Social War Room V241: HockeyBjj can't name this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherfucker this is a long ass post lmao.
Having a good awareness of one's limitations is important. I think Ben Shapiro is legitimately intelligent but the problem is he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, hence why I find him insufferable and why he embarrasses himself from time to time.
He got his start defending the Iraq War and bragging about his virginity lmao. I agree with everything you say. He's intelligent but yeah he's insufferably self important and imo has an extreme form of autism. His voice is insufferable to me and his debate tactics are horrid. I'd actually say Gavin was once a far better debater than Shapiro. I know I constantly go back to dear Brooks and what we've lost, but he's spot on here and I miss his laugh.

He has several videos where he breaks down Shapiro and his flaws incredibly so. I've recommended his book to you Against The Web: A Cosmopolitan Answer To The New Right. but it's incredible stuff.

Also I was thinking of you, I picked up a book at Goodwill that's on the backlog unfortunately for awhile, I've got about ten books ahead of it to read but I'm pretty excited to get around to it.
51tEVCXxdiL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a novel written from the perspective of a Shi'ite militiaman after the execution of Saddam. A review of it.
“Mr. Makiya loves Iraq—or the idea of what a new Iraq could be—and his rage and despair at the brutality that has seized his country comes through on every page….Mr. Makiya’s writing is sublime when his subject is the slide from decency to evil. His depiction of the descent into barbarism of Haider, one of the central character’s closest friends, is as good a portrait as we are likely to get of Iraq’s post-Saddam savagery….The book is an indispensable guide into the ‘warehouses of cruelty’ of the modern Middle East and gives us a better idea of why Iraq failed after being liberated from a tyrant, and why Sunnis and Shiites now so eagerly kill each other.” Reuel Marc Gerecht, Wall Street Journal

The author might interest you. Dude is legit.
KANAN MAKIYA was born in Baghdad. He is the author of several books, including the best-selling Republic of Fear, The Monument, The Rock, and the award-winning Cruelty and Silence. He is the Sylvia K. Hassenfeld Professor of Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at Brandeis University. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Think you'd dig it. I went ham at Goodwill the other day, they tend to have markdowns where paperbacks are 25 cents and hardcovers are a dollar, stopped by Barned and Noble to pick up a few books but this was my haul.
161068035_731657814214885_3930409525230586439_n.jpg

Two copies of Flags of Our Fathers so I can gift it to someone else. I usually keep books on me to gift strangers I meet that have an impact on me. Back when I wasn't fucking poor I always had about ten copies of The Conquest of Bread to hand out.

{<redford}John Stewart is another person who is intelligent and compassionate when it comes to things he believes. Been a fan of his for year's now.
I adore him, that Crossfire takedown was amazing, and he truly is an amazing person. You ever see this? The first show he did after 9/11
https://www.cc.com/video/1q93jy/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-september-11-2001

Also when he went off on a NYT reporter that helped facilitate the invasion of the Iraq War.

Speaking of the Iraq War, this memory popped up today. @Sketch I remember how you and I compared notes on what shitheads we were in school, I think I was in Mid-High when I wore a shirt that said "3,000 dead and many more, anyone but Bush in '04" and caused a stir lmao. I also refused to stand for the pledge of allegiance or national anthem and the Principal and VP stood behind me all pissy every time. My literal favorite thing (and I care deeply about this guidance counsellor. She's why I'm here still) was when we had to go through this big assembly about abstinence (one of the biggest things Obama did was reject the idea of abstinence only education and hella reduced teenage pregnancies) Where this douchebro with a goatee kept talking about how he wasn't a virgin when he got married, and showed us a bunch of his cars for some reason.

I was being a little shit (and I already lost my virginity and the weekend before got to know the bedroom of a cradle raiding, chunky Hot Topic manager) and I asked him "If you weren't a virgin, why should we listen to you" and he got all pissy, then he came around again and asked about the "cool guy on my shirt" and I said "Sid Vicious" and he said "Oh what did he do" and I told him, in front of a fuck ton of students.... "A lot of heroin and stabbed his girlfriend to death" and got immediately sent to the counselors office, and my darling counselor told me she was proud of me and snuck me off to let me smoke a cigarette.

