Social War Room Lounge v220: Lead has no likes for self-righteous "enlightened" centrism

Best Bernie meme feature film appearance

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tycho- Taylor's Version

Wild ferocious creature
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quoting myself because you fuckers were too slow. Also @Lead if you could stick- oh, nvm.

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

bernie-sanders-i-am-once-again-asking-meme-how-to-create-and-drop-his-chair-anywhere.png

EsPQCvaW8AIrgpG_1611309842645_1611309848375.jpg

fhbernie220121.jpg

Deadpool-Bernie-Sanders-Meme.jpg

60096727b6b33.image.jpg

EsXOQh0UYAUmw22_1611544838720_1611544849199.jpg

\
Bernie-Sanders-Totoro.jpg

141183786_332724737896203_5157297122381413938_n.jpg

Last edited:
My stimulus check showed up and I'm wondering just how much oxy it could get me.

What happened to Lead, you might ask? GNN has you covered.

Gandhi News Corp Reports: Longtime Moderator Resigns in Protest, Citing 'Indefensible Double Standard'

913e0b4b3995b3a6023f621fd682d844--jack-white-rock-star.jpg

It was a solemn Saturday afternoon. Longtime Sherdog moderator @Lead was wiping streaks of eyeliner from his cheek as he tried to pass off a stony resolve. "Cut my wrists and black my eyes! So I can fall asleep tonight! (or die!)" echoed through the master bathroom. His Sherdog career had afforded him the luxury of a master bathroom and primping station. It had afforded him a lifestyle he could never have imagined when he was a shy, sexy 19 year-old barista. But as he whisked away the chop-cut bangs from his face, he knew his time at Sherdog needed to end.

He arrived at the coffee shop nearly thirty minutes late. He looked frazzled as he entered the revolving door, caught his breath, and unbuttoned his pea coat. As he removed his coat, he unveiled shocking, crystalline nipples showing through his v-neck tee shirt. I averted my gaze but couldn't help but wonder why he didn't wear shirts that were less tight if his nipples were prone to standing at such attention. As it were, I felt as if I was sitting down to interview Jennifer Anniston circa-2001.

"It just got out of hand," he began. "We didn't want to seem as if we were playing favorites. A moderator booth is no place for ideologues or partisans."

Lead was in denial of the fact that he was, though, an ideologue of sort. His ideology was one of false equivalency. He was sure of the fact that politics did not define a person: their intelligence, their cordiality, or their honesty. He was therefore sure that the rules could be levied in an equal way and that enforcement would be equal across the political community that he oversaw.

"We were naïve...we were just so fucking naïve," he recollects with regret and a tinge of anger accompanying his words.

As he sips on his double shot extra foam gingerbread soy latte, it's hard to know whether it's the thick steam rising from the cup or the harsh realizations of lost idealism that bring about a teary glaze over his eyes.

"We thought we were going to change the world," he says. "We were going to manage the public conversation in a way that was truly nonpartisan and usher in a new era of discourse: one that heightened civility and reason regardless of petty politics. It wasn't about political gamesmanship or our own egos."

He soon after realized that his colleagues were less self-scrutinizing than he was. He recalls moderator firebrand Madmick instantly banning three posters for making fun of Mick's micropenis. In reality, they had been talking about shrunken GDP, and Mick had jumped the gun. Lead tried to advocate on their behalf and clarify that the posters were not pointing and laughing at Mick's adorable genitals. But his pleas fell on deaf ears.

However, the occasional moderator tantrum or vendetta aside, he remained resolved in his bothsidesist charter.

Then Trump happened.

Although, if he had been honest with himself, right-wing posters had always been less rational and more prone to flagrant rule-breaking, the Trump era brought a whole new wave of derp. Conservative posters regularly spammed threads with throwaway partisan buzz phrases like "TDS," "Orange Man Bad," or "nothingburger." And those were the good ones. The rest of them, invigorated by having a coarse and proudly ignorant would-be authoritarian in office, focused their posts on some of their president's favorite subjects: immigrants, racial minorities, and violence against liberals.

The best among the forum Trumpers merely regurgitated baseless conspiracy theories about marginalized groups and political enemies. The worst, however, openly called for their slaughter.

