War Room Lounge v70: You have to give it a new name...

Who is your favorite Neverending Story character (from the film)? Choose up to ONE.

• Bastian, bested by jelly jars and fat bullies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Childlike Empress, still better than Trump

• Whooshwoozool the Bat Rider, silly enough without commentary

• The Bookkeeper was kind of a creep

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Fawlty, I want to vote for the bat.

Motherfucker could fly while sleeping, and everyone just called him stupid.

Consider this a write in vote.

I dunno, but that beta dude got clapped real quick. How are these people possibly so fucking stupid and victimized? Being assumed straight in virtually every space (aside from those which aren't, obviously) has never been the slightest bit disadvantageous. That's actually been more like basic survival in a number of different environments.

That thread is the epitome of a right-wing thread. Guy posts an article without reading it. He makes a title that is inaccurate. The derp brigade all see the title, come in, don't read the article, and start outrage fapping.

Not a kid in the '80s huh? ET, The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal were kids' classics.

The decade was about over by the time I was born, actually unfamiliar with or didn't see any of those as a kid aside from ET. I grew up watching a lot of flicks that were made in the '80s though lol (The Thing, Terminator, Aliens, Predator).

Last edited:
The decade was about over by the time I was born, actually unfamiliar with or didn't see any of those aside as a kid aside from ET. I grew up watching a lot of flicks that were made in the '80s though lol (The Thing, Terminator, Aliens, Predator).

Yeah, they were all mid-80s kids movies.
Didn't quite have the legs of 80s action movies like the Conans, Terminator, Predator, Aliens, Robocop, the Running Man, Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark or Big Trouble in Little China.
Same with the '80s horror movies like, The Evil Dead (1&2), Nightmare on Elm St, An American Werewolf in London, Hellraiser, The Thing, The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead, Child's Play, Pet Semetary, Gremlins, Beetlejuice, Friday the 13th or Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

@Jack V Savage
This is incoherent now. You said that it was my task to defend the left (also your examples don't fit the description). If you don't think "the left" exists (which is stupid, BTW), then you can't credibly accuse me of defending it. And the terms are very meaningful and useful. Your third claim is ridiculous.

Another content-free post from you. You lose when you flail this way. It also amuses me that it's "incoherent now" when I made the same claim repeatedly and never changed it.

If I were to make multiple posts attacking "the purples", it would be 100% fair for you to claim that I had taken up the task of attacking the purples. I noticed many instances of you defending the amorphous group you call "the left". In other words, you have taken up the task of defending "the left".

By contrast, I have never noticed you defending "the right", even when people make senseless posts attacking "the right". I'd bet you have never defended "the right" in your many years on this forum.

It's worse, I'm melting for someone and we're both in unspoken denial about it. Neither of us 'officially' want anything to do with a committed relationship right now and it's like 10-15 years too soon for that in homo years. Except for the fact that we do, with each other. :eek: You may need to intervene.

"Double-Down", huh? Ok. <45>

The bank thread was amazing. It's not like there's virtually ever a single point in time on here in which a new thread is not created, a conversation not started, a comment not made and/or a mention not appearing in my notifications related to the aforementioned. It's fun as hell though tbh.
About the first part, quit being a scaredy cat. If it's right it's right. The SAS motto is "Who dares wins." What's more uber macho than that? If it doesn't work out you will still have lots of time to get back in the general market. I have encountered many women lately (yes, comparing peaches and bananas but still) who are just marrying whomever because they don't think they're going to find their best match and you're turning down a ready opportunity at monogamous bliss. I recommend not letting yourself miss out.

Speaking of missing out,
How do people feel about The Truman show in here? I feel like that is a great film.
I've never seen it either.
Not a kid in the '80s huh? ET, The Neverending Story, The Princess Bride, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal were kids' classics.
Nope never saw most of those either (from start to finish that is), Labyrinth being the exception because Bowie was in it.
Legitimately strange to hear that. Probably wouldn't be a great watch now.
Sounds likely but it seems like it might be fun to try.

How do people feel about The Truman show in here? I feel like that is a great film.
Indeed, it is excellent.
Look man, how about the Truman show?
It is excellent.
Truman show?
Excellent.

Truman? show?

Excel.

No jokes here, Although Fawlty is sort of like Truman in the film. A person is alone, watched by many, and not in on what is a running joke. He is against all odds, but also used as an experiment rather than treated fairly.
This is too harsh, Mr. Sketch, and I cannot "like" this post. Mr. Fa is a swell fellow. I support him whole-heartedly. He must overcome the anger of his childhood to find God.