Yeah, people are obviously itching to go out again and with the vaccines and the numbers finally going down, they're jumping the gun.

I've started to go out a bit as well but damn, New Orleans and Bourbon is almost the last frontier for this sort of stuff.
Well remember how bad we were hit during the outbreak, we were FUCKED when this started, and by ther way New Orleans was the jewel of the South in how we drastically dropped infection rates and deaths. So as much as we wish things were back to the old days and we were all at a crawfish boil we understand the implications of a big outbreak. Tourists don't give a fuck, they're horrible tippers, they're rude to locals, and quite frankly some of the dumbest fucking people I've ever met.

I did infuriate an Israeli couple on vacation over the settlements and I'm hella proud of it.

Man I love Nawlins, but give me a place like Bacchanal all day. Don’t get me wrong I also enjoy like The Spotted Cat or whatever, but there are plenty of amazing chill spots away from the idiot tourists.
I put this story in a spoiler because it's super long... but Bacchanal is amazing, and yeah the Spotted Cat is fucking baller. The door guy was a big fan of mine so I always got to skip the line... This story is long and shameful... but trust me... it's worth a read.
So.. story about Bacchanal (amazing place by the way, I used to perform right next to there, I have to hurry up this long ass post so explain to everyone what makes it badass)... When I was on tour here five years ago I went there because I was doing a show up the street. The most aggressive woman I've ever met in my life worked there, super tall, straight bangs and met her while she was standing outside swaying holding an entire bottle of wine. She comes out with me and my friends, we hit Lower Decatur, stopping by every bar we can and she's buying me tons of drinks and forcing cocaine up my nose.

We're drinking Absinthe somewhere and I ask what we're doing next and she says "I'm about to find out about your dick" and I'm drunk and keyed up on tour. She orders an uber, and when I'm getting in the car I mouth at my friends "HELP" and they laugh and still bring up how I put my hands on the window and looked back like I was kidnapped. When we were nearing our destination the Uber driver literally says "good luck". We get dropped off at Hanks (two pieces of dark meat fried chicken for a dollar baby) and I order something, which she says "No, he wants a fried fish po boy" Which was pretty good.

It... it gets so.. so much worse. She drags me upstairs as I frantically eat the po boy out of fear. Gorgeous place too, New Orleans houses are amazing. I help her out of her Spanx and she is COVERED in hair. Armpits and legs look like a brillo pad (I'll never understand wearing Spanx but refusing to shave. I put my fingers in the hairy scary cavern and... it.. it feels weird. My fingers keep hitting something hard.. Never felt a broken cunt before so I'm trying to work around it... eventually I realize... there's something in there.. So I pull it out and it makes a loud POP. It was a.. it was an empty Diva cup that she forgot about and without a care in the world told me to put it on the dresser. "I forgot about it"

I try to enter her but the hair from her toes tickles my ear and I go softer than rabbits fur. She gets mad and yells at me, so I panic. I'm drunk and keyed up, I do cocaine in comedian amounts, which means five people stretch a half gram, she shoveled a gram in my nose like coal in a train furnace. I panic, dick as soft as freshy washed fabric softened sheets. I tell her I'm gay. Seems the easiest way out, she says "That explains why you were wearing a lavender suit, don't worry I have a strap on"

To this day, Bacchanal gives me flash backs to the worst "date" of my life.

Good. I've done may share or restaurant work as a young musician with dreams and I have an acute antipathy for people who are rude to workers. I'd love to see something like a line cook come out of the kitchen and beat the piss out of some aggressive asshole.

I've just never figured how some people think they can treat service workers as less human, it's sick really.
People who are rude to people working in customer service are truly bottom of the barrel scum. I worked in the culinary industry for almost fifteen years and went to culinary school, I've never once worked front of house because I'll pop off. For real though, your sentiment is very real. I'm friends with a cook at a local bar on Death Row and he actually confronted the people who were complaining about not being served because they wouldn't wear a mask or show ID I referenced earlier. I was standing there thinking "Oh.. we jumping?" Also NOPD won't arrest locals in an instance like that, I'll post a funny stand up video about it at the end of this. I started mouthing off real bad when they said "We're on vacation, we don't want to have to deal with that shit". It's. fucking. Infuriating. To hear that. After we didn't get anything, we didn't get Voodoo Fest or Mardi Gras or St Pats parades and I haven't been to a jazz club in over a fucking year.

