War Room Lounge v98: “Yes I’m a gangster and I committed that crime.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
98% of the time, when somebody says: "The thing is..."

It's not the thing.

The thing is, 62.54% of statistics are made up on the spot with no backing.

For instance, 75% of men like cucumbers better pickled.

That's real, by the way.

This isn't undercutting anything he said..

But the guy's last name is "reich"

Is the 4th one coming?

I’m completely immune to anything joker related. Bit boring character imo
Joker bores me. Nicholson was entertaining in his film as was Ledger but the character as a whole... I just don't get it.

In Batman's pantheon of villains...

- Bane, far more intelligent, broke Batman's back and presents a very real danger to everyone
- Two Face with his twisted morality by luck shit
- Mr. Freeze you can almost empathize with cause he's doing everything to save his wife

Joker though..... he just likes anarchy. The line from the Ledger version where he's like "I'm just a dog chasing cars, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WOULD DO IF I CAUGHT ONE!" is the perfect way to describe him.

I also get pissed at how romanticized the Joker/Harley Quinn relationship has become in recent years. THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS THAT OF AN ABUSIVE PARTNER MENTALLY BREAKING THE OTHER PARTNER AND TWISTING THEM TO THEIR WILL! HOW IS THIS DESIRABLE AT ALL?!

Frankly, in DC they have more interesting villains than heroes to me.

Shounen (meanly weekly release) manga from Japan like One Piece have far FAR deeper/more interesting heroes in them

This one fell off REAL bad after awhile but the dude the video is about started as an enemy and became one of the better heroes in the series:

Last edited:

This isn't undercutting anything he said..

But the guy's last name is "reich"

Is the 4th one coming?

Robert Reich is a national treasure.

I really wish he'd sought public office. He's basically everything Elizabeth Warren is supposed to be: an exceptionally bright and wonky progressive liberal. Not particularly internationalist or ideological, but just stupendous on domestic policy. And he's a very charming guy and a great communicator.

It actually bothers me quite a lot how many people who would be great in public office instead pursue or remain in positions on its periphery. I'd also like to see a lot more journalists ford the river into politics, but there are ethical and professional barriers to that.

It actually bothers me quite a lot how many people who would be great in public office instead pursue or remain in positions on its periphery
Cause this quote is very very real:

@tonni @Trotsky

The more I think about the character the more I hate the character. The character has been around since fucking 1940 and has had like... NO character development.

Even the dude in my av who is pretty straight forward has had character development in is time between comic book pages.

EDIT:
MAX in Fury Road has more character development in 2.5 hours than Joker has had in near 80 years.

Last edited:
The more I think about the character the more I hate the character. The character has been around since fucking 1940 and has had like... NO character development.

How would you like him to develop, though? He's had a few backstories, and some different takes on the character, but ultimately he's an unpredictable wild card with no real defined origin, which is his appeal. He's the yin to Batman's yang, and that's pretty much all he needs to be.

Robert Reich is a national treasure.

I really wish he'd sought public office. He's basically everything Elizabeth Warren is supposed to be: an exceptionally bright and wonky progressive liberal. Not particularly internationalist or ideological, but just stupendous on domestic policy. And he's a very charming guy and a great communicator.

It actually bothers me quite a lot how many people who would be great in public office instead pursue or remain in positions on its periphery. I'd also like to see a lot more journalists ford the river into politics, but there are ethical and professional barriers to that.

Isn't the reason Warren got into Politics because the GOP Senate wouldn't confirm her to oversee the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau?

How would you like him to develop, though? He's had a few backstories, and some different takes on the character, but ultimately he's an unpredictable wild card with no real defined origin, which is his appeal. He's the yin to Batman's yang, and that's pretty much all he needs to be.
Barring "Killing Joke"... there isn't many Joker central storylines that I can personally think of.

At least like Deadshot does what he does for his daughter. Deathstroke his job is to be an assassin and he views Batman as the ultimate challenge.

Joker?... he's just sorta... there.

Barring "Killing Joke"... there isn't many Joker central storylines that I can personally think of.

At least like Deadshot does what he does for his daughter. Deathstroke his job is to be an assassin and he views Batman as the ultimate challenge.

