War Room Lounge v111: Err...I didn't mean to turn this into another thread about trouser lumber.

Pretzels or Saltines?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I like Adaptation. Meta and a really weird role for Nicolas Cage. I'll watch Malkovich at some point.
One of his very best performances. Ever see The Weather Man? Another very underrated Nic Cage movie.

One of his very best performances. Ever see The Weather Man? Another very underrated Nic Cage movie.

Nope. I generally avoid his movies cause I don't think he's a good actor. He excelled in that one though so maybe there's other worth taking a look. He's done so many bad ones that it's probably buried any good work he landed.

Nope. I generally avoid his movies cause I don't think he's a good actor. He excelled in that one though so maybe there's other worth taking a look. He's done so many bad ones that it's probably buried any good work he landed.
The Weather Man is great. I really enjoyed it.

Controversial but correct opinion: the Guardian of the Galaxy films are far and away the best thing Marvel has ever produced on the big screen.

Controversial but correct opinion: the Guardian of the Galaxy films are far and away the best thing Marvel has ever produced on the big screen.

Ok Goof.

I agree but I got sick of the whole Marvel thing by the time the first avengers movie came around. GotG didn't feel like a super hero movie but just a well written sci fi action flick that didn't take itself to seriously.

Iron Man is still the best MCU movie.

I agree but I got sick of the whole Marvel thing by the time the first avengers movie came around. GotG didn't feel like a super hero movie but just a well written sci fi action flick that didn't take itself to seriously.

I think the second one showed a lot of range for the director/producers. It has serious soul with strong elements of tragedy to go with the already-established effective pacing, good use of soundtrack, and tight use of motif. And all of that is accentuated, rather than overshadowed, by the incredible special effects.

Without the rest of the stuff, those special effects just feel bothersome and excessive. Like you're a moron being distracted with a shiny pair of keys. And that's my biggest problem with pretty much all other Marvel movies: they're all special effects and popcorn without inspiring any actual feeling. Even the famous "finger snap" moment didn't move me at all, because i didn't care about any of the shallow, shitty characters. Meanwhile, the death at the end of GotG2 was legit tear-jerking.

It also had one of my favorite montage scenes of all-time with the blue guy and the arrow.

I think the second one showed a lot of range for the director/producers. It has serious soul with strong elements of tragedy to go with the already-established effective pacing, good use of soundtrack, and tight use of motif. And all of that is accentuated, rather than overshadowed, by the incredible special effects.

Without the rest of the stuff, those special effects just feel bothersome and excessive. Like you're a moron being distracted with a shiny pair of keys. And that's my biggest problem with pretty much all other Marvel movies: they're all special effects and popcorn without inspiring any actual feeling. Even the famous "finger snap" moment didn't move me at all, because i didn't care about any of the shallow, shitty characters. Meanwhile, the death at the end of GotG2 was legit tear-jerking.

It also had one of my favorite montage scenes of all-time with the blue guy and the arrow.

Yea, I find most of those films pretty empty. They will have a five minute conversation and then it's interrupted by a fight scene. GotG wasn't really like that cause they built the characters well enough to keep a dialogue going. I know it won't happen but I really though when I saw the second one that the series itself could've been a great tv show. Any sci fi type genre is better for tv if the writing is good. Of course you sacrifice some of the higher budget effects but they didn't need it to keep it good.

Can you dumb this down for those of us who aren't familiar with orientalism?
I mean I am not a scholar of it myself, still haven't read Said.

I just mean that Aladdin is full of old school Orientalist tropes which was more about riding camels, flying carpets, belly dancers over burqas and such. Muslims as terrorists was a trope before 9/11 but nowhere as dominant as after. Even when something is trying to be liberal and sympathetic to Muslims its often framed in the context of the WoT which is booooring by now. So while Aladdin is a little too indulgent with the Orientalism, its still preferable to post 9/11 Orientalism
Watched Adaptation tonight and couldn't explain to my wife how the guy wrote himself into the movie. Even went to the beginning and showed how they put "Charlie Kaufman"'s name over Nicholas Cage portraying him and she was confused.
Bet you havent seen many films like that one. Really crazy adaptation. I saw an interview with the author of The Orchid Thief, took her some convincing to agree to this story. She met Charlie Koffmen at least once I think.

Last edited:
Outside of GotG, I'd pick that one next. The rest are a sharp drop off.
I think the second Captain America one is really good too.

Bet you ahvent seen many films like that one. Really crazy adaptation. I saw an interview with the author of The Orchid Thief, took her some convincing to agree to this story. She met Charlie Koffmen at least once I think.

Ha I bet she was like "wut?" How the hell do you even begin to pitch that? I actually want to know if he went through the same process of being unable to write a script until finally deciding to add that process into the film itself or if he always had it that way.

Anyone see the film "her". Pretty weird but I enjoyed it. A lot of absurdity to laugh at and felt unique.
Should have won the Oscar. An absolute genius sci-fi movie.

Should have won the Oscar. An absolute genius sci-fi movie.

It's odd but I never heard of it until seeing it. Looks like it won some awards. Not sure what, if anything, it was nominated for at the oscars

Outside of GotG, I'd pick that one next. The rest are a sharp drop off.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is way better than Iron Man 1, which was great.

It's odd but I never heard of it until seeing it. Looks like it won some awards. Not sure what, if anything, it was nominated for at the oscars
I think it got Best Original Screenplay, if I’m not mistaken. Well deserved. Spike Jonze is a goddamn genius.
I thought for sure that it was based on a book after I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back