Funny thing about that bar.. The bartender is terrifying, I've seen her grab a massive double sided dildo they keep behind the bar and slam it on the bar to get respect and my cook homie? A bunch of hammered drunk teenagers talked about jumping him and he pulled a knife out so fast that they ran for like two blocks lmao.

This shit is accurate and about my beautiful neighborhood.

Okay, sorry for the long ass posts. I've been working on that book all fucking day and when homie brought up Bacchanal I had flashbacks to... that woman.

Motherfucker this is a long ass post lmao.

He got his start defending the Iraq War and bragging about his virginity lmao. I agree with everything you say. He's intelligent but yeah he's insufferably self important and imo has an extreme form of autism. His voice is insufferable to me and his debate tactics are horrid. I'd actually say Gavin was once a far better debater than Shapiro. I know I constantly go back to dear Brooks and what we've lost, but he's spot on here and I miss his laugh.

He has several videos where he breaks down Shapiro and his flaws incredibly so. I've recommended his book to you Against The Web: A Cosmopolitan Answer To The New Right. but it's incredible stuff.

Also I was thinking of you, I picked up a book at Goodwill that's on the backlog unfortunately for awhile, I've got about ten books ahead of it to read but I'm pretty excited to get around to it.
51tEVCXxdiL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a novel written from the perspective of a Shi'ite militiaman after the execution of Saddam. A review of it.

The author might interest you. Dude is legit.

Think you'd dig it. I went ham at Goodwill the other day, they tend to have markdowns where paperbacks are 25 cents and hardcovers are a dollar, stopped by Barned and Noble to pick up a few books but this was my haul.
161068035_731657814214885_3930409525230586439_n.jpg

Two copies of Flags of Our Fathers so I can gift it to someone else. I usually keep books on me to gift strangers I meet that have an impact on me. Back when I wasn't fucking poor I always had about ten copies of The Conquest of Bread to hand out.

I adore him, that Crossfire takedown was amazing, and he truly is an amazing person. You ever see this? The first show he did after 9/11
https://www.cc.com/video/1q93jy/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-september-11-2001

Also when he went off on a NYT reporter that helped facilitate the invasion of the Iraq War.

Speaking of the Iraq War, this memory popped up today. @Sketch I remember how you and I compared notes on what shitheads we were in school, I think I was in Mid-High when I wore a shirt that said "3,000 dead and many more, anyone but Bush in '04" and caused a stir lmao. I also refused to stand for the pledge of allegiance or national anthem and the Principal and VP stood behind me all pissy every time. My literal favorite thing (and I care deeply about this guidance counsellor. She's why I'm here still) was when we had to go through this big assembly about abstinence (one of the biggest things Obama did was reject the idea of abstinence only education and hella reduced teenage pregnancies) Where this douchebro with a goatee kept talking about how he wasn't a virgin when he got married, and showed us a bunch of his cars for some reason.

I was being a little shit (and I already lost my virginity and the weekend before got to know the bedroom of a cradle raiding, chunky Hot Topic manager) and I asked him "If you weren't a virgin, why should we listen to you" and he got all pissy, then he came around again and asked about the "cool guy on my shirt" and I said "Sid Vicious" and he said "Oh what did he do" and I told him, in front of a fuck ton of students.... "A lot of heroin and stabbed his girlfriend to death" and got immediately sent to the counselors office, and my darling counselor told me she was proud of me and snuck me off to let me smoke a cigarette.

Well remember how bad we were hit during the outbreak, we were FUCKED when this started, and by ther way New Orleans was the jewel of the South in how we drastically dropped infection rates and deaths. So as much as we wish things were back to the old days and we were all at a crawfish boil we understand the implications of a big outbreak. Tourists don't give a fuck, they're horrible tippers, they're rude to locals, and quite frankly some of the dumbest fucking people I've ever met.

I did infuriate an Israeli couple on vacation over the settlements and I'm hella proud of it.

