War Room Lounge V47: The Cool Kids are in the Over-40 Club

Hey asshole, how old are you? (Cool people are over 40)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What even is centrism anyways? Is it like being bisexual?

It's something healthy rational adults are. They take the good and the bad from both sides and form their own opinions on issues. Unfortunately in the 3rd world America political world, there is only two parties (I wonder why) so dipshits get cornered into thinking it's right vs left only and you must pick a side.

I don't really know what "hot take" or "ice-cold take" mean when people use them because it seems so inconsistent. But if you're suggesting that's a true statement, can you elaborate?
I thought it was a super uninteresting take on a very stale gameshow lol

We'll never get to see Family Feud played at a high level because it's really casual and you won't get a family of geniuses on there very often. But assuming basic competence, like being able to consistently come up with a list of "things your wife does to annoy you around the house" (harder than it sounds), the crux of the game is predicting the unpopular answers that a random sample of Americans will give to questions like that, because those questions are what determine whether you will get the points once the obvious ones are off the board.

Just from my experience, the people who have been freakishly good card players or abnormally sharp in some other way are also very good at guessing what other people will think and say about something, and people who aren't as skilled are nowhere near as good at it. That usually plays out as a game of "What does Joe or whoever think?" And it's a valid battle of wits. But I think it's even harder to ask what the unpopular answer-giving survey takers think.

An example from a game today got me thinking about it. The survey was which movie monster is a strong, silent type. The top answer was the obvious Frankenstein (but only got like 23/100 responses), and a low-scoring answer was The Blob, and those are the two that fit the question best. But the second place answer was King Kong! If the survey was something like: "Name a loud and unruly movie monster," King Kong probably would have come in second again, this time to Godzilla (who also made the strong, silent type list).

I thought that King Kong was definitely going to be a popular answer, or even the most popular, despite him not fitting the question very well. But there are subtle turns that questions similar to this would take, and you sort of have to take the temperature of the culture as to what fits. King Kong would make any movie monster list that doesn't strongly dissuade a person from choosing him, and even then could get in for a couple points if the people surveyed could not name movie monsters on the phone, on the spot.

For example, the question might be "Where do you see a lot of boobs?" That was also from today. The obvious answer is the strip club, and that was number one. But the number two answer was "Hooters," which scored higher than "At The Beach." Even though 'Hooters' is a retarded answer to that question, it's a good one to take a shot at when all the obvious ones have been taken up, and I think knowing when to try a stupid answer and when to hold out for a few tries at the more obvious, "smart" but less-popular answers (like "The Blob" from the previous question) is a place where a person with a certain genius can really set himself apart.

Hopefully those examples made sense. I'm basically saying the game is super subtle, that the skillset it rewards is very noticeable in some freaky-intelligent people, and that nobody should care about this post at all.

Last edited:
Age is a social construct and I refuse to let the cis patriarchy place an arbitrary number on my being

Age is a social construct and I refuse to let the cis patriarchy place an arbitrary number on my being

Would you let the gay mafia place an arbitrary number on your being?

I thought it was a super uninteresting take on a very stale gameshow lol

We'll never get to see Family Feud played at a high level because it's really casual and you won't get a family of geniuses on there very often. But assuming basic competence, like being able to consistently come up with a list of "things your wife does to annoy you around the house" (harder than it sounds), the crux of the game is predicting the unpopular answers that a random sample of Americans will give to questions like that, because those questions are what determine whether you will get the points once the obvious ones are off the board.

Just from my experience, the people who have been freakishly good card players or abnormally sharp in some other way are also very good at guessing what other people will think and say about something, and people who aren't as skilled are nowhere near as good at it. That usually plays out as a game of "What does Joe or whoever think?" And it's a valid battle of wits. But I think it's even harder to ask what the unpopular answer-giving survey takers think.

An example from a game today got me thinking about it. The survey was which movie monster is a strong, silent type. The top answer was the obvious Frankenstein (but only got like 23/100 responses), and a low-scoring answer was The Blob, and those are the two that fit the question best. But the second place answer was King Kong! If the survey was something like: "Name a loud and unruly movie monster," King Kong probably would have come in second again, this time to Godzilla (who also made the strong, silent type list).

