Ward or Gatti vs Provodnikov

Gatti couldn't beat someone who could box like that. I think the De La Hoya fight was more competitive than people recall for a few rounds though.

Went back and rewatched this. The first round was pretty competitive, for sure. Gatti landed a nice left hook off Oscars forehead and even seemed to hurt him with an uppercut. Then Oscar dropped him. From then on it was all Oscar landing sickening body shots and really beating Gatti down. Gotta love Thunder's heart though.

Went back and rewatched this. The first round was pretty competitive, for sure. Gatti landed a nice left hook off Oscars forehead and even seemed to hurt him with an uppercut. Then Oscar dropped him. From then on it was all Oscar landing sickening body shots and really beating Gatti down. Gotta love Thunder's heart though.

Oh, Gatti was never winning. I suppose competitive was the wrong word. He landed some bombs on Oscar. I think he even rocked him once or twice.

Oscar did one if those Ring Magazine "Best I've Ever Faced" things and rated Gatti as the Best Puncher he'd faced. Said his punches were heavier than Quartey's.

Oscar did one if those Ring Magazine "Best I've Ever Faced" things and rated Gatti as the Best Puncher he'd faced. Said his punches were heavier than Quartey's.

Thats one of those fights I hadn't watched in years that I recently watched again. I actually made the Max Kellerman "OOH!" sound once when Gatti landed that hook.

I've been watching a lot of fights from around that time lately. Underrated period in boxing.

Reminded me how horrible George Foreman was on the mic too.....

LOL Ok so here we go again someone else discounting a victory cause of what YOU think Gatti's condition was when he fought Floyd.

Gatti, A 33yr old current WBC Light WW Champion with a 39-6 record with 30 KOs and coming off of a 4 fight title defense win streak is considered old and shopworn...OK.

Yeah, a 33 year old fighter who won a vacant belt by scraping past (browsing boxrec won't give you the full picture of how close and competitive the fight was - you'd actually have to watch the fight to get that) against a European level fighter.

Gatti may have held a belt, but he was nowhere near being among the very best in that division. Bit embarrassing that Mayweather cultists would be so eager to glorify such a victory.

any version of Chavez > Alvarado. I think you read his record on boxrec and are trying to sell it as though you've seen it.

Repeating something over and over doesn't make it any less retarded of a notion, and it just makes you look like an absolute dunce. I'm not like you, I actually watch boxing matches. I've actually seen Chavez get slapped around and completely dominated by a poor, feather-fisted journeyman in Willy Wise - you quite clearly haven't.

I honestly have no idea where you came up with the Hernandez > Maidana thing. I can't make heads or tails out of what that is supposed to mean.

Why does it not surprise me that you're incapable of grasping your own logic?

You call Gatti a paper champion, nothing like the great Provodnikov right? Its not like Provodnikov was gifted a title fighting a guy who had never fought at 140 pounds or anything right? Oh yeah, it was exactly that. Difference being that Gatti actually defended his title against guys ranked at the weight. So in your own example, Provodnikov falls short compared to Gatti. Self ownage.

You want to rephrase that, spaz? Think you'll find that Alvarado has spent all of his career competing at 140 and 147, and was actually ranked in the top ten (probably five after he beat Rios.) Nobody but the WBC considered Branco to be a top ten junior-welterweight.

Self ownage, he says. :icon_lol:

Yeah, a 33 year old fighter who won a vacant belt by scraping past (browsing boxrec won't give you the full picture of how close and competitive the fight was - you'd actually have to watch the fight to get that) against a European level fighter.

Gatti may have held a belt, but he was nowhere near being among the very best in that division. Bit embarrassing that Mayweather cultists would be so eager to glorify such a victory.
the very best of the division was Mayweather, Tszyu and Hatton. Gatti fit right in with the rest of the fighters at 140.

You're getting nowhere with this. The posters on this forum know I'm no boxrec jockey like you are. You're convincing yourself, no one else.

Repeating something over and over doesn't make it any less retarded of a notion, and it just makes you look like an absolute dunce. I'm not like you, I actually watch boxing matches. I've actually seen Chavez get slapped around and completely dominated by a poor, feather-fisted journeyman in Willy Wise - you quite clearly haven't.

I really don't care if you watch boxing. We all do. Everyone in this forum.

Why does it not surprise me that you're incapable of grasping your own logic?

Its not my logic. What you're saying makes absolutely no sense. You said I must think Freddy Hernandez >>>> Maidana. I honestly have no idea what that means and your reluctance to explain it makes me think you don't either.

You want to rephrase that, spaz? Think you'll find that Alvarado has spent all of his career competing at 140 and 147, and was actually ranked in the top ten (probably five after he beat Rios.) Nobody but the WBC considered Branco to be a top ten junior-welterweight.

