War Room Lounge v111: Err...I didn't mean to turn this into another thread about trouser lumber.

Pretzels or Saltines?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one with ScarJo and Joaquin Phoenix? If so then yeah and I loved the movie. Wasn't crazy about ScarJo as the AI but could've been worse and Phoenix carried the film.

As a kid I loved Aladdin because of the Oriental aesthetic but then I rewatched it and kinda hated it for the rampant Orientalism of the film. Still, I vastly prefer pre-9/11 Orientalism over post-9/11 Orientalism.
Lots of movies I’ve loved over the years probably offend someone, no doubt for legitimate reasons in most cases, but I’m kind of clueless when it comes to that stuff. I can honestly say I’m thankful in a way, but with no disrespect.

My top 5 are probably:
Onward
Aladdin (nostalgia factors in a lot)
Coco
Moana
The Jungle Book or Lilo and Stitch

I didn't see them but my boy loved Coco and Moana and watched them multiple times so I think your taste is in his wheelhouse. We will watch Onward together next Saturday if not sooner. Thanks!

9252583d-ef1c-47c8-8e2a-a7e494c5262b.jpeg

Lots of movies I’ve loved over the years probably offend someone, no doubt for legitimate reasons in most cases, but I’m kind of clueless when it comes to that stuff. I can honestly say I’m thankful in a way, but with no disrespect.

Hey, if you've seen it where do you stand on Frozen 2? My boy loved the first film.

I didn't see them but my boy loved Coco and Moana and watched them multiple times so I think your taste is in his wheelhouse. We will watch Onward together next Saturday if not sooner. Thanks!
Cool. Your boy has good taste! Coco and Moana are both heavy on the music, pretty much defined by the soundtracks, Onward not so much, just FYI.
Hope you guys enjoy it, movie nights with the kids are my absolute favorite.

Hey, if you've seen it where do you stand on Frozen 2? My boy loved the first film.
Frozen was better imo because the soundtrack was way, way more catchy. Frozen 2 is good, but seems like it tried to mature with the kids and missed the mark a little. I like the story better in 2, though. My kids loved both, but my eldest knows every word and can act out every scene of the first one.

I’ll probably check these out. It’s been awhile since I’ve followed a directors works. I’ve fallen off watching movies for the most part so it’s nice when I invest 2 hours in one and it pays off

Yeah, if you liked "Her", you'll love his other stuff. Especially the other two highlighted films in that other post.

I've seen two other films directed by Spike Jonze, Being John Malkovich and Adaptation, and both are incredibly memorable and unique films.
Adaptation is suuuuuuuch a great movie

As a kid I loved Aladdin because of the Oriental aesthetic but then I rewatched it and kinda hated it for the rampant Orientalism of the film. Still, I vastly prefer pre-9/11 Orientalism over post-9/11 Orientalism.

Can you dumb this down for those of us who aren't familiar with orientalism?

If you like Nic Cage and Meryl Streep then definitely check out Adaptation. More of a Malkovich and Cameron Diaz fan then try Being John Malkovich. I personally prefer Adaptation, such a weird film with such an odd pay off but man I couldn't stop thinking about it when I first saw it.

Watched Adaptation tonight and couldn't explain to my wife how the guy wrote himself into the movie. Even went to the beginning and showed how they put "Charlie Kaufman"'s name over Nicholas Cage portraying him and she was confused.

Yeah, if you liked "Her", you'll love his other stuff. Especially the other two highlighted films in that other post.

Yea, I like Adaptation. Meta and a really weird role for Nicolas Cage. I'll watch Malkovich at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back