I put this story in a spoiler because it's super long... but Bacchanal is amazing, and yeah the Spotted Cat is fucking baller. The door guy was a big fan of mine so I always got to skip the line... This story is long and shameful... but trust me... it's worth a read.
So.. story about Bacchanal (amazing place by the way, I used to perform right next to there, I have to hurry up this long ass post so explain to everyone what makes it badass)... When I was on tour here five years ago I went there because I was doing a show up the street. The most aggressive woman I've ever met in my life worked there, super tall, straight bangs and met her while she was standing outside swaying holding an entire bottle of wine. She comes out with me and my friends, we hit Lower Decatur, stopping by every bar we can and she's buying me tons of drinks and forcing cocaine up my nose.

We're drinking Absinthe somewhere and I ask what we're doing next and she says "I'm about to find out about your dick" and I'm drunk and keyed up on tour. She orders an uber, and when I'm getting in the car I mouth at my friends "HELP" and they laugh and still bring up how I put my hands on the window and looked back like I was kidnapped. When we were nearing our destination the Uber driver literally says "good luck". We get dropped off at Hanks (two pieces of dark meat fried chicken for a dollar baby) and I order something, which she says "No, he wants a fried fish po boy" Which was pretty good.

It... it gets so.. so much worse. She drags me upstairs as I frantically eat the po boy out of fear. Gorgeous place too, New Orleans houses are amazing. I help her out of her Spanx and she is COVERED in hair. Armpits and legs look like a brillo pad (I'll never understand wearing Spanx but refusing to shave. I put my fingers in the hairy scary cavern and... it.. it feels weird. My fingers keep hitting something hard.. Never felt a broken cunt before so I'm trying to work around it... eventually I realize... there's something in there.. So I pull it out and it makes a loud POP. It was a.. it was an empty Diva cup that she forgot about and without a care in the world told me to put it on the dresser. "I forgot about it"

I try to enter her but the hair from her toes tickles my ear and I go softer than rabbits fur. She gets mad and yells at me, so I panic. I'm drunk and keyed up, I do cocaine in comedian amounts, which means five people stretch a half gram, she shoveled a gram in my nose like coal in a train furnace. I panic, dick as soft as freshy washed fabric softened sheets. I tell her I'm gay. Seems the easiest way out, she says "That explains why you were wearing a lavender suit, don't worry I have a strap on"

To this day, Bacchanal gives me flash backs to the worst "date" of my life.

People who are rude to people working in customer service are truly bottom of the barrel scum. I worked in the culinary industry for almost fifteen years and went to culinary school, I've never once worked front of house because I'll pop off. For real though, your sentiment is very real. I'm friends with a cook at a local bar on Death Row and he actually confronted the people who were complaining about not being served because they wouldn't wear a mask or show ID I referenced earlier. I was standing there thinking "Oh.. we jumping?" Also NOPD won't arrest locals in an instance like that, I'll post a funny stand up video about it at the end of this. I started mouthing off real bad when they said "We're on vacation, we don't want to have to deal with that shit". It's. fucking. Infuriating. To hear that. After we didn't get anything, we didn't get Voodoo Fest or Mardi Gras or St Pats parades and I haven't been to a jazz club in over a fucking year.

Funny thing about that bar.. The bartender is terrifying, I've seen her grab a massive double sided dildo they keep behind the bar and slam it on the bar to get respect and my cook homie? A bunch of hammered drunk teenagers talked about jumping him and he pulled a knife out so fast that they ran for like two blocks lmao.

This shit is accurate and about my beautiful neighborhood.

Okay, sorry for the long ass posts. I've been working on that book all fucking day and when homie brought up Bacchanal I had flashbacks to... that woman.

Yeah I have seen those. Nothing against Trevor Noah but John is on different level with charm and intelligence. Him and Bill O Riley dispute's where so good that he would make Bill look like a dumbass which Bill is. Have you read any of his books before?

I don't subscribe to the idea all politicians are corrupt.

I believe the vast majority in national politicians make false promises in order to gain their positions. If you don't then I'm more inclined to think you naïve than my assessment of high-office-holders inaccurate. But maybe you know something that most of the rest of us don't.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2F20190111_Trusted_Professions.jpg

Easy fucking layups

Bet on UCLA.