Although the now-unsuppressed furor on the right did result in some increases in incivility on the left, the changes between the two sides were completely asymmetrical. Soon, in an effort to keep enforcement numbers relatively equal amid clearly unequal trends in behavior, Lead found himself and his mod brethren censuring left-wing posters for minor offenses like not saying "please," while dozens of right-wing posters were permitted to refer to Muslims as invasive species, employ toxic racial stereotypes, and call for the slaughter of ethnic groups.

As he scrambled for solid footing, he turned to a man that he'd always looked up to. The man's name was Ruprecht.

"I looked up to him. He was wise, stern, and, it seemed at times, profound." He pauses, his eyes making contact with mine for a few moments. "I thought of his as a father figure. Or a grandfather figure. Well, but not my own grandfather. My grandpa is hilarious. Ruprecht was humorless. You ever see the Lion King? You know the crazy baboon who becomes the mentor of Simba? Okay, think like the opposite of that." He begins to chuckle to himself. "I remember one time when all the mods got together to watch Borat. Most of us were howling. I looked over to Ruprecht. He appeared as if holding in a risky fart. I asked him if he was enjoying the movie. 'That accent is utterly unbelievable,' he responded. 'You know Pamela Anderson has fake breasts, right?' I sheepishly nodded and returned to watching the movie."

"In the end, he wasn't the man I thought he was," he dejectedly concludes. "Ultimately, Ruprecht wasn't interested in whether our regime was being honest."

Then came the straw that broke the camel's back.

The banning of @Fawlty.

"It wasn't right." he begins. Fawlty did nothing wrong. We have posters here doxxing each other and calling political figures pedophiles...and they ban him for that? A long-time fixture in the community? For saying that banging Thai prostitutes might pay into exploitative industry practices? It was absurd!" His voice has at this point risen to a holler. He recomposes himself.

"Ultimately, I just had to get out of there. It's not that the revolution was betrayed. It's worse. The revolution was rotten at its core. We thought we were creating a system of equality, but we failed to entertain the possibility that not all posters are equal. Ultimately, we created an indefensible double standard."

I ask him what is the next stop in his journey.

"Well, that's the exactly it. Journey."

I anticipate where he's going with his words: that the journey is now the point and that lofty goals and idealistic endeavors are now behind him.

"No," he interjects. "I'm just going to listen to a lot of Journey."

An awkward pause.

That letter was written because of the governments inaction on AIDS research. Apparently him and Fauci had a complex relationship and were friends at the time of Kramer’s death last May due to pneumonia. From what I have read he was a passionate activist.
Oh, man lol. You're a fabulous poster bro but I'm almost triggered to be told things about Larry from someone else. Yes, to all of the above. He was actually the greatest leader the gay community ever had. Rest In Rage.

Laurence David Kramer (June 25, 1935 – May 27, 2020) was an American novelist, playwright, screenwriter, public health advocate, and activist. In 1982, he co-founded Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC), the world's first and largest private organization assisting people living with HIV/AIDS. In 1987, he formed the direct action protest group AIDS Coalition To Unleash Power (ACT UP) which changed political organizing, heavily publicized the lack of treatment available for people living with HIV/AIDS and altered medical science in the process.

Dr. Larry Mass, a physician and co-founder of GMHC who wrote the first articles about the emerging epidemic in May 1981 in the New York Native said of him, “Larry Kramer is a colossus of character, courage, drive, genius, and providence with no counterpart. He has cut a swath across populations, communities, continents, timespans, theater, literature, medicine, and science. Where would we be without him? Alas, the answer to that is already nipping at our heels.”

“In American medicine, there are two eras: before Larry and after Larry,” said Dr. Anthony S. Fauci of the National Institutes of Health. “There is no question in my mind that Larry helped change medicine in this country, and he helped change it for the better. When all the screaming and histrionics are forgotten, that will remain.”

ractd.jpg

ractb.jpg

ractc.jpg

It shouldnt trigger you. I wasn’t aware of who he was until you posted that article headline. So I decided to look up the author. The more I read the most I figured you would probably were been familiar with him, only because you’re too informed for that to have been a coincidence. Thank you for introducing me to him.
Prior to the crisis he was actually a very polarizing figure in the community for his hilariously scathing takes on the promiscuity of its youth from the perspective of a man entering middle-age: "You know what my crime was? I put the truth in writing, that's what I do. I have told the fucking truth to everyone I've ever met."

rncbn.jpg

s0250.gif

It's doubly funny now since I was banned from Sherdog for using the title of that timeless novel, despite hating my people about as much as Larry did. That is to say, an undying love for them when it really comes down to it. ACT UP didn't really fuck around, this clip pretty much sums up what he (and they) were about.