It's the ultimate loneliness, and humor thrives from it and I find it annoying comedians don't get the respect we deserve as artists. We bleed and suffer for our art as much as any painter or musician.
Mr. Agony, the respect you get for producing something is in direct proportion to the degree to which people like what you produced.

Tell us more about the blood loss you've experienced.

Last edited:
I gotta say, some of the spats in here the last couple of goes have been mind-numbing.

Only nostalgia can rescue us, imo.

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

Neverending Story was a fantastic book

Now on a less serious note any Isamic Bank jokes you know off?
"Well, before we can give you that loan, we'll need a statement of your prophets."

Or,
"First he said he was here to make a deposit but then he said everyone is too old for him and just he left."

Or,
"Who knew having a picture of the founder on the wall would get us in so much trouble?"

"The Rule of Law and Administrative Law" - Judge Edith Jones

What is the problem with the administrative state? Let me start off by quoting James Madison:

I believe there are more instances of abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
The rise of the administrative state has, in fact, silently and gradually encroached on our constitutional structure for approximately 100 years. I'm going to trace this history very briefly, outline the type of challenges it poses and offer just a few thoughts about what needs to be done to reverse these encroachments.

We start off, as we always must, with the framework of the Constitution. Article I commits all of the legislative power to the Congress, who are the people's representatives and tied to the people. Article II represents the president, who makes a commitment to take care that the laws shall be faithfully executed. So it is his job to apply the law and enforce the law through organs such as the Department of Justice. Finally, Article III is the independent judiciary. Blessed with life tenure---which of course I didn't favor until I became a federal judge (laughs)---and salary protection, so that we have the power of will and not judgment to say what the law is independently.

What was the purpose of the tripartite division of government? It was to preserve individual liberty within a framework of law. There were 500 years of English history leading up to the American revolution during which parliament, or the Lords, or whoever struggled to reign in the king's exercise of unilateral and unchecked power. The royal power was often exercised through "crown courts" and councils, unrepresentative bodies. They made and enforced the king's edicts wholly apart from parliament, and they were predictably arbitrary and oppressive. The founders knew this. This is why James Madison voiced the universal view of the framers when he said:

The accumulation of all powers, executive, legislative and judicial in the same hands, whether of the one, the few or the many, is the very definition of 'tyranny'.
So we have the structural constitution, which is intended to have separation of powers to protect liberty, prevent arbitrary and oppressive government. This brilliant plan worked for over 100 years, through political struggles economic changes, civil war and the demise of slavery. As of 1892, the Supreme Court could declare:

That Congress cannot delegate legislative power to the president is a principle universally recognized as vital to the integrity and maintenance of the system of government ordained by the Constitution.
What happened to this universal consensus? As you know, the late 19th Century posed many social and political challenges to the country. There was the rise of big business, mass migration to the cities during the industrial age, there were social tensions and upheaval. But just as important, an intellectual challenge arose to the foundations of constitutionalism. Scholars like then-professor Woodrow Wilson had become enamored of the German ideas (@JDragon) about "progress", "sovereignty", and "government social responsibility".

The Germanic system elevated social welfare above individual liberty, and it placed what they said at that time was a "scientific" and "efficient" brand of government management over government of the people and by the people. Honest, independent, expert administrators, the argument went, would rise above politics and pursue the best interests of the people.

The progressive movement, which influenced both political parties at the turn of the last century, was heavily influenced by these people and these ideas. In fact, many progressive scholars believed that the Constitution's separation of powers was antiquated and inefficient, but they didn't tell the people that. As the progressives campaigned, they made their case to the public on more appealing grounds. Who could object to the government's acting through regulators and administrators to prevent railroads and utilities from price gouging and discrimination? Who could object to improving working conditions and ensuring safe drugs and food? Thus, through the efforts of the progressives we saw the creation of the Federal Trade Commission and the Interstate Commerce Commission as our first major regulatory agencies....

@Lord Coke
@JamesRussler
@Kafir-kun
@Jack V Savage

Indeed, it is excellent.

It is excellent.

Excellent.

Excel.

This is too harsh, Mr. Sketch, and I cannot "like" this post. Mr. Fa is a swell fellow. I support him whole-heartedly. He must overcome the anger of his childhood to find God.

Mr. Agony, the respect you get for producing something is in direct proportion to the degree to which people like what you produced.

