WAR ROOM LOUNGE V21: ♫♪ Tom Lehrer Awareness Week ♪♫

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

GOAT musical comedian?

Rodney Carrington, Stephen Lynch, Ray Stevens, Steve Martin...no.

Weird Al? Maybe, but meh.

Mod Note: This thread is for a general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click insert quote, and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

Odd Note:
"

Good-bye! It's Armageddon. You will not prune your vine,
Nor taste the salt of channel winds, nor hear the singing Rhine.
You'll sleep with friends and enemies until the trumpet sounds,
And open are the thrones of kings, and all the Trojan mounds.

When women's tears are rainbows then, that shine across the sky,
And swords are raised in last salute, to a comrade enemy,
And what men fought and failed for, or what men strove and won,
Are like forgotten shadows, and clouds that hid the sun.

"
Aubrey Herbert

"

Time to go down to the basement for some more hauntingly delicious...armageddon!”
― Count Chocula

Shoutout to JVS who reminded me this guy existed. I had heard "Masochism Tango" on one of those old HBO Real Sex shows when I was a teenager with nothing but an old gym sock and a dream. But the song stuck in my head permanently. I never put it together that it was a Tom Lehrer song until last year.

I've never heard of Tom Lehrer.
It's remarkable that he was able to get away with some of the songs he wrote in the 50s, considering he wasn't low-brow where dirty songs were acceptable. And some of his stuff is quite filthy.

I've never heard of Tom Lehrer.
He's never heard of you

But he's heard your mom. Heard her gasp, her moan.

Heard her cry, once, the last time. He heard the ringer, but didn't hear the voice messages she left, the next few months. Or read the letters to his old address.

No, he never heard of you.

You don't get blaming the candidate? Sure an election has many more moving parts than a boxing match so on some level there's blame to go around. But the candidate is the face of the campaign, her presentation and her reputation have a non-negligible impact on its success or failure.

Let me put it this way: Blaming a candidate is irrational in most cases and I don't recall hearing for any other elections. Like I said, I think it comes from sporting analogies, but those analogies are misleading.

If you look at research on campaigns, you realize that we really don't know anything about what works or doesn't. But if you talk to people who don't look at research, you get the impression that it's incredibly obvious and you have to be a literal idiot not to know what works and what doesn't.

Its true we don't know that Sanders would've done better and had no reason to think so before hand. But in hindsight it certainly seemed like an anti-establishment year and Sanders was no doubt seen as the anti-establishment candidate from among the Dems.

See, even this doesn't add up to me. Take out the Comey effect and Clinton almost certainly wins, and has a larger popular margin. The narrative would be what a stupid move it was for Republicans to nominate someone so obviously unqualified and ill-equipped. The lesson there is that popular narratives that arise from elections are not really well-thought-out or reliable.

Let me put it this way: Blaming a candidate is irrational in most cases and I don't recall hearing for any other elections. Like I said, I think it comes from sporting analogies, but those analogies are misleading.

If you look at research on campaigns, you realize that we really don't know anything about what works or doesn't. But if you talk to people who don't look at research, you get the impression that it's incredibly obvious and you have to be a literal idiot not to know what works and what doesn't.

See, even this doesn't add up to me. Take out the Comey effect and Clinton almost certainly wins, and has a larger popular margin. The narrative would be what a stupid move it was for Republicans to nominate someone so obviously unqualified and ill-equipped. The lesson there is that popular narratives that arise from elections are not really well-thought-out or reliable.
There would've been no Comey effect if Sanders was the candidate. And is there even evidence of this so called Comey effect?

You keep repeating that claim as if it's the only one. I'm talking about her other claim (i.e. listing herself as a minority at UPenn based on her having one relative in her lineage generations prior). For her not to be making a false claim in this particular instance you would have to believe one of the following. Either UPenn themselves chose to embellish her ancestry or that believing you have one great-grand parent of NA blood (that you've never met) is enough to claim minority status. The first could be true but there's no evidence to suggest it and Warren herself says she was listing herself that way for social reasons. The second is simply ridiculous and no honest person would claim minority status based on such a small percentage of ancestry.

The second is actually true, especially since she was very clear that she only had a remote ancestor. It might enrage you, but it's the truth. The first might also be true.

No idea what your last sentence refers to. But it's one of your usual cheap ploys anyway so not that it matters.

It was pretty clear, actually. Your argument is based on assuming things that she didn't say, while you ordinarily denounce that, even in cases where it is more reasonable.

There would've been no Comey effect if Sanders was the candidate. And is there even evidence of this so called Comey effect?

There wouldn't have specifically been a Comey effect if Sanders were the candidate, true. But I think it's a fantasy to think that he wouldn't be portrayed as a crook or worse.

Kevin Drum lays out the Comey effect well:

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/04/lets-talk-about-bubbles-and-james-comey/

Here's Sean McElwee and others:

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/1/11/14215930/comey-email-election-clinton-campaign

The second is actually true,...

It was pretty clear, actually. Your argument is based on assuming things that she didn't say, while you ordinarily denounce that, even in cases where it is more reasonable.

I'm willing to bet most would disagree.

My argument is based on what was in the link you provided for evidence and the claim (made by you as well as others) that to her knowledge she has one relative of Native American heritage that she's generations removed from. Not sure how you can be honestly confused over that. Surely you can point out which things she didn't say that the validity of my argument relies upon?

My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strych'nine....

I'm willing to bet most would disagree.

My argument is based on what was in the link you provided for evidence and the claim (made by you as well as others) that to her knowledge she has one relative of Native American heritage that she's generations removed from. Not sure how you can be honestly confused over that. Surely you can point out which things she didn't say that the validity of my argument relies upon?

The thing she didn't say that the validity of your argument relies upon is that she had more than a distant NA ancestor. I'm not confused at all. She said that she'd heard she had a distant NA ancestor and based her listing on that fact.

So, who wants to take me out for lunch?

You guys see the fucking contract Canelo just signed with that streaming service DAZN?

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/10/17/17988794/confirmed-canelo-signs-11-fight-365m-deal-with-dazn

$365 MILLION, 11 fights, over 5 years. WITH A GODDAMN NEWLY STARTED COMBAT SPORTS STREAMING SERVICE HOLY SHIT.
Jesus. The group that is behind DAZN is pretty stacked, controlling the Sporting News and has a long-term contract with Women's Tennis, but that's still a pretty big chunk going out to Canelo. Seems ambitious lol.

Jesus. The group that is behind DAZN is pretty stacked, controlling the Sporting News and has a long-term contract with Women's Tennis, but that's still a pretty big chunk going out to Canelo. Seems ambitious lol.
It seems FUCKING INSANE.

I get they are ran by a company that has a large/deep bank account but a 9 figure deal for 11 fights and 5 years in a sport where 1 bad fight can derail a career?

I know he's not the first guy they've signed but he IS the first one they've signed on this side of the Atlantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back