Are his books worth reading? When I say worth I mean entertaining. I also don’t typically read a book. As a dyslexic I usually consume audio books. They have been an absolutely game changer for me. While giving up power to the narrator they have allowed me to experience books that I simply would have never read in a traditional sense.

Entertaining? Extremely. Accessible? Eh, probably not so much lol. His books were written with a specific audience and readership in mind. He garnered more mainstream (read: hetero) acclaim as a playwright and screenwriter than novelist.

The Normal Heart is a largely autobiographical 1985 play by Larry Kramer. It focuses on the rise of the HIV/AIDS crisis in New York City between 1981 and 1984, as seen through the eyes of writer/activist Ned Weeks, the gay founder of a prominent HIV advocacy group. Ned prefers loud public confrontations to the calmer, more private strategies favored by his associates, friends, and closeted lover Felix Turner. Their differences of opinion lead to frequent arguments that threaten to undermine their mutual goal.

After a successful 1985 Off-Broadway production at The Public Theater, the play was revived in Los Angeles and London and again Off-Broadway in 2004. A Broadway debut opened in April 2011. Ellen Barkin and John Benjamin Hickey won the Tony Awards for Best Performance by a Featured Actress and Actor, respectively, for its Broadway debut, while the production won Best Revival of a Play.

Jack Kroll of Newsweek called it "extraordinary" and added, "It is bracing and exciting to hear so much passion and intelligence. Kramer produces a cross fire of life-and-death energies that create a fierce and moving human drama." In the New York Daily News, Liz Smith said, "An astounding drama... a damning indictment of a nation in the middle of an epidemic with its head in the sand. It will make your hair stand on end even as the tears spurt from your eyes." Rex Reed stated, "No one who cares about the future of the human race can afford to miss The Normal Heart," while director Harold Prince commented, "I haven't been this involved – upset – in too damn long. Kramer honors us with this stormy, articulate theatrical work."

<mma4>

It was also made into a film not that long ago.

The film received widespread critical acclaim, with praise for Kramer's screenplay, its drama, moral messages, production values, and the performances of the cast. Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 94% based on 50 reviews. The site's critics consensus reads: "Thanks to Emmy-worthy performances from a reputable cast, The Normal Heart is not only a powerful, heartbreaking drama, but also a vital document of events leading up to and through the early AIDS crisis." Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score to reviews from mainstream critics, gives the film a score of 85 out of 100, based on 33 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".

Last I new the rate was about a buck a mg. Heroin is probably cheaper.

But you should spend your money on anything but opioids

I keep myself to once or twice a week. I mix up my substance abuse to duck and dodge dependency.

@Rebelfett the trailer wasn't up when I first saw your post. Definitely looking forward to it.

I know it;s crazy to say after what JB has done but I still think Caldwell was the most talented of that group.... a fucking rollerblading accident.. roller fuck blading

What do any of these guys know about being working class?

Not familiar with the guy on the left, but the guy on the right is (I am spotting him some very generous benefits of the doubt here) a rare conservative that I think might actually intend to talk about the "working class" in good faith. Whereas for POS politicians like Trump or Hawley, it's completely hollow.

Quoting myself because you fuckers were too slow. Also @Lead if you could stick- oh, nvm.

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

bernie-sanders-i-am-once-again-asking-meme-how-to-create-and-drop-his-chair-anywhere.png

EsPQCvaW8AIrgpG_1611309842645_1611309848375.jpg

fhbernie220121.jpg

Deadpool-Bernie-Sanders-Meme.jpg

60096727b6b33.image.jpg

EsXOQh0UYAUmw22_1611544838720_1611544849199.jpg

\
Bernie-Sanders-Totoro.jpg

141183786_332724737896203_5157297122381413938_n.jpg
Tbh not a fan of this Bernie meme, voted for the Ghibli one because it took the most effort as it required the creator to draw Bernie instead of a lazy copy/paste job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back