Tell us more about the blood loss you've experienced.

What do you think he’s angry about?

Here we have yet another Democratic presidential candidate claiming extra-constitutional authority. Rule of law be damned. That much is almost expected at this point, however.

What isn't expected is that a candidate who claims to believe that human GHG emissions are a serious threat to human and non-human life would advocate a total ban on the set of technologies that the IPCC writes "has increased and diversified the gas supply and allowed for a more extensive switching of power and heat production from coal to gas; this is an important reason for a reduction of GHG emissions in the United States.”

Of course, Elizabeth might have other reasons for her proposed ban, such as concern over local impacts. However, none of this would seem to outweigh the supposed urgency of Warren's asserted "climate crisis". In the absence of further explanation, this looks like political posturing on Elizabeth's part.

What do you think he’s angry about?

The lack of a spiritual guide breaks even the strongest among us. Mr. Fa is unsure of his purpose for existence and feels unhappy about his relationships and social status. He has become dependent on "the world" for instant gratification. The truth, Mr. Sketch, is that "the world" will never bring us fulfillment. Only by finding inner peace, distinct from "the world", can we overcome anger.

Here we have yet another Democratic presidential candidate claiming extra-constitutional authority. Rule of law be damned. That much is almost expected at this point, however.

What isn't expected is that a candidate who claims to believe that human GHG emissions are a serious threat to human and non-human life would advocate a total ban on the set of technologies that the IPCC writes "has increased and diversified the gas supply and allowed for a more extensive switching of power and heat production from coal to gas; this is an important reason for a reduction of GHG emissions in the United States.”

Of course, Elizabeth might have other reasons for her proposed ban, such as concern over local impacts. However, none of this would seem to outweigh the supposed urgency of Warren's asserted "climate crisis". In the absence of further explanation, this looks like political posturing on Elizabeth's part.

I’ll give it to the nicest guy on Sherdog, but even he said this fracking thing was too much and disqualifies her. His words not mine.

The lack of a spiritual guide breaks even the strongest among us. Mr. Fa is unsure of his purpose for existence and feels unhappy about his relationships and social status. He has become dependent on "the world" for instant gratification. The truth, Mr. Sketch, is that "the world" will never bring us fulfillment. Only by finding inner peace, distinct from "the world", can we overcome anger.

But what if anger pays the bills?

And forget about that fa guy, he is a lost cause. His is the saddest story never told.

And forget about that fa guy, he is a lost cause. His is the saddest story never told.

Mr. Sketch, have you become too antagonistic toward Mr. Fa? If you are not careful you might even develop into the AntiFa.

But what if anger pays the bills?
It is still wrong, Mr. Sketch. Our battle is a spiritual battle, good vs evil. Money is often a tool of evil.

I’ll give it to the nicest guy on Sherdog, but even he said this fracking thing was too much and disqualifies her. His words not mine.
Interesting, Mr. Sketch. We will see if Mr. Jack can hold to that position. For his team, I do not believe Elizabeth is the strongest candidate to win the 2020 election---although that has nothing to do with her position on fracking.

Last edited:
Interesting, Mr. Sketch. We will see if Mr. Jack can hold to that position. For his team, I do not believe Elizabeth is the strongest candidate to win the 2020 election---although that has nothing to do with her position on fracking.

For him, it was. I wonder if he will stick to his comments as well. I find him to be all over the place when it comes to this election (Convenient for him) but never the less we can both agree she is a piss poor candidate with zero hopes to beat President Trump. Perhaps she should stick with her book club or take up knitting. I hear that is a popular past time with women of her age.

Memento
The Machinist
Salton Sea
Frailty
Unbreakable
Dark Knight
Inglorious Bastards
Django Unchained
Drive
Interstellar
Forest Fucking Gump
Critters 2: The Main Course

Hey , I just wanted to apologize for laughing at critters 2. I meant no disrespect. You have no idea how many guilty pleasure films are on my list

That thread is the epitome of a right-wing thread. Guy posts an article without reading it. He makes a title that is inaccurate. The derp brigade all see the title, come in, don't read the article, and start outrage fapping.
Once it becomes clear it's an outrage article and they've misrepresented it, they will either ignore it or say it might as well have happened so.

Once it becomes clear it's an outrage article and they've misrepresented it, they will either ignore it or say it might as well have happened so.

Tonni, you crazy Dutch bastard. What the fuck is up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back