War Room Lounge v184: I said I like rosemary and suddenly it's a fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the work of witches and warlocks
That's funny I think about warlocks a lot. I imagine the warlock in a large tower, or maybe a bungalow, and he's got a wall full of pictures and bits of information about me.

Deontay wilder had gone crazy he is accusing the commision of tampering with his gloves his water being spiked and his trainer being on the take as well as the ref

Last edited:
I'd say we've hit an all-time high, but we've got plenty of fuel left to burn. We might even achieve orbit, and slingshot ourselves deeper into the stupid than we ever dreamed possible.
Do you ever get scared that you're actually dumb and people are just being nice about it?

So, a few points. Women absolutely do test because they're just people, and people test for various reasons. To give a gender neutral example, take the example of people with attachment issues. Quite often they will push people away to the point of even sabotaging relationships or saying hurtful things in order to see who is really genuinely there for them. Women do this, men do this. This is based on their experiences and it's a strategy that they believe is in their best interest.

To give some examples of tests specific to women, one of the most common ones is flaking. A woman will flake on you just to see your reaction. This is not a sign of disinterest. It's purely a test because it's a.) a lie, and b.) you can pass it. The purpose of the test is to suss out whether or not you're a butthurt loser with nothing else going on. Now you can argue that you shouldn't involve yourself with ''women like that,'' but that's just silliness. It's not ''women like that'' that's just the way women are.

Within the context of a long term relationship, take the trope of a woman who tries to change her man, and then leaves him once he's changed. It's a story as old as the hills. Women do it all the time. Why do they want you to give up your friends, or your clothes, or your hobbies, or your likes and interests? It's so stupid. Only it's not about the friends or clothes or hobbies or likes or interests. She's seeing if she can bend you to her will. It will be couched in terms of ''we need to spend more time together'' or something like ''you're choosing [thing] over me!'' To you, it seems like an eminently reasonable compromise. To her, she's testing to see if you're willing to draw a line.

So why do women do this? It's just like my first gender neutral example: given their lived experiences, they believe it to be in their best interest. Most men have no frame of reference for what it's like to be even a vaguely attractive woman (and vice versa). Pretty much only celebrity men would have any clue what it's like to be almost universally desired by the opposite sex. To never have to be alone. For someone to always want something from you. If you lived this reality for a day (you don't) you'd develop ways to filter through the riff raff pretty fucking quickly and the solution you'd arrive at wouldn't be too different.

You see, given our different realities, men and women have different objectives. For men, the great challenge is to secure a mate. For women, this is not a challenge. Their challenge is to secure the best mate. What makes someone the best is more a function of what they do than who they are. As perhaps a worrying a corollary it is, it follows pretty easily that the way women love men is fundamentally different from the way men love women. Sorry to be the one to tell you.
Fortunately, I'm happily married and my wife has indicated no desire to change me. On the odd occasion one of us is out of line or tries to play head games for whatever reason we hash it out to avoid allowing resentment to creep into the relationship. Your argument is not convincing to me on the basis of lived reality. I'm also not a manlet (not that you are) but I have a pretty gentle demeanor and that seems to put women at ease; and I'm a bit nutty--like Sheldon on Big Bang nutty but dialed way back from 11-5. Could be that any women like you describe have already run the other way before I know they're there. I have known some women who really didn't like my "nice and very very polite guy" behavior, which while not an act on my part, is eccentric enough to be seen as such. But I've also known lots who don't fit the mold you describe. This isn't something we need to argue about, though, really. You're welcome to do you and I don't really have to worry about such concerns, so it's pretty much moot for me.

Fun difference between men and women: women hate to be caught checking you out unless they are actually interested in you particularly (as compared with, say, opportunistic ogling for the sake of ogling).

Really, I think it was way stupider in 2016.
I guess I meant for this cycle lol.

But I was definitely less aware of the situation in 2016.

FYI I'm going to bring one of your recent SlateStarCodex posts back in here later because it's exactly a problem I have, and even came up in a discussion between me and @Fawlty (not the one where he assumed I was a Technocrat psychopath).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back