But that's the point. He doesn't have a known motive, which makes him difficult to deal with. You don't know what makes him tick, and that's the crux of his character. He's an indiscriminate human hand grenade.

Well first he smile.

Then he no smile.

Then he smile again.

Then he act like Jaws.

Joker.

Well first he smile.

Then he no smile.

Then he smile again.

Then he act like Jaws.

Joker.
Even the version we got in Gotham was almost yawn inducing.

This guy, even though he was only Jigsaw for one season was way more compelling than Joker ever was:

The way that it was written showing what Frank did to him by cutting his face up with a mirror broke him mentally so bad.

@tonni @Trotsky

Even the dude in my av who is pretty straight forward has had character development in is time between comic book pages.

I'm not sure what you mean by character development, because there are several versions and back stories for the Joker character. Any character development would only affect a single chronology or series of films. Overall, he's about as deep as you can reasonably expect of a comic book character of his type, and his "one bad day" theme is probably the most powerful and enduring villain philosophy in the comic book world.

But, to be sure, the Killing Joke/Joker failed comedian backstory is my least favorite. It's just so lame imo. The BTAS hazy backstory is better. The Nolan non-backstory is the best by far.

Isn't the reason Warren got into Politics because the GOP Senate wouldn't confirm her to oversee the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau?

Yep

@tonni @Trotsky

EDIT:
MAX in Fury Road has more character development in 2.5 hours than Joker has had in near 80 years.
He's just an edgy 15 year old's idea of a cool character.

83235932_10156944379947776_5641454970818527232_o.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by character development, because there are several versions and back stories for the Joker character. Any character development would only affect a single chronology or series of films. Overall, he's about as deep as you can reasonably expect of a comic book character of his type, and his "one bad day" theme is probably the most powerful and enduring villain philosophy in the comic book world.

But, to be sure, the Killing Joke/Joker failed comedian backstory is my least favorite. It's just so lame imo. The BTAS hazy backstory is better. The Nolan non-backstory is the best by far.
This version of "one bad day" to me holds more weight:

Why? Cause we know what caused Frank to become the guy with the skull on his chest called The Punisher. When you don't know what Joker was PRIOR to putting on the makeup, carrying knives, and wearing the purple suit how do we know he even had a bad day and he wasn't always like that.

@Gregolian the Joker would be better if he really was all about making jokes and pranking, but he just exaggerates without having bad intentions. A man that can't stop himself from pranking.

Molyneux has always been terrible but he's kind of hit a new low with all this creepy posting about women becoming infertile. So far I know he's called out both Swift and Watson for being childless in about as creepy a manner as you could imagine.

Hmm, interesting take as it pertains to the black woman.

That's an interesting point, like you and Trots I didn't really see the incel angle much at all but now that you mention that point I guess its sort of there.

Same here. I like Starbuck enough but like I said in the other thread I think its overpriced. DD has a much better quality to price ratio. Less variety but I don't really care much about that.
Either they upped their game like Robin's donuts here or they serve far better shit in the US than here. There used to be a DD nearby, but as I described before, the coffee was like sandy hot water stirred with a pencil. Robin's Donuts was like that too and then they wised up.

Joker though..... he just likes anarchy. The line from the Ledger version where he's like "I'm just a dog chasing cars, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WOULD DO IF I CAUGHT ONE!" is the perfect way to describe him.
But even that's not true, he clearly had a plan, which was showing the world that the people of Gotham are bad inside. It's one of the least critiqued aspects of that movie and I don't understand why.

@Gregolian the Joker would be better if he really was all about making jokes and pranking, but he just exaggerates without having bad intentions. A man that can't stop himself from pranking.

This, while a GREAT scene in the movie sums up the issues with Joker on the ground level. He just does... random shit... cause he wants to do random shit.

When a villain's whole purpose is just chaos and mayhem it gets boring to me.

It's why even though I hate how they made Bane basically into a puppy dog following orders in the 3rd Nolan movie I prefer Bane to Joker.

Both Bane and Joker have the charisma to gain followers. But all of Joker's followers are bat fucking shit insane and just prone to mayhem. Bane's followers, all intelligent and they all can follow orders to a T and because of that are more dangerous in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back