top Rank had nothing to do with it, and Manny Pacquiao has never said the words "Danny Garcia" as far as I know.

Pacquiao offered Garcia a better deal than Canelo offered GGG, if you look at the percentage.

That is especially noteworthy when you consider the fact that GGG is more popular than Danny Garcia, and Manny Pacquiao is more popular than Canelo. So, I'm not sure what logic you're basing the comparison on.

Back