Self ownage, he says. :icon_lol:

Mike Alvarado got his shot coming off of a loss and a win over a guy who had never fought at 140 pounds and looked terrible in his previous fight at 135. Provodnikov also got a title fight for losing. But hey, only the WBC ranked Branco for the WBC title he fought for right?

And as for Branco, he was ranked by the WBC which is why he fought for the WBC title. Duh. The WBC was always the more "world wide" organization and they recognized Branco because he was a titlist in europe.

Explain why Rios was fighting for a title at 140.

Difference between Gatti and Alvarado is that Gatti was actually able to defend his title against some decent names at the weight. Alvarado folded like a suit when he fought Provodnikov.

Your problem is that you come up with what you think are "a ha!" arguments but you're not bright enough to see that they apply doubly to what you're saying about your side of the argument before you post it.

Thats one of those fights I hadn't watched in years that I recently watched again. I actually made the Max Kellerman "OOH!" sound once when Gatti landed that hook.

I've been watching a lot of fights from around that time lately. Underrated period in boxing.

Reminded me how horrible George Foreman was on the mic too.....

They to me are the last of a great age. NFL didnt become too popular till the early-mid 70s. So during the childhood of people from Gatti's time, boxing was still very prominent, and the talent pool was still going strong.

5-10 years later, a little after when Floyd's generation started, more and more kids go into football so young, it really hurt boxing's talent pool. In America anyways.

In my opinion lol

10-8 for Seano. Thought the ref was going to end it.

the very best of the division was Mayweather, Tszyu and Hatton. Gatti fit right in with the rest of the fighters at 140.

No, he fit nowhere near in there. Tszyu, Hatton and Cotto all would have beaten the sh*t out of him.

You're getting nowhere with this. The posters on this forum know I'm no boxrec jockey like you are. You're convincing yourself, no one else.

But you quite clearly are a boxrec ranger/jockey - not sure why you'd even dispute this.

Its not my logic. What you're saying makes absolutely no sense. You said I must think Freddy Hernandez >>>> Maidana. I honestly have no idea what that means and your reluctance to explain it makes me think you don't either.

Evidently you must, otherwise you'd never have bothered making such comparisons in the first place.

Mike Alvarado got his shot coming off of a loss and a win over a guy who had never fought at 140 pounds and looked terrible in his previous fight at 135. Provodnikov also got a title fight for losing. But hey, only the WBC ranked Branco for the WBC title he fought for right?

And as for Branco, he was ranked by the WBC which is why he fought for the WBC title. Duh. The WBC was always the more "world wide" organization and they recognized Branco because he was a titlist in europe.

You said Alvarado had never even fought at the weight, Spazo.

Alphabet org rankings can be manipulated and never, ever reflect the actual consensus world rankings, which is why a lot of sh*tty mandatory fights get made - shocking news! Branco was never anything close to being world class in his entire career, and yet Gatti still struggled badly with him.

Difference between Gatti and Alvarado is that Gatti was actually able to defend his title against some decent names at the weight. Alvarado folded like a suit when he fought Provodnikov.

Yeah, an outgunned, undersized Dorin and a shot-to-shit Jesse James Leija.

Your problem is that you come up with what you think are "a ha!" arguments but you're not bright enough to see that they apply doubly to what you're saying about your side of the argument before you post it.

Your problem is that you tend to ramble incoherently when you're all flustered, which leads to nonsensical jibber-jabber like the above.

Last edited:
We finished this a few days ago. No one agrees with you.

There is no way to defend Provodnikov being better than Gatti in any way. This shitty troll argument got old.

I don't seek approval from other newbs like you do, Spazo - nor do I spend virtually be very single minute of every day lurking on these boards like some basement-dwelling, socially-inept loser.

There was never any argument here, just you exposing how much of a clueless dolt you are.

I don't seek approval from other newbs like you do, Spazo - nor do I spend virtually be very single minute of every day lurking on these boards like some basement-dwelling, socially-inept loser.

There was never any argument here, just you exposing how much of a clueless dolt you are.

I really don't care if you want my approval or not. Your argument is total garbage and you're using it to argue against my opinion, so if it sucks I'll say it sucks. And it does.It sucks.

Provodnikov has one significant win against Mike Alvarado.

you're literally saying that beating Mike Alvarado > Gatti's entire career.

When you lay it out like that, you're either trolling or mentally retarded. Its not an argument worth having.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying - my whole line of argument revolves around it. :rolleyes:

"Any version of Chavez - even the decrepit, drug addicted washout that was getting his arse handed to him by the likes of Willy Wise - beats Provodnikov." - your opinions on anything related to this sport are utterly invalid and worthless.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying - my whole line of argument revolves around it. :rolleyes:

Pretty much. You keep saying how Provodnikov does this to Gatti and does that to Ward. Provodnikov's biggest win is Mike Alvarado. So you must be basing it on that performance. Either that or his loss to Bradley.

Back