• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawlty

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers to @salamander and salvia divinorum for the thread title

Mod Note: This thread is for general conversation and any other conversations to avoid derails in regular threads. If you find yourself going off topic in a thread, please quote the person's post, come in here, click "insert quote" and continue on in here. This is also still the War Room. Do not expect OT/Bare Knuckles rules in here.

I am the championship

Be calm please, the quarantine is only beginning.

I don't know how they were doing in the US before this. In Oz there was a massive drop in attendance in the mid 80s (chalked up to the VCR) and then attendance rates (ie "have you been to the cinema this year?") recovered, but frequency of visits began a long slow decline (ie "how many times have you been to the cinema this year?").
The number of cinemas has declined from @700 in the early '80s to @500 (matched by seating, so it's not just fewer, larger cinemas), certainly there's been no expansion with the massive population growth, just the opposite.
A much slower decline than department stores or video rental to be sure, but it looks pretty inexorable.
If cinema releases were no longer considered essential, and movies no longer rated by opening box office performance, I think the decline would steepen dramatically.
At the moment they seem to be delaying releases while the cinemas are closed, but I can't imagine they'll do that for long. There's already been a few movies announced that skipped/will skip cinema release, as well as the shortened big screen time for those already out of course.
Anecdotally, just as an example, when Frozen 2 came out my local theater ran a showing every 30 minutes from 9 am to last show, and I still had to buy tickets a week in advance. I get that if it was available at home right away they wouldn't pack in that many viewings, but I can't imagine, at least my local AMC, being anything but highly profitable, with its 12 dollar cheeseburgers (and 15 dollar double Maker's and diets for dad). I suppose Hollywood will increasingly benefit from going straight to video. But, people don't want to stay home. The theater is a great way to get out for a date, do something with the kids, be by yourself on a rainy day, whatever. It's entertainment. I guess my suspicion is really that, while theaters will continue to consolidate, there's a hard floor somewhere. A grand opening at theaters should always have more of an impact on the success of a big film than a straight to video release.

It's doesn't seem much like going to a department store, which is a chore and inconvenient for most people (except my wife).

thanks to @curryjunkie for making me find this arl video, the laughter it brought me is washing the 'rona rage right off

I wonder if y'all realize we now live in a world where if you suddenly cross the street because you see someone walking toward you they're likely to appreciate your courtesy.

Last edited:
Anecdotally, just as an example, when Frozen 2 came out my local theater ran a showing every 30 minutes from 9 am to last show, and I still had to buy tickets a week in advance. I get that if it was available at home right away they wouldn't pack in that many viewings, but I can't imagine, at least my local AMC, being anything but highly profitable, with its 12 dollar cheeseburgers (and 15 dollar double Maker's and diets for dad). I suppose Hollywood will increasingly benefit from going straight to video. But, people don't want to stay home. The theater is a great way to get out for a date, do something with the kids, be by yourself on a rainy day, whatever. It's entertainment. I guess my suspicion is really that, while theaters will continue to consolidate, there's a hard floor somewhere. A grand opening at theaters should always have more of an impact on the success of a big film than a straight to video release.

It's doesn't seem much like going to a department store, which is a chore and inconvenient for most people (except my wife).

Sure, but these things are largely technologically driven and despite the long existence and the amount of culture and tradition that surrounds cinema, this sort of upheaval seems like exactly the sort of thing that could tip a slow decline into something more precipitous.
No doubt there'll still be small indy cinemas. There's a popular one near me that does all the cult films, loves to do 3D schlock horror with a dramatic pipe organ opening. Not exactly the sort of thing that would be a regular event on a significant number of people's calendars though. Drive-ins still exist as well, as do book stores.
In terms of mass popularity, over here the department store and the cinema complex are the spine of the shopping mall consumerism experience, and it all seems to have had it's day.

Anyone else noticing they'll need a new bathrobe after all this is over? #hanginloose

Honestly, except for the actual virus pandemic part, quarantine is pretty great.

Working from home is great, having the fily all here is great, don't need excuses to ditch social events, frivolous spending is way down...

Although I do miss the gym and don't like the grocery situation. Also we just had an fire ban implemented (indefinitely) the day my pit was finally ready to go. :(

Ontario hit about 3200 cases today, a 462 person jump. It was expected as there was quite the backlog of testing. I think there are about 400+ hospitalized, and almost 200 in ICU.

Some good news is that 1200+ of those people are considered recovered.

Our premier is going to release the "model numbers" today in hopes that it scares people into respecting the social distancing rules. Toronto mayor implemented $5000 fines for standing within 2m of someone.

Honestly, except for the actual virus pandemic part, quarantine is pretty great.

Working from home is great, having the fily all here is great, don't need excuses to ditch social events, frivolous spending is way down...

Although I do miss the gym and don't like the grocery situation. Also we just had an fire ban implemented (indefinitely) the day my pit was finally ready to go. :(
Sounds like you need an outdoor fireplace to keep it contained instead of a fire pit... I think they don't fall into the burning ban regulations since it's contained.

Sounds like you need an outdoor fireplace to keep it contained instead of a fire pit... I think they don't fall into the burning ban regulations since it's contained.
I have a washing machine drum that I use as a bonfire pit

Best thing ever

Just give me some hot dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back