Perimeter defense has been stellar in just about all the games I've seen so far.

So a personable guy with ethics for the win. Like Joe Rogan or The Rock?

Ethics don't mean much when the person is stupid. Sincerely but falsely believing an action is pure is less preferable than understanding the good and bad before making a weighted decision.

I don't subscribe to the idea all politicians are corrupt. Those other offices are the closest experience you could tie to being prepared for the role so they would generally be where you'd want to look.
I don’t think politics is any more corrupting than the private sector or any other government job.

And is anybody else watching these fights? The Dawson v. Santos fight was a good one with two talented guys buried early in the card.

Ethics don't mean much when the person is stupid. Sincerely but falsely believing an action is pure is less preferable than understanding the good and bad before making a weighted decision.

Are you implying one of those two is stupid?

I believe the vast majority in national politicians make false promises in order to gain their positions. If you don't then I'm more inclined to think you naïve than my assessment of high-office-holders inaccurate. But maybe you know something that most of the rest of us don't.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F01%2F20190111_Trusted_Professions.jpg
<Bottle.gif>

Politicians often promise things that aren't in their complete control to change. If the corruption you are talking about is simply failing on campaign promises, I think you moved the goal post a bit but corruption can be a broad term.

Also, that poll is what the population perceives of each profession, not necessarily it's true or not. The funny thing is the member of congress poll frequently gets referenced but individual reps score pretty well with those polled. Kinda plays into the campaign promises point. Voters send someone they are optimistic can make real change but there's a lot that goes into it that might be beyond their capacity, especially in Congress and that can then lead to frustration with Washington as a whole.

Politicians often promise things that aren't in their complete control to change. If the corruption you are talking about is simply failing on campaign promises, I think you moved the goal post a bit but corruption can be a broad term.

Also, that poll is what the population perceives of each profession, not necessarily it's true or not. The funny thing is the member of congress poll frequently gets referenced but individual reps score pretty well with those polled. Kinda plays into the campaign promises point. Voters send someone they are optimistic can make real change but there's a lot that goes into it that might be beyond their capacity, especially in Congress and that can then lead to frustration with Washington as a whole.

Ever seen the movie Goodfellas? That's politics

Bet on UCLA.

Perimeter defense has been stellar in just about all the games I've seen so far.

I'll see what's up next round. Got 550 on UT ‐7

Rogan definitely is. I presume the Rock isn't sufficiently intelligent for the job either.
It is actually pretty amazing to me how well liked The Rock is in this day and age of people hating seemingly everything. Pretty sure that is a dude hiding some dark dark shit behind those blinding white teeth.

They lie to get hired. They'll tell people what they think they want to hear to get positions of power. Use whatever term you like. I think the process punishes honesty, so people not willing to lie about their views and intentions don't advance in it very well.

Didn't you advocate the importance of collective wisdom just a bit ago? Now when the collective disagrees with you it's not necessarily true? The discrepancy in the polls makes sense when you factor in wishful thinking and tribalism vs. results. But hey, we have a difference of opinion then, no worries. In my view the POTUS is a decision-maker, not an architect. The support systems involved, in my view, make ethics more of a key to the success I'd like to see than being an expert on law, medicine, military strategy, diplomacy, foreign cultures, and the myriad of other areas the job touches.

It is actually pretty amazing to me how well liked The Rock is in this day and age of people hating seemingly everything. Pretty sure that is a dude hiding some dark dark shit behind those blinding white teeth.

Maybe. I remember reading a biography about him when I was a kid (like 1999, before the height of his fame). It documented his fiery temper. IIRC, he chase an opponent's mascot with an ax or some crazy shit.

Maybe. I remember reading a biography about him when I was a kid (like 1999, before the height of his fame). It documented his fiery temper. IIRC, he chase an opponent's mascot with an ax or some crazy shit.
But that was as a kid. That is the whole reason he has his new show about being young. It gets his negatives from when he was young out there in a funny digestible way.

I doubt very seriously Rock has any political knowledge, but he is excellent at cultivating an image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back