War Room Lounge v82: I have watched alcohol ruin many people. Thanks for your interest Mr. Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested to know the guts behind this. Was the call center sucking before the public company bought it on the cheap, was it doing well enough but the public company offshored all the work to save coin,etc etc?
No, this centre is a top performer, though I can't speak for the rest of the company. I believe the purpose is as I stated earlier. Just keep it going until the contract runs out and then you have a whole call centre full of people in case you get a sudden increase in work. In that kind of business, the only thing worse than underperforming on a contract is not being able to accept the new line of business for lack of a place to put it. For now, they have the government giving out the dole so all they have to do is keep a list of phone numbers.

There were a fair number of long-tenured staff so it may be also a way to hire them back at a lower wage, though I'm not sure about that.

And yes, it's centre. At least here in civilized Canukistan. Center is that thing in the middle of a circle.

Dude I work for a bank, so I feel this post. My overlords just outsourced our entire desktop support, who were damn reliable, because some new exec needs to justify their existence by changing something. And about 9 years ago they brought in a dev team from India to save money. Of course 9 years later we’re still fixing all their buggy code at 120k average per developer, so, as usual, the suits are dumb.

also, call “centre”? Are you from middle earth?
No, but at least then the center would be where you normally find it, in the middle of something.

No, this centre is a top performer, though I can't speak for the rest of the company. I believe the purpose is as I stated earlier. Just keep it going until the contract runs out and then you have a whole call centre full of people in case you get a sudden increase in work. In that kind of business, the only thing worse than underperforming on a contract is not being able to accept the new line of business for lack of a place to put it. For now, they have the government giving out the dole so all they have to do is keep a list of phone numbers.

There were a fair number of long-tenured staff so it may be also a way to hire them back at a lower wage, though I'm not sure about that.

And yes, it's centre. At least here in civilized Canukistan. Center is that thing in the middle of a circle.

I know I’m Canadian but I had to adapt to simpler easier spelling so my US brethren could understand me when I moved down here.

It just seems weird though, either you keep it running at whole full steam, if you can, or eventually you board the whole thing up of you have no bidness. Not having capacity when you need it is a bitch but no one can afford to have empty buildings or hope that people just wait around for old jobs back on a temporary basis, at least longer term.

Anyway good luck with your shit, you seem like a smart enough guy, so I am sure you’ll land feet first.

goddamn there's a lot of terrible stand-up on Netflix.

Any recommendations on insulating a sliding glass door? Ours just leaks cold air, to the point it's a legitimate 10 degrees colder on one side of the living room versus the other right now. I used the below plastic stuff last year, and it maybe helped some. Anything else that's better or just go with this again? Rental, so can't install anything. And it has blinds, so not a big bar to put up a heavy or insulated curtain.

3M Indoor Patio Door Insulator Kit, 1-Patio Door

71i9EHbkH7L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

I've actually always preferred "centre." It's real snazzy.

I also habitually spell "theatre."

goddamn there's a lot of terrible stand-up on Netflix.

Imo 99.1% of standup is terrible. I'm still scarred from going to an amateur set a couple months ago. Threw out my damn back cringing in embarrassment for the performers.

Imo 99.1% of standup is terrible. I'm still scarred from going to an amateur set a couple months ago. Threw out my damn back cringing in embarrassment for the performers.

i could almost forgive an amateur.

these people are actual comedians. this is what they think they're good at.

I've actually always preferred "centre." It's real snazzy.

I also habitually spell "theatre."

Don't you usually hate pretentious diction?

Lots of theaters spell their names "Theatre," though so as long as it's capitalised you can properly use the kewl British spelling even if you're writing for an American audience.

Chappelle's latest on there was excellent. Can always count on him to bring some fresh takes, and he's one of the very few who makes me cackle out loud while watching at home.

Chappelle's latest on there was excellent. Can always count on him to bring some fresh takes, and he's one of the very few who makes me cackle out loud while watching at home.

I thought the last one was kind of a miss. The one before that (the "kicked her in the pussy" one) was great. The small-venue one was also not great.

I thought the last one was kind of a miss. The one before that (the "kicked her in the pussy" one) was great. The small-venue one was also not great.
Was it the low volume of funny jokes, or the kinda-not-sound philosophizing (or something else)?

Any recommendations on insulating a sliding glass door? Ours just leaks cold air, to the point it's a legitimate 10 degrees colder on one side of the living room versus the other right now. I used the below plastic stuff last year, and it maybe helped some. Anything else that's better or just go with this again? Rental, so can't install anything. And it has blinds, so not a big bar to put up a heavy or insulated curtain.

3M Indoor Patio Door Insulator Kit, 1-Patio Door

71i9EHbkH7L._SX425_.jpg

Move to Florida

Was it the low volume of funny jokes, or the kinda-not-sound philosophizing (or something else)?

Yeah, just didn't really make me laugh. Chappelle is my single favorite comic, too. Not saying it was terrible, but I just thought it was way below his usual standards. The kind of bad press it got actually probably prepared me for it to be better than it was.

I watched the small set one recently and I didn't find it that funny. It was still better than most comedians ever do, but yeah...this is dave motherfucking chapelle we're talking about here.

Gimmick showing again. Doesn’t like the latest Dave Chappell because it attacks liberal culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back