Ward is The Best ATG P4Per We Seen In the Last 20yrs

Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Ward should be rank higher than Floyd and Manny and yet no one talks about him. It's sad. People make thread on debating Floyd and Manny ATG status all the time but forget about what ward did in his career. He beat everyone in weight class and then beat the LHW Champ Chad in a Super Fight and them moved up and beat the shit out of Kova who was the current LHW Champion.

look at ward resume. Kessler,froch,Dawson,kova. That is a murders row right there. Pay your respect to one of the best you ever seen.

I think he is better Boxer technically than Floyd. Better to watch tape on ward thang Floyd. Ward vs Green has some of the best inside fighting you could see.

He's clearly behind Pac and Floyd. Depending on how your 20 year criteria works, he's also behind Hopkins, Jones Jr., and probably Marquez. Still easily and ATG, though.

I think hes better than both of them also. Unpopular opinion though.

He's clearly behind Pac and Floyd. Depending on how your 20 year criteria works, he's also behind Hopkins, Jones Jr., and probably Marquez. Still easily and ATG, though.

Behind them? Why? The division jumping is ok but not enough to just give them the edge IMO.

Hop had to many loses at the end and being an Old Champion is great and its own achievememt, it not enough to keep him at the top

jMM had to many loses to be in the top 5.

Last 20yrs.

Ward
Floyd
Manny
John
Hopkins

Saul is making a run right now.

John is another forgotten great from this era.

Last edited:
Behind them? Why? The division jumping is ok but not enough to just give them the edge IMO.

Hop many listing at the end and took himself off the list and being an Old Champion is great and its own achievememt, it not enough to keep him near the top.

jMM had to many loses to be in the top 5.

Last 20yrs.

Ward
Floyd
Manny
John
Hopkins

Saul is making a run right now.

Did you just list Chris John ahead of Hopkins? Does Vetyeka crack the top 10?

I think hes better than both of them also. Unpopular opinion though.

I'm a fan of Ward, but I really struggle to see this. Smarter fighter, I can see. Perhaps even more versatile, but in a pound for pound sense, I think Pac and Mayweather are appreciably more talented, let alone the fact that their resumes are clearly better.

Ward did great but he quit too early to be ahead of guys with much longer careers in my opinion.

I'm a fan of Ward, but I really struggle to see this. Smarter fighter, I can see. Perhaps even more versatile, but in a pound for pound sense, I think Pac and Mayweather are appreciably more talented, let alone the fact that their resumes are clearly better.
I simply think Ward is a better fighter than both of them.

He's certainly the only fighter in the last 20 years with the potential to surpass Floyd's and Manny's legacies but too much inactivity and an early retirement prevented that. If he came back right now and cleaned up the LHW division, you'd have a point.

Talent-wise though, he's on the same level as Floyd and ahead of Pac. Ward vs Roy Jones Jr. is actually on top of my fantasy fight list, the #2 fight being Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard. I think Ward would beat Joe Calzaghe easily.

Ward is possibly the most overated fighter ever, yeah, he did a LOT at Super MIddle, and then moved up and beat a champion who was already being accused of ducking other champions....

P4P????

2 weight classes.....really?

He's not a p4p type fighter.

One of the best ever in sort of an obscure division....not even close to a guy like RJJ

He's not a p4p type fighter.

One of the best ever in sort of an obscure division....not even close to a guy like RJJ

How is super middleweight obscure?

He certainly put a lot of people to sleep, that's for sure.

All things considered, he ranks below Rigo in all-time rankings. When you consider what Rigo did as an amateur and as a pro.

Rigo entered the pros at 28. He was basically fighting past his prime for the last 10 years, yet has still managed to become a world champion and boasts a record of 19-1. The one loss being to a much younger and larger opponent.

How is super middleweight obscure?
Because Svenn Ottke is statistically a top 3 fighter in that history. And it's barely older than my dad.

Not exactly talking welterweight here

Had Ward not retired in his Prime maybe he Becomes that but at current standing g hes no where near Floyd or even Pacman.

All things considered, he ranks below Rigo in all-time rankings. When you consider what Rigo did as an amateur and as a pro.

Rigo entered the pros at 28. He was basically fighting past his prime for the last 10 years, yet has still managed to become a world champion and boasts a record of 19-1. The one loss being to a much younger and larger opponent.
You truly have lost your mind.

If you're going to go after Ward for not being a high action, highlight-producing fighter, Rigo is an odd guy to bring up right after (and I say this as a guy who remains a big Rigo fan).

We’re considering Ammies????

He doesn’t have the resume of Floyd or manny.

We’re considering Ammies????

He doesn’t have the resume of Floyd or manny.

When it suits a very particular and somewhat bizarre argument, yes.

Back