I thought that King Kong was definitely going to be a popular answer, or even the most popular, despite him not fitting the question very well. But there are subtle turns that questions similar to this would take, and you sort of have to take the temperature of the culture as to what fits. King Kong would make any movie monster list that doesn't strongly dissuade a person from choosing him, and even then could get in for a couple points if the people surveyed could not name movie monsters on the phone, on the spot.

For example, the question might be "Where do you see a lot of boobs?" That was also from today. The obvious answer is the strip club, and that was number one. But the number two answer was "Hooters," which scored higher than "At The Beach." Even though 'Hooters' is a retarded answer to that question, it's a good one to take a shot at when all the obvious ones have been taken up, and I think knowing when to try a stupid answer and when to hold out for a few tries at the more obvious, "smart" but less-popular answers (like "The Blob" from the previous question) is a place where a person with a certain genius can really set himself apart.

Hopefully those examples made sense. I'm basically saying the game is super subtle, that the skillset it rewards is very noticeable in some freaky-intelligent people, and that nobody should care about this post at all.

Did you see this:

Captain Davis said:
Oof

That was rude polish.

It’s guys like Homer and @Tycho Brah that pay for plat and tell everyone about sherdog because it’s a great site. It’s guys like me that are ruining it.

How dare anyone post on a karate site about politics and not take it deadly serious!

The nerve

Of course you realize this ducking of responsibility is a completely transparent defence mechanism.

Perhaps the GOAT comedy show and that clip captures the best of each character

Charlies expertise on dragons and birds is only rivaled by Denise's narcissism and rage

And the explanation for why Charlie's weird answers kept hitting was great.

I wouldn't rate the show quite as highly as you do, but it is great.

More of a Wheel of Fortune guy?

Not really a game-show guy. I like Jeopardy, though.

Have we done a list of best comedic shows or sitcoms?

@Fawlty @Trotsky

Many great ones I haven't seen, but the ones I'd put over IASiP for sure are the Simpsons, Arrested Development (too bad it was canceled after the third season and never, ever brought back by any streaming network, ever), Veep, and the Good Place. Then possibles are Silicon Valley, Scrubs, Taxi, Cheers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Newsradio, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the Larry Sanders Show, and 30 Rock.

Last edited:
I think so, but don't remember the last time. I haven't watched enough series to to make a big list, but I have Arrested Development (the original show) followed by Seinfeld.
Not really a game-show guy. I like Jeopardy, though.

Many great ones I haven't seen, but the ones I'd put over IASiP for sure are the Simpsons, Arrested Development (too bad it was canceled after the third season and never, ever brought back by any streaming network), Veep, and the Good Place. Then possibles are Silicon Valley, Scrubs, Taxi, Cheers, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Newsradio, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the Larry Sanders Show, and 30 Rock.

Put me in the camp of Curb over Seinfeld.

I thought Seinfeld was good but not great but Curb was great.

I think it's because Drew Carey and Frasier were on at the same time as Seinfeld and found them better.

Niles on Frasier and Oswald and Lewis on Drew Carey are three of the best secondary characters in sitcom history imo.

Arrested Development was also great.

I also loved King of Queens. Kevin James wasn't that great on the big screen but with Patton Oswalt and Jerry Stiller it was awesome imo

Last edited:
Have we done a list of best comedic shows or sitcoms?

@Fawlty @Trotsky

I think so. I generally recall that everyone but me was high on Arrested Development.

1. The Office
2. Seinfeld
3. Community
4. Scrubs
5. Modern Family
6. Always Sunny
7. King of the Hill
8. Veep
9. Bored to Death
10. Schitt's Creek

The Office is my personal favorite, but Seinfeld is the undisputed GOAT.

Put me in the camp of Curb over Seinfeld.

giphy.gif

1. Simpsons
2. Seinfeld
3. Curb
4. Arrested Development
5